Lose 35lbs secretly?

Hey! I'd like to lose 35lbs without my family catching on and figuring out what I'm doing. Any suggestions?

Replies

• ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,048 Member
    Assuming the 35 lb loss would put you at a healthy weight, I’d say do it slow. Pick one small thing to change and do it until it’s habit then change another small thing. It’s a solid strategy whether you care if others notice or not.

If you’re calorie counting (a somewhat reasonable assumption on a calorie counting site), aim for a 100 calorie daily deficit. That will be ~ 1 lb per month and take the better part of a year. The challenge in calorie counting would be a 100 calorie deficit requires precision (I.e. a scale). But if you’ve bought in to the slow strategy, you can make gradual corrections based on body weight scale.

Key to the slow strategy is using a weight trend app or algorithm. It helps to see through normal (healthy) scale fluctuation. Also key is patience. You will not get immediate gratification on the scale.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    why in secrecy?
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    One never has to advertise their weight loss plans or goals. I don't usually make a big deal of it. I just do it. After all, it's for my own purposes, not anyone else's. If you're talking about refusing extra foods at family get togethers, come up with some reasonable sounding replies beforehand. Make sure you serve lots of veggies so you still look like you're eating a fair amount of food, just different healthier versions. Lots of substitutions can be made to make things less calories without people noticing.

I guess I can see why someone might want to keep it a secret because for some odd reason, some people feel the need to sabotage goals of another, push foods, tempt them, etc. It doesn't help to hear others say 'oh you look fine, why are you trying to lose weight, etc'. Statements like that can make me weaker in my endeavors, make me more tempted to have 'just 1 bite', therefore temptation becomes much harder for me to avoid. That's just me though. :/ Or people then feel the need to have discussions about their own opinions of how to do it the 'right way'. :)

Good luck!! As I'm sure you realize, losing 35# will get noticed along the way and you'll have to find ways to deal with that. :) I always visualized walking into a room and everybody going 'wow! Have you lost weight? You look great!' type of reaction after not seeing people for awhile. Maybe that's your goal for doing this? IDK but I wish you well.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    One never has to advertise their weight loss plans or goals. I don't usually make a big deal of it. I just do it. After all, it's for my own purposes, not anyone else's.

plenty of us do, or did that. I did. but this.... feels different.