January Revolution Rowing Challenge

Wow, everyone put in some pretty impressive numbers in the Holiday Challenge. Anyone up for the January Revolution Challenge?

The details can be found at......https://log.concept2.com/challenges

I'm on the fence but leaning towards the The Haul (15 hrs) as I have a road race coming up in late February that I should get some running kms in ahead of.

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    I'll sign up for one of the categories, but I'm still mulling it over. The formats of this one don't fit my preferences well, so I'll probably sign up for one of the easy ones, most likely The Stretch (which I'd probably exceed without trying) or maybe The Haul.

I like a rest day a week, so The Big Stretch is out; I'm working on adding strength/core to my routine for the rest of off season so The Long Haul sounds unhelpful to that; and even The Burn (let alone the Big Burn) would have me doing more volume than during the Holiday Challenge. That last, while adding the other stuff to my workouts alongside, is not remotely appealing. It's not clear to me whether BikeErg counts half in these challenges as usual, and it's definitely helping me physically to alternate row and bike.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I'll sign up for one of the categories, but I'm still mulling it over. The formats of this one don't fit my preferences well, so I'll probably sign up for one of the easy ones, most likely The Stretch (which I'd probably exceed without trying) or maybe The Haul.

I like a rest day a week, so The Big Stretch is out; I'm working on adding strength/core to my routine for the rest of off season so The Long Haul sounds unhelpful to that; and even The Burn (let alone the Big Burn) would have me doing more volume than during the Holiday Challenge. That last, while adding the other stuff to my workouts alongside, is not remotely appealing. It's not clear to me whether BikeErg counts half in these challenges as usual, and it's definitely helping me physically to alternate row and bike.

It looks like bike time counts hour for hour, I may reconsider and go for the long haul as one of the Strava challenges I signed up for is 400 km on the bike in January.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,971 Member
    edited January 2022
    I signed up for the The Stretch -- min 500m/day for 20 days in the month which in my case is actually 10k meters/day for the 20 days or a total of 200k for rhe month.

I also signed up for the Virtual Team Challenge of Jan 1-31. My total meters rowed for the month will be the same as it always is at about 210-220k meters, depending on how many rowing days fit in based on my 5 day/wk rowing schedule
  • SomeMFPuser
    SomeMFPuser Posts: 53 Member
    Going to make an attempt at the The Long Haul. Who knows what life will bring each day, but it's a goal.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    I'd like to say I could participate but work is crazy and I'm trying not to get obsessed with my rowing meters and really go by feel and health. Best of luck on this one!
  • AnnPT77
    How's everyone doing? I did sign up for the easy one (The Stretch, 20 days of at least 500m), thinking I'd re-evaluate before the 10th, then forgot to re-evaluate before the 10th. 😆

Despite missing a couple of other regular days (because schedule weirdness) on top of my one official weekly rest day, I'm at day 14 of 20 complete now, so on track . . . not really a thing to brag about.

I cut back on rowing/biking to add lifting & core but keep similar time commitment, alternating workouts for 6 days a week, mostly. It's usually 6k+ row, 11k+ bike, takes around half an hour +/- with CD and such, so I probably wouldn't have gotten to the 15 hours it would've taken for The Haul without some extra effort. Very doubtful I'll get anywhere close to the 10,000 calories it would've taken for The Burn. (I'm probably only at around 4-5000 calories so far, tops.)

Good thing I signed up for the slacker one. 😆
  • SomeMFPuser
    How's everyone doing? I did sign up for the easy one (The Stretch, 20 days of at least 500m), thinking I'd re-evaluate before the 10th, then forgot to re-evaluate before the 10th. 😆

Despite missing a couple of other regular days (because schedule weirdness) on top of my one official weekly rest day, I'm at day 14 of 20 complete now, so on track . . . not really a thing to brag about.

I cut back on rowing/biking to add lifting & core but keep similar time commitment, alternating workouts for 6 days a week, mostly. It's usually 6k+ row, 11k+ bike, takes around half an hour +/- with CD and such, so I probably wouldn't have gotten to the 15 hours it would've taken for The Haul without some extra effort. Very doubtful I'll get anywhere close to the 10,000 calories it would've taken for The Burn. (I'm probably only at around 4-5000 calories so far, tops.)

Good thing I signed up for the slacker one. 😆

Not as well as I would have hoped.

I signed up for The Long Haul (30 hours). I will probably end closer to 20 hours.

Life had other plans for me for the last handful of days..
  • AnnPT77
    I hit my low bar yesterday, the 20 days of at least 500m for The Stretch. Generally, it was 20 days of 6k row (plus 700m-ish row in/out and CD) or 11k-ish bike (10k+3' CD), though there were a couple of shorter days in there because of schedule logistics. I'll get in a few more days before end of month.

I'm far off even the low end of the other options, so I guess it was good to pick this one? I didn't add up the details, but I'm estimating I've so far done about 9 hours (low bar on that challenge was 15 hours), something around 5,000-6,000 calories (of the 10,000 needed for the lower version of that challenge).

I could've gotten there, probably, but it was important to me to switch some effort to lifting and core exercises, too, and those have gone well, so I'm not regretting going easy on bike/row. I only have so much enthusiasm for Winter workouts, and pretty much zero discipline.

Holiday Challenge pin came in the mail this week, too.

Next up: Valentine Challenge, a super easy one - 14k row between 2/9 and 2/14, bike meters count half. That should happen just by accident, if I keep up my current workout schedule.

How are the rest of y'all doing? I think this January one tends to be harder than it seems - maybe because it falls in the post-holiday doldrums?
  • SomeMFPuser
    I hit my low bar yesterday, the 20 days of at least 500m for The Stretch. Generally, it was 20 days of 6k row (plus 700m-ish row in/out and CD) or 11k-ish bike (10k+3' CD), though there were a couple of shorter days in there because of schedule logistics. I'll get in a few more days before end of month.

I'm far off even the low end of the other options, so I guess it was good to pick this one? I didn't add up the details, but I'm estimating I've so far done about 9 hours (low bar on that challenge was 15 hours), something around 5,000-6,000 calories (of the 10,000 needed for the lower version of that challenge).

I could've gotten there, probably, but it was important to me to switch some effort to lifting and core exercises, too, and those have gone well, so I'm not regretting going easy on bike/row. I only have so much enthusiasm for Winter workouts, and pretty much zero discipline.

Holiday Challenge pin came in the mail this week, too.

Next up: Valentine Challenge, a super easy one - 14k row between 2/9 and 2/14, bike meters count half. That should happen just by accident, if I keep up my current workout schedule.

How are the rest of y'all doing? I think this January one tends to be harder than it seems - maybe because it falls in the post-holiday doldrums?

You did great by having a balance and most importantly doing what you felt is best for you to do.

I fell short of the 30 hour goal by 5.5 hours. Oh well.. All in all, it was my highest single month rowing ever: 285,648 There were days I simply didn't feel like exercising and I am totally fine with my decision even though the goal wasn't met.

As you say, the Valentines Challenge is much easier and then there's the March, which I also hope to accomplish.