What Was Your Work Out Today?

Replies

• MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    dralicephd wrote: »
    The physiology of stress is real, y'all. The pandemic is making my work week very stressful and you can see it in my heart rate: It was at Zone 2 when I first stepped on the elliptical! Overall, I did 45 min. with ~35min. in Zone 3, ~5 min. in Zone 4, and ~5 min. in Zone 2. Nuts.

Anyway, the endorphins were greatly appreciated. Also, the burned calories will allow me to have some comfort food. :smiley:

I have really gotten into meditation the last few years. Really helps a lot with anxiety and feeling overwhelmed and stressed out. I also have a controlled breath/lung exerciser which has seemed to calm and make my breathing deeper. Allegedly (I have seriously low BP anyway), it's supposed to improve your blood pressure.

10K today unstrapped (with the bungee again) on the rower. Very easy stuff. Also did an hour yesterday split between LateralX and Assault Bike, again all easy steady state.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Gym session this morning. Core and lat work, including holding a plank and doing a slow kettlebell drag along the carpet under the stomach, dumbbell pullovers while lying on bosu, goblet squat down onto low box and return, etc.

Continued my quest to perfect my form during turkish get ups. My hip mobility and some right side oblique weakness continue to challenge me during transition from the "hip bridge to single leg kneeling" position. My form is ok when little/no weight is held aloft by the raised arm, but needs more work before attempting the move with a heavy kettlebell.

2.2mile walk tonight to add miles to the Winter Warrior team challenge.
  • JDMac82
    JDMac82 Posts: 3,192 Member
    Cadre PT
    Swim down and back a lap
    25 Reps Pushups / Situps / Air Squats
    Swim
    30 Reps
    Swim
    35 Reps

My Circuit with peers after work

4 Corners 45 sec Work / 15 sec Rest
    Jump Rope
    Kbell Swing
    Skier
    Rev Crunch

Flutter Kicks
    4 Corners Lunges
    Mtn Climbers
    Air Squats

Jump Rope
    Crunches
    Jumping Jax
    Lateral Movement On the Base line

Obliques
    Jog In Place
    Frog Burps
    Jack Knifes
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    252 minutes on my Elliptical for 17.1 miles.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    11,121 meters stationary bike, and that's all. Z3 and below, mostly Z2. Skipped the core exercises I usually do on bike days, because logistics, but poorly justified ones. 🤷‍♀️😆
  • JDMac82
    75 1/2 Jaxs
    75 Skier
    15 Pull-ups
    35 KBell Swing
    50 Leg Tucks

12/10/8
    Shrugs
    Support Rows
    Lat Pulls
    Bent Over Row
    V Bar Pulldowns
    Iso Pulldowns
    Meadow Rows
    Rev Grip Rows
    T Bar Row
    Dbell Row

Dirty Shirley 30 reps
    Situps/ Flutter Kicks/ Hip Lifts/ Mtn Climbers/ Hi Choppers / Cable Crunches/ Crunches

900 Reps
  • MikePfirrman
    edited January 2022
    Wanted to do something hard but not too crazy. Drug some of my toys for lifting out of the garage and on to the back deck with my rower.

Ended up doing 6 supersets of chest, legs, shoulders during the 6 minutes I programmed in the rower as "rest" during 500m sprints. Did six sets. That and a 2K CD took an hour and five minutes including dragging the stuff out of the garage (including a 25 kg KB and a 40 lb dumbbell).

Was working on higher DF and trying to maintain 30+ SPM on the rower sprints. Averaged around 1:56 or so on the set. Couldn't quite hold 30, it was more like 29 on the final 3 sets.

I believe around 850 or 860 calories on the hour. Hit 90% max HR on the last set. Rest were over 85% max.
  • JDMac82
    Rotations
    45 work / 10 rest
    JR
    Push-ups
    JR
    Situps
    JR
    Raise the Roof
    JR
    Flutter Kicks
    JR
    Frog Burps

Move upstairs, quickly

45 Sec Sprint @ 5 Inc, User Choice Pace
    Sprint
    20 KBell Swing
    20 Wipers
    Sprint
    20 Renegade Row
    20 KBell Press
    Sprint
    20 Devil Press
    20 Squat
    Sprint
    20 Wall Balls
    20 Crunches
    Sprint
    20 Dbell Snatch
    20 Mtn Climbers
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    Back at same-ol'.

Rowing machine, 3 x (2k on, 2' off/CD). Decided to shoot for just sub-2:30 pace throughout, see what happened along the other dimensions. I was working on that shoulder-extension thing from the Decent Rowing video mentioned up-thread, again, mostly; seems to be good for a low-effort-penalty second or two in split . . . most of the time I can get to the D-connector of the handle, if not the handle, hitting the housing, without shins going past vertical. I do need to remember not to over stretch from the shoulder, beyond connection: There's a right, balanced, zone of connection/extension, IMO.

