Tell me your favorite lifting straps!

Options
Have been using some straps my boyfriend has but never uses but really want some of my own. I specifically need them for RDLs if that is helpful info! Thank you in advance!

Replies

• claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I use these (quick release for Olympic lifts):
    y5jipbkyrnxs.jpeg

They’re safe if you need to dump weight and you could definitely use them for RDLs. Not everyone likes them but I prefer them to figure of eight straps or traditional powerlifting ones.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Versa grips for everything apart from deadlifts
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    Options
    Versa grips. I use em for rdls and pretty much everything else
  • nay0m3
    nay0m3 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! I will check your suggestions out!
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I use Cobra Grips, mostly because I didn't want to go along with the pack with Versa Grips. :lol: I doubt you'll be disappointed with either. Both are easier to use than straps but are a bit pricey. I've had mine for a couple of years now though and they are just starting to show some wear.
  • nay0m3
    nay0m3 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I decided to order Versagrips and will let you know how they are!
  • amiachesheere
    amiachesheere Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Totally get the need for your own lifting straps, especially for RDLs! I use Versa Gripps
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,505 Member
    Options
    I got a pair of Gymreapers for my first ever straps to try them out, $15 on Amazon with good reviews. I like them.

https://a.co/d/8U2rles
  • amiachesheere
    amiachesheere Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Totally get the need for your own lifting straps, especially for RDLs! I use Versa Gripps

Personally, I found these https://www.tuffwraps.com/collections/lifting-straps to be a game-changer. They're durable and give great wrist support, perfect for those heavy lifts. They've been a reliable companion during RDLs and other lifts. Give them a shot – you'll feel the difference!
  • rimcdave
    rimcdave Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I don't use them; to me they are cheating your forearms and grip strength. My grip is not the weakest point of my deadlift.

Many people consider forearm/grip strength to be the best representation of overall strength. If you are walking through the forest and a tree falls on your best friend it doesn't matter what your max dead lift is if you can't grip the tree and pull it off them.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,505 Member
    Options
    It's not cheating. Just don't use them for every set. I only use them for final sets on a couple of things, and they enable me to do more reps and more safely.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    rimcdave wrote: »
    I don't use them; to me they are cheating your forearms and grip strength. My grip is not the weakest point of my deadlift.

Many people consider forearm/grip strength to be the best representation of overall strength. If you are walking through the forest and a tree falls on your best friend it doesn't matter what your max dead lift is if you can't grip the tree and pull it off them.
    It’s an interesting perspective saying wrist straps are cheating. I have arthritis in my thumbs and I hookgrip (I’m an Oly weightlifter). In a volume session I will move to straps for the heavier pulls to save my thumbs killing me, as that allows me to continue to work the technique under heavier load. My legs, shoulders, posterior chain and chest will still get the benefit of the exercise but with reduced pain. Is that cheating 🤔
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    Options
    Straps aren’t cheating if your only goal is hypertrophy. I literally do not care one iota about my grip strength, 1 rep max or anything strength related. My only goal is to build muscle and if using straps helps with that goal then of course I will use them. Versa grips are what I use.
  • tattygun
    tattygun Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I like the most basic straps, the ones without rubber grips. Just plain straps, no padding either. They're cheap too.
  • beerfitter
    beerfitter Posts: 9 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    I did not see any recommendations for figure eight style straps. I find these to be the most easiest and efficient style of strap. For RDLS, these will work excellent or just about any deadlift, or row variation. I would not use them for Snatch or Clean & Jerks -- for those a hook grip is sufficient.

sfvdsy77hv5l.png

Back in the day when I was competing, I would hook grip deadlifts to my top sets (Goat tape on thumbs so I wouldn't have a rip out prior to the meet) and then back downs with the Figure 8s.

Straps can be an effective accessory to training, especially if you need to add some volume and grip is an issue.
  • beerfitter
    beerfitter Posts: 9 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    rimcdave wrote: »
    walking through the forest and a tree falls on your best friend it doesn't matter what your max dead lift is if you can't grip the tree and pull it off them.
    I don't think many people would be able to deadlift a tree even if they train their grip raw.

I do hope you train barefoot for the day a hangry tiger hunts you down.

• Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Great thread. My grip keeps giving out and I'm very slow to add any weight now to my DL, and starting to affect pull downs. I've just started to get arthritis in both thumbs so thinking I might not get much further - although it's my little fingers that give out first. Feels like grip strength is really important and maybe it'll help keep arthritis off. Not really sure what I want, if I want. Maybe for the last set is a good way to go. If I can work out the best type.