Strategies for curbing a sweet tooth once its been activated.

dontlikepeople
dontlikepeople Posts: 132 Member
edited January 2022 in Food and Nutrition
I generally don't eat sugar or crave sugar (or flour, I actually despise pasta, and I'm picky about bread).

But there's an exception, once I do eat something sweet it's like I become an unhinged monster looking to devour the cosmos. It is important to be able to eat the occasional treat without eating a 2nd or 3rd (4th or 5th), so I've been brainstorming ways to curb it.

My two ideas so far: Pickles, or mouth wash. The idea here is that maybe the palette cleanse will help reset my appetite?

If you look at my post history, I have this weird issue with brownies, and I recently, in a lapse of judgement, mail ordered a box. So this is a great time to revisit advanced self control.

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member
    edited January 2022
    Can't really help you with that. I do have those occasional days, but then I accept it and move on. I also can't just order snacks in as it's not really a thing here. And shops are generally closed on Sundays apart from the occasional kiosk or petrol station (expensive, they store tobacco stuff right next to it :s ) So that helps.

As evenings are my most dangerous times I plan things I look forward to: like do the long run of the week during a weekday where shops might be open. I can't run with a stuffed stomach. Or just do something else to avoid boredom.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    edited January 2022
    For me the palate change/reset makes sense, so I was going to suggest pickles or maybe a bit of strong-tasting cheese.
  • dontlikepeople
    dontlikepeople Posts: 132 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    For me the palate change/reset makes sense, so I was going to suggest pickles or maybe a bit of strong-tasting cheese.

I don't know, cheese is pretty delicious too lol. Thanks!
  • silverstar65
    silverstar65 Posts: 184 Member
    I do granny Smith apple wedges dipped in peanut butter . 😋
  • LenGray
    LenGray Posts: 841 Member
    Pickles or a strong, sweet-tasting hot tea are usually my go-to, since I have a pretty wild sweet tooth. Other things that have helped (though not as consistently) are drinking diet soda or eating a fruit-based/healthier dessert.
  • perryc05
    perryc05 Posts: 206 Member
    edited February 2022
    Sugar is like cocaine -- at least in terms of the way your brain responds to it:

https://www.mic.com/articles/88015/what-happens-to-your-brain-on-sugar-explained-by-science

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/aug/25/is-sugar-really-as-addictive-as-cocaine-scientists-row-over-effect-on-body-and-brain

I'm not saying it's as bad for you as doing Coke.

But once you get into sweet treats your brain remembers the feeling and wants you to do it again and again. You just need to ride out the cravings and eat something with a lower GI and more nutrients instead. You can set up habits or a reward system that is healthier.
  • Walkywalkerson
    Walkywalkerson Posts: 453 Member
    I wish I knew the answer to this question!
    I cant just have 1 cookie etc ...
    Once I start it's game over for the whole packet.
    So I rarely buy them - the only way for me is to not have things like that in the house!
  • perryc05
    perryc05 Posts: 206 Member
    edited February 2022
    I would never say to anyone "don't eat it ever" but with cravings it's good to have a meta-understanding of them.

"The reviewed evidence supports the theory that, in some circumstances, intermittent access to sugar can lead to behavior and neurochemical changes that resemble the effects of a substance of abuse. According to the evidence in rats, intermittent access to sugar and chow is capable of producing a “dependency”. This was operationally defined by tests for bingeing, withdrawal, craving and cross-sensitization to amphetamine and alcohol."

From Avena et. al. (2008): https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2235907/