Ended up at 2:28.1 pace overall (20spm), moderate-ish effort, with 27% Z4, 56% Z3, remainder below. I could tell (subjectively) that I was accumulating a little fatigue, but NBD. RPE seemed right for the zone, despite the COPD (yes, I'm subjectively obsessing about how that affects me, in various ways). Maybe I should push for sub-2:30 now, despite the Z4, see what happens?

The first 2k piece is the only one I could legit rank (because I actively rowed into #2 & 3). It would sit at 47 out of 111 so far this year in C2 rankings for my narrow reference group (F, 60-69, lwt), if I ranked it . . . which I won't, because it was a moderate+ steady state piece, not a race-pace effort. I feel OK about that, with my current orientation and goals. However, it's early in the season, and the hot race results from strong competitors aren't in the rankings yet! I'm a duffer, and contented with that, nowadays.

After the row, dumbbell supersets again, 45' because I'm conditioning deliberately, increasing sets and reps before increasing weight, and that takes time. 🙄 The usual idiosyncratic nonsense, formed around my personal imbalances & limitations: OHP, bench press, deads, tri extensions, bi curls, fly, side bend, pullovers . . . relatively high rep, low weight. Creeping into it, gradually, still. Patience, dangIt.
  • Bandiiit31
    Bandiiit31 Posts: 20 Member
    Had a fairly simple workout today. I did a fitness blender warm up, lower body tone/cardio, and then some flexibility stretches. Just trying to get back into the swing of things
  • dralicephd
    dralicephd Posts: 401 Member
    Yesterday saw 20 min. on the elliptical at a fast pace (mostly HR Zone 3, with small dips into Zone 4), followed by my standard small, "don't hurt yourself (again)" strength training routine. I increased the weight slightly on my rows and I feel ok. We'll see how that feels in my shoulder after a few days. I'm going to give it another week or so and then see if I can add some quads into the strength training.

Also, I did the strength training while in a Zoom training workshop. :D Your coworkers with their video and mic off might not be ignoring you, they are just maximizing their time in their busy schedules. Or something like that... hahaha..

• dralicephd

I have really gotten into meditation the last few years. Really helps a lot with anxiety and feeling overwhelmed and stressed out. I also have a controlled breath/lung exerciser which has seemed to calm and make my breathing deeper. Allegedly (I have seriously low BP anyway), it's supposed to improve your blood pressure.
    Thanks for this. It's a good reminder to make sure I'm incorporating some way to manage stress in a healthy way into my week.

Historically, yoga has helped me with this. Right now I'm still trying to organize my workout schedule so that I can maximize my rest days (to avoid further injury). Unfortunately this caused yoga to fall off the routine. I need to sort out how to at least get one good easy yoga day back into my week so I don't fall back into bad habits of "self medicating" with food. I'll get there...
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Finally gave the Zwift cycling app a try. Workout of the week was a 30 minute HIIT session called Sevens. Warm up, then 7 rounds of 30sec above threshold, 1min recovery power, then after a 3 min spin, a second set of 7 rounds before cooldown. I'd set my FTP too low, so it wasn't a killer ride. I"ll probaby sign up and use Zwift for my training rides this winter. Lots of chances for group spins with friends.

Took a 5 mile hike with a group during the warmest part of the day. Snowy and icey, so trail spikes were needed to make the climb to a waterfall that was mostly frozen and throwing off mist that froze on contact with the trees, making a beautiful winter scene.

• swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    269 minutes on my Elliptical for 18 miles.
  • MikePfirrman
    edited January 2022
    Did a really easy 15K meters on the rower yesterday.
  • dralicephd
    45 min. on elliptical (33 min. @ HR zone 3; the rest was mostly Zone 2), followed by my mini strength training routine. I increased some reps today and tried a lower incline of pushups for my last set. I was only able to do one! Hopefully I didn't nuke my shoulder in that attempt. I'll see how I feel tomorrow and readjust as needed during Friday's workout.

Happy Monday!
  • BarryTone99
    BarryTone99 Posts: 9 Member
    60 seconds of push-ups at the office at the scheduled times of 9AM and 3PM and whenever/if my Apple Watch ever says TIME TO STAND UP.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    Djproulx wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    [q My current program is 6 weeks and the next one is 10 weeks (with an 8 week alternative) so if I can start as I now plan to on Monday, January 31 I should still be able to fit in both programs. My 6 week plan starts out relatively gently as these programs go so hopefully I'm good for the 31st.

I did have another 4 week program I was going to run at the end leading up to the event, but that one will be out...but it was the least important anyway and it's just a lead up prep plan and I can just run it 4 weeks leading up to any particular event once I'm back in shape. The other two programs will definitely get me back into cycling shape.

orks out.

Sounds like a fun way to get into cycling shape. What plans do you use? Something online, such as the Trainerroad series, or a coached program?

Just using Zwift. They have some pretty good programs. My first priority is getting my FTP back up to something respectable as it has dipped quite a bit over these last couple of years of mostly being a weekend warrior on the bike.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    Walked the dog this morning and hit the weight room over lunch.