Coronavirus prep

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    SModa61 wrote: »
    So few more conversations since I first learned of my MIL.

Though she tested positive today, she was starting to feel sick Monday night. My reading just now says contagious 1 - 2 days prior to symptoms and DH left saturday morning, 2.5 days before her symptoms. From internet, omicron is supposed to show about 3 days after exposure. My other SIL (not the one with 2nd round covid) says that in her experience as director of a school, they are seeing symptoms show right on schedule 5 days after a known exposure. This evening my husband is at 5.5 from leaving his mother and slightly more than 5 days from his flight home. While he could be asymptomatic, I'll continue to monitor me as I am around people needing protecting. I have done tests two days ago (due to seeing my parents) and then again this evening as I have to drive my mother in the morning. So far, both tests were negative.

As for the free tests, when I logged on (Jan 18) it stated that shipping begins at the end of January. But I am curious how long will it take to distribute that number of shipments? Will people be still receiving theirs in April or longer? While the free tests are nice, I think they would have been a greater value to the community if distributed in December or before. But of course, hindsight is 20/20. Lastly, I wonder about receiving mine. I leave my current address on Feb 4. Will they forward shipped kits, or not?

FWIW, my BIL didn't test positive until the third day after he started having symptoms.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    T Cell "fatigue" or the phenomenon of multiple vaccinations and this issue is something the media picked up and SURPRISE - got wrong.

According to TWiV, that was something that was an issue with (I think) HIV.

Don't even go down that road. That narrative is faulty in regards to SARS-Cov2. I think it was last week's TWiV that just discussed this.

So I found the two sentence "discussion" from the TWiV folks about T Cell "exhaustion" and it's at 16:31 on this feed/discussion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILkdI4opLtI

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,572 Member
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    So, Meatloaf died of Covid. News is saying he was an anti-vaxxer. I’m sad now.

The article I read said he was against the vaccine mandates. Was something mentioned about him not being vaccinated as well?

Kind of ironically relevant?

https://youtu.be/yytlmLtk_lY
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Austria just mandated vaccines for all adults over 18. $700 (converted to US$) fines for non compliance.

I could get behind this for the US, if it was "for all adults over 50".
    With that restriction it would likely pass SCOTUS review since it targets the people most at risk and who are overloading/disrupting our healthcare system
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    They had to close our local elementary school on Friday, due to staffing issues related to Omicron.

I hardly go anywhere or do anything but my dd and I are trying to plan for a flight cross country in May and I sure hope things are better by then.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    @SModa61 Thank you for the info; I'll keep my fingers crossed we both have healthy and safe trips. :)
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    edited January 2022
    Theo166 wrote: »
    Austria just mandated vaccines for all adults over 18. $700 (converted to US$) fines for non compliance.

I could get behind this for the US, if it was "for all adults over 50".
    With that restriction it would likely pass SCOTUS review since it targets the people most at risk and who are overloading/disrupting our healthcare system

I disagree with that - I dont believe in tax penalising people for things beyond their control

Vaccination choice, smoking etc is within your control

Your age is not.

There is a clear health outcome connection between age and vaccination status. Targeting people 50+ is being smart about the whole pandemic, unlike how it has been handled.

And our goal should be to shift the scales by focusing attention on prevention for that age group. Any penalties should be modest rather than retaliatory (I don't support the $700 fine mentioned). We just need to reduce the pressure on the healthcare system, not get every single 'old person' vaxxed.

This approach also takes the wind out of the sales of many anti-vaxx arguments that hinge off of increased risk to younger people from side effects with their low chance of hospitalization or death.
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,829 Member
    oocdc2 wrote: »
    SModa61 wrote: »
    oocdc2 wrote: »
    After almost three years of being *so* gods-damn careful, I've got Omnicron. I'm vaxxed and boosted; I have mild symptoms and just tired all the time. My workplace mandates isolation for five days, complete masking for five when reporting to work; no negative test required. I hope my kids (also vaxxed, one boosted) can manage to avoid this.

Wishing you a speedy recovery and I hope your kids do manage to avoid it. I am hearing of household where that is the case (my younger sister is a case in point). With the way it seems everyone is catching COVID, I figure my turn will come soon.

On another note, I hope you don't mind me teasing you, but if you have been avoiding COVID for three years, then we need to put your clairvoyance to good use! (I get to cheat, my almost 2 year old grandson was born Jan 31, 2020, just as COVID was becoming a "thing".)

(Sorry I'm just replying to this!)

From the beginning of the pandemic to the fall of this year, we've just been very careful: always doing take-out, avoiding crowds, being consistent with mask wearing. My daughter also insisted when everything shut down for us to take the dog on long hikes every day at a park near our house, which I think went a long way physically and emotionally.

Once everyone was vaccinated, we started to ease up a little: my husband and I would go out to eat as long as it wasn't too crowded, and then we were all going out. My daughter (the one who likes hikes) wanted to return to the gym ASAP, so we started going back regularly. A couple of weeks ago, we were on the treadmills and and one hacking boi decides to plop himself in the treadmill right next to mine, even though there were empty treadmills all over the place to safely distance. I can't swear to it, but I think that's what did it.

Good news, I recovered fairly quickly--by this past Sunday, I was able to run a couple of miles with no issues. My youngest daughter gets her booster on Saturday, and then we'll all be up to date. :)

sounds like good news <3
  • LazyBlondeChef
    LazyBlondeChef Posts: 2,809 Member
    edited January 2022
    I'll play it by ear for future doses. Up until the last two years I didn't get flu shots because I've never had the flu but I decided to just in case. And also in the back of my head I thought I might start getting them as I got older (I'm 62) since my immune system would likely become less robust. I assume once this particular Covid wave is over that the spring/summer/fall months will not be too bad so maybe by next fall another Covid booster would be in order.
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,829 Member
    Somewhat unrelated topic. Finally ventured to a larger grocery store this morning because my local small one often does not have what I need lately. Well, guess what, I think the large one was even worse. I had to make compromises, or leave without, 50% of my list. IMO anyone saying the grocery stores are not impacted lately, and thus we the customers, is not doing any grocery shopping themselves. :)