What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    fr3smyl wrote: »
    I don’t like Chinese food but I’ve never been to China.

Never been to China either. But while I love American Chinese food, British Chinese food is absolutely disgusting.

This could be unpopular .. but I’ve spent time all over China .. and the food tasted exactly like what I get in NYC. 🤷🏼‍♀️ (Didn’t go to touristy joints either … )

I was expecting more of a difference based on many saying how different the Chinese food was in China. (Or we could have some great places here in Chinatown.)

I think the food you'd get in any big city Chinatown restaurant would be much closer to what you'd get in China. In New York, San Francisco, or here in Chicago, the restaurants in Chinatown cater mostly to the local Chinese population, so it tends to be more authentic.

Not that I dislike my local Chinese carry out place (run by Chinese immigrants). But they do cater more to Western tastes.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Apple cider is a far superior flavor than pumpkin spice!
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    Adding another in the ring: icing is gross. The texture is weird, and it usually tastes like sugary Styrofoam. Either glaze it, butter it, or leave it plain.

I would SO agree with you regarding that icing you describe. Practically every grocery store cake is covered with the stuff! However, frosting can be SO yum if it's made with 'real' ingredients! Most grocery cake frostings have corn syrup, artificial flavor, oils and then 10 or more other questionable things....

omg yes. I made home made buttercream icing and it tastes NOTHING like the garbage you buy in the stores.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    I don't like strawberry shortcake
  • Bovinity55
    Bovinity55 Posts: 86 Member
    edited January 2022
    Dill pickles of any type are disgusting. I keep trying them hoping I can overcome my aversion to them, but it’s not happening!
  • dralicephd
    dralicephd Posts: 401 Member
    I despise coffee. When I was pregnant, my husband had to move his coffee-making operation to the garage because the mere smell of it would make me vomit.
    Non-pregnant me can tolerate the smell, but please don't make me drink it.
  • Walkywalkerson
    Walkywalkerson Posts: 453 Member
    Nutella is gross it tastes like cheapo value chocolate 🤢
    KFC is poison!
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Nutella is gross it tastes like cheapo value chocolate 🤢
    KFC is poison!

I agree!
  • Ashkea76
    Ashkea76 Posts: 7,094 Member
    I can't stand beer. Of any sort. I've had so many friends think I just need to try "THIS" kind of beer, but no, I have hated them all. Mixed drinks? SURE! I've tried and enjoyed different ones, but beer, I just can't. I don't mind it IN things- like I've made beer-braised chicken thighs, and beer bread, but by itself? NO. Hard pass.
  • Ninkasi
    Ninkasi Posts: 173 Member
    Ashkea76 wrote: »
    I can't stand beer. Of any sort. I've had so many friends think I just need to try "THIS" kind of beer, but no, I have hated them all. Mixed drinks? SURE! I've tried and enjoyed different ones, but beer, I just can't. I don't mind it IN things- like I've made beer-braised chicken thighs, and beer bread, but by itself? NO. Hard pass.

Ha, I'm the same way with wine! All wine, any wine. It all tastes like vinegar and tannic acid with an alcohol burn behind it. And I'm so tired of people saying "Oh, you haven't had good wine then!" Yes I have. I have friends who are super into wine and I go with them to tastings every now and again because I do keep an open mind and overall, the events are fun. I've had highly rated wines at all price points, even crazy expensive wines, and it's all horrible.

And I agree, people who are like "Try this! You'll like it!" are the worst. No, I won't! Leave me alone! :D
  • sbelletti
    sbelletti Posts: 213 Member
    Avocados are revolting.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,707 Member
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    I don't like strawberry shortcake

Me either
  • VegjoyP
    *getting ready for disagree fairy*

Cheese and dairy s cause of many hormonal issues and obesity

Women over 30 definately need to at least completely minimize cheese to be lean unless they are living in a different country

Food in America is cause of many health problems.

• VegjoyP
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Why do women in the US need to minimize cheese and not, say, women in France?

First our " cheese" is mostly not the same - what cows eat affects the dairy. Most cheese here has something added. Women in other countries move more and eat less over all, cheese adds a lot of calories quick. Cheese is often coupled with other less nutrient dense ingredients.
    I am simply stating what I have observed in 20 plus years of personal training, nutrition coaching and working in health and wellness establishments. I did not think anyone would see it this way and that is ok. We are all invited to our observations experience and opinions.
    I also noticed a tremendous change giving up dairy
  • paints5555
    paints5555 Posts: 1,228 Member

VegjoyP wrote: »

Most cheese here has something added.

Curious as to what you think is added to cheese in the US that is not part of cheese made in other countries?
  • VegjoyP
    edited February 2022
    VegjoyP wrote: »
    Why do women in the US need to minimize cheese and not, say, women in France?

First our " cheese" is mostly not the same - what cows eat affects the dairy.

American cheeses are extremely varied (see Ann's thread for one source). Not sure why you think you can generalize as to what is added or how the cows are fed. Also (rather obviously), plenty of cheese available here is imported from other countries, including France.
    Women in other countries move more and eat less over all

Depends on the woman, and women in the US who want to be lean can certainly choose to move more and eat an amount of other foods that allows room for cheese without sacrificing leanness.
    Cheese is often coupled with other less nutrient dense ingredients.

It's also often eaten on its own or with fruit, etc.

I am not questioning whether giving up dairy was helpful for you -- plenty of people have issues with dairy and there are often genetic reasons, and certainly cheese is not low cal. I also believe that you pursue a vegan diet, so perhaps have ethical issues with dairy. I am taking issue with the idea that there is something unique to American women over 30 that means we all should avoid cheese.

All good insights I am sure, and yes there are imported cheeses, yes there are slim women who may eat cheese and the ethical part came AFTER my vision and personal experience with dairy..
    that being said- this is a post about unpopularity, and I knew it would spark reaction, but I did not do it as an instigation, just an opinion I have and an overall experience with other women.

I could rephrase it to- I have experienced and worked as a wellness professional with a lot of women who have weight difficulties that were mitigated through switching to non-dairy. I know women who (admittedly) have a high consumption of cheese and weight issues. In recommending this protocol of non dairy they have much better success.
  • VegjoyP
    Another thought is, what are you willing to sacrifice or change to get to a goal, weight loss or body comp status? Many people are compounded with a weight loss goal that is sometimes harder to maintain. Many people also fail to realize it truly is a lifestyle change and it's better to be accepting and aware of the truth about yourself.

I competed in figure competitions and know how to get there but I would rather not go to that level and be that strict.