Just starting

This by far has been the easiest app to use. I have type 2 and they keep putting me on different kinds of meds trying to keep my sugar in check. But what I finally decided is, it's ME who needs to get my sugar in check. I woke up 2 days ago and decided that my 223lbs for my 5'4" body was too much for me. (never been this heavy). So, got on fitnesspal and stopped 2 of the pills that was causing my weight gain, changed what food goes in my mouth, and I'm already down to 216. I've been "dieting" my entire life; from as early as I can remember. I'm not "dieting" any more. I am changing...

Replies

• JustJ2014
    JustJ2014 Posts: 5,314 Member
    @debismustang68 You are so right. It is all about the choices that you make. I made the same life decision in Oct 20 and have gone from 237 to 180. I only have 20 more pounds to go. I feel so much healthier. I believe in YOU! (even though you like Ford's🤣)
  • oakster69
    oakster69 Posts: 55 Member
    It sounds like you are on the right track. Make lifestyle changes that allow for good health. You can what what you want to in moderation. Happy learning!
  • awkwardalwaysaf
    awkwardalwaysaf Posts: 2 Member
    Can I ask what meds you were on that were causing weight gain? I've plateaued for a month and think it's due to meds.

Congrats on your achievements!! This internet stranger is proud of you!!
  • BrightEyedAgain
    BrightEyedAgain Posts: 243 Member
    What an inspiring post! I love your attitude. You're off to a great start.
  • debraah66
    debraah66 Posts: 62 Member
    You may friend me if you like. My diabetes is way out of control and I just am starting insulin. I've been on and off of here. Recently here I've lost about 13 but I lost some before I came back to mfp. I also just had gall bladder surgery which could be one of the reasons it is so out of control right now.
  • I am 57, weight 160 and have really high blood pressure. They've tried different meds to lower my BP. Nothing really takes it down as low as Dr would like. Im on Lisinopril, Amlodipine and Carvedilol. I am not a fan of exercising but hope between some walking and eating healthier I can change things around.
    I was about 105 for the majority of my adult life once menopause came at 53. I ballooned to my current weight. My foods and consumption amount is the same as when I was thin. Only now it packs on pounds.
  • hello8150
    hello8150 Posts: 1 Member
    I had gestational diabetes with my last baby, and I wasn't overweight or eating poorly. Just the luck of the draw. But MFP helped me tremendously! I was never able to control my blood glucose without insulin while pregnant, but I knownit could have been a lot worse if I hadn't been tracking my food. And I felt in the BEST health and shape of my life.

You go, girl!
  • lethaavon
    lethaavon Posts: 5 Member
    My Husband had to cancel a back surgery because his A1C was 9.2 so I started for him but realized I was overweight and needed to change my eating to stay healthy. When the scale at Dr. office said 198.2 I almost had a heart attack at 73. HA!!! Time for change.
  • anew45
    anew45 Posts: 17 Member
    Since your just starting out I would recommend a couple things to jump start your progress. Buy a digital food scale. People who weigh their food as they log will sometimes loose twice as much weight. I found that I was subconsciously lying to myself when I estimated portion size. If I was hungry the portions were smaller than when I was full. A scale is not subjective, you know exactly what your eating. Next I would pre plan your meals and even pre measure food portions. I eat similar foods every day for breakfast and lunch. This way I can just copy yesterday’s breakfast to today and just adjust things if needed. This helps in a lot of ways. Time in the mornings, keeping your dinner calories available, hunger control from carefully pre planned foods and times, and simplicity once you get things going. The only meal I leave unplanned is dinner and I weigh things as I put them on my plate. Drink lots of water throughout the day. Also eat high volume low calorie food whenever you can. I have a mixed vegetable salad with almost every dinner. I fill a separate plate with 10-12 ounces of mixed salad and vegetables and use a flavored white balsamic dressing and it’s 100 calories total for a filled full size plate. By doing this I can have 2 full plates of food at dinner. I’m always full and don’t feel deprived. It’s great to hear your taking this on yourself! Can’t wait to see your success story in the future!
  • mjglantz
    mjglantz Posts: 487 Member
    Good for you and we all know that "diets" don't work long term. We do have to make some changes and those have to be for life. I made the same decision in 2011 and gradually made changes that helped me to lose close to 90 lbs and I've kept it off close to 9 years. Feel great and now the healthier way I eat and exercise is just second nature. You are doing it!
  • KipDrordy
    KipDrordy Posts: 169 Member
    This by far has been the easiest app to use. I have type 2 and they keep putting me on different kinds of meds trying to keep my sugar in check. But what I finally decided is, it's ME who needs to get my sugar in check. I woke up 2 days ago and decided that my 223lbs for my 5'4" body was too much for me. (never been this heavy). So, got on fitnesspal and stopped 2 of the pills that was causing my weight gain, changed what food goes in my mouth, and I'm already down to 216. I've been "dieting" my entire life; from as early as I can remember. I'm not "dieting" any more. I am changing...

I agree. This app is very easy to use. Much easier than weight watchers, which is what my wife is doing. What she can’t do is share my meals. I entered a bunch of recipes that make adding my home cooked meals really easy. I divide it up into servings and get very accurate calorie counts. WW isn’t about calories. It penalizes carbs in favor of protein. It really throws us off when we plan meals. I like MFP’s integration with iPhone’s health app and importing data from fitness trackers. This is a very useful tool.
  • KarmaKamen
    KarmaKamen Posts: 42 Member
    I think it helps to look at counting calories as just a way to be more mindful about what you're eating. It's really easy to overeat or eat something that has a crazy amount of calories. Tracking definitely helps to keep things in check. Welcome and may your health improve. :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!