60 yrs and up

Options

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,052 Member
    Options
    Do not sure what is going on..I have been under or right at my calorie goal all week and have walked 3 days this week and I have gained back all the weight I lost in the last 3 weeks. I have to admit I did have a few chocolates this week but I did log them and still was under my calories. This is very frustrating. I ate the same 2 breakfast as I did the previous weeks, upped my water intake, weighed and measured my dinners and walked 3 days this week. Not sure what else to do. I'm not giving up but am very depressed with my results. I will have to be more careful with my food measurements and try get out for a longer walk and more often. Besides that I don't know what else to do.

Starting all over again this week.

If you're doing pretty much the same things that have been working for a while, I honestly think the best idea is just to stay with it . . . and try not to let it get to you. Bodies are weird.

I've been calorie counting for 7 years come April, and tracking daily weight (on graph paper first, then the Libra trending app) for even longer. I understand my body's flavor of weird pretty well at this point, I think. Most of the time, I can predict surprisingly accurately what my weight will do if I eat over maintenance, under maintenance but unusual macros/sodium, change workouts, etc.

But still, every once in a while, the ol' bod throws me a curve ball: A gain (or loss) I don't expect, suddenly, sometimes multi-pound. If I'm quite sure calories don't explain it, through any combination of movement and eating, then I've learned to pretty much let it ride, and go on with a proven routine. Sooner or later, the scale tends to end up in the predictable place . . . eventually.

Repeat: Bodies are weird. Please don't give in to depression.

If you haven't read this yet, I recommend it:

https://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    @alteredsteve175 I came down with COVID same time as you, even tho vaxxed & boosted. Only had 3 days of cold/sinus symptoms, pretty much better now, except still a little runny nose & a little drainage that I cough up. That seems to bother my asthma a little. Hard to figure out where I got exposed.
  • coblujay
    coblujay Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Great article, @AnnPT77 Hang in there @sistersue3285 It will come!!
  • trekkie123
    trekkie123 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Glad you’re feeling better Steve.
  • labelledaniele
    labelledaniele Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello I am 62 and need motivation. I have to lose 30 more pounds and the scale has been the same for over a month. I watch what I eat and drink lots of water, exercise on the treadmill every day for 40 minutes. Getting frustrated.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,052 Member
    Options
    Hello I am 62 and need motivation. I have to lose 30 more pounds and the scale has been the same for over a month. I watch what I eat and drink lots of water, exercise on the treadmill every day for 40 minutes. Getting frustrated.

@ridiculous_59 has it just right, IMO: What matters is calorie intake, and logging that routinely, and as accurately as possible, will be a help. Approximation, or eyeballing portion sizes, or relying on other people's recipe entries in the food database, etc., can work . . . until it doesn't. Then, care and accuracy in logging will highlight where the problem lies.

(One MFP-er reported, to her shock, that she had been eating nearly 1000 calories daily in condiments, dressings, cooking oils, and other "small" things that added up to big numbers, once she started logging every bite, lick, and taste. I'm not saying you're doing anything that extreme, but any of approximating/eyeballing/"cheat days"/skipping logging do have pitfalls, if relying on calorie counting to manage weight.)

Water and exercise are good for a body, but don't in themselves directly cause weight loss: The food side of things needs to be in place. I stayed at a stable class 1 obese bodyweight for over a decade in my 40s-50s, while eating healthy foods, training 6 days a week and competing as a recreational athlete, drinking plenty of water.

Personally, I think patience and establishment of consistent habits (including managing eating) are the key. Motivation or will power are - IMO - less important . . . but that may be because I'm very weak in both of those things. Figuring out relatively easy, relatively enjoyable habits I could stick with, is what's kept me at a healthy weight for 6+ years since losing 50+ pounds at age 59-60 . . . eating the same range of foods as when I was fat, doing the same exercise I was doing when fat, now just managing the calories.

Hang in there, sharpen up your logging accuracy if you can. Sometimes a plateau is just odd water retention, too - can clear on its own. If it doesn't, within the next couple of weeks of staying with your calorie goal, then something else will need adjustment. Careful counting can help figure out what to adjust.

If you've lost a lot already, and haven't taken a break at all at maintenance calories for many months, that's a thing to consider, too. More info about the how/why of that is here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks/p1

Best wishes for breaking through this weight stall - you can do it!
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    @SbetaK
    OMG! 10 days! I'm the oldest at work. I will be 65 in April. My stretch is only 3 days before my Saturday off. We have Sunday's off. (We have 1 person that works weekend days and 1 on weekend nights for emergency treatments.) Working 14 hour days but still have my 3 days off per week. And co-workers call me a workhorse? I can't imagine even 4 in a row let alone 10!!!!
  • nfll406
    nfll406 Posts: 30 Member
    Options

Same age, same amount to lose lavelledaniele. Need to check in with this group more often. Navigating MFP proves to be a challenge. Would like to put you on my friend list but even that is a challenge but add me and I'll except.
  • coblujay
    coblujay Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    @alteredsteve175 Thank you! I'm so excited to see what comes next as I shrink in size. This community is amazing!!