Women 200lb+, Let's Start Strong This January!!!

Replies

• lmgoff232
    lmgoff232 Posts: 277 Member
    Height: 5'10"
    HW: 290.6 (4/19/2021)
    SW: 287.4 (7/16/2021)
    CW: 232.2 (1/1/2022)

GW for January: 225
    GW for 2022: 170
    UGW: 170

1/1: 232.2
    1/8: 230.6
    1/15: 227.8
    1/22: 228.0
    1/29: 227.8

Grrr, this is the first time I haven't met my monthly goal weight. I think I have hit a dreaded plateau/stall. Does anyone know if when you retain water due to strength training/muscle repair, does it eventually taper off/whoosh back down, or does it stay elevated as long as you keep up the activity? I know I have been within my calorie range, and I just adjusted it in mid December for my current weight so it is accurate. I also tightened up my logging for the few items that I used sizes/cups for (morning coffee/creamer & eggs are now weighed on the scale). I even exported all my weights and intake and did a spreadsheet to make sure I wasn't one of those "statistical outliers", lol. I was actually ahead of the curve, losing about 2 lbs more than average, for the period of July-Dec. So I have no idea why the scale isn't moving. Time to go digging through the forums and figure out the best way to break this stall I guess 😔.

Goals for January:
    - Meet protein goal at least 3x weekly ❌ 1 of 7
    - Meet fiber goal at least 3x weekly ✔ 4 of 7
    - Eat out no more than 1x per week ✔
    - Get minimum of 6000 steps daily ❌ 5 of 7
    - Drink minimum of 8 glasses water daily ✔

Goals for 2022:
    - Incorporate weight training and work on improving my muscle definition: week 3 of weights completed 😁 (although I only did 1 day out of my planned 2 this week)
    - Reach my goal weight and move into maintenance: A long ways off still
    - Plan for and make self care a priority at least quarterly (massage, mani/pedi, etc) : Will plan something for mid to late March
  • cowgirlslikeus86
    cowgirlslikeus86 Posts: 597 Member
    lmgoff232 wrote: »
    Grrr, this is the first time I haven't met my monthly goal weight. I think I have hit a dreaded plateau/stall. Does anyone know if when you retain water due to strength training/muscle repair, does it eventually taper off/whoosh back down, or does it stay elevated as long as you keep up the activity? I know I have been within my calorie range, and I just adjusted it in mid December for my current weight so it is accurate. I also tightened up my logging for the few items that I used sizes/cups for (morning coffee/creamer & eggs are now weighed on the scale). I even exported all my weights and intake and did a spreadsheet to make sure I wasn't one of those "statistical outliers", lol. I was actually ahead of the curve, losing about 2 lbs more than average, for the period of July-Dec. So I have no idea why the scale isn't moving. Time to go digging through the forums and figure out the best way to break this stall I guess 😔.

Goals for January:
    - Meet protein goal at least 3x weekly ❌ 1 of 7
    - Meet fiber goal at least 3x weekly ✔ 4 of 7
    - Eat out no more than 1x per week ✔
    - Get minimum of 6000 steps daily ❌ 5 of 7
    - Drink minimum of 8 glasses water daily ✔

Goals for 2022:
    - Incorporate weight training and work on improving my muscle definition: week 3 of weights completed 😁 (although I only did 1 day out of my planned 2 this week)
    - Reach my goal weight and move into maintenance: A long ways off still
    - Plan for and make self care a priority at least quarterly (massage, mani/pedi, etc) : Will plan something for mid to late March

Try to switch to measuring your body with a tape instead of a scale when you hit plateaus. This generally works for me when I am working out. I can still be getting smaller and toner but the scale doesn’t move for a bit or sometimes I even gain a few. Yes your muscles need water for repair. You also need protein for proper repair. I am not sure what macros your on but try upping your protein and healthy fats and lower your carbs for a couple weeks. Switching up my macros and being patient for a couple weeks usually helps me! Hang in there!
  • cowgirlslikeus86
    cowgirlslikeus86 Posts: 597 Member
    HT: 5'9"
    GW: 165ish
    NSV: Goal: Trail run 6+ miles at a time without needing to walk

HW (Dec 21'): 214

1st GW (Feb 4th (B-day)): 196

1/1: 207.1
    1/8 : 204.9. (-2.2)
    1/15: 202.2 (-2.7)
    1/22: 198.7 (-3.5)
    1/29: 194.4 (-4.3)

Crazy! I don’t think I’ve ever lost more than 3 lbs in a week (after the first week of dieting). I have always struggled to stay under my calorie allotment during weight loss in years past and also use to eat all my exercise calories back. Now, I find that some days I eat 2000 calories and some days I eat 700. I wonder if this sort of daily swing along with consuming most or all of my calories between 11am-7pm is helping. I am also nursing a back injury so my exercise is hiking,walking and yoga. I usually run and lift when I am loosing weight. Interesting things to ponder.

Well I met my January goals (except I’m not running yet due to my back) and I’m excited for next month!
    Here’s to February!
  • sandielewis2001
    sandielewis2001 Posts: 318 Member
    My favorite winery is running an instagram contest to pair their wine with your best grilled cheese recipe. My wife and I each came up with a decadent recipe to be made today. Then we put them into MFP 😲. We decided to only make one of each sandwich which we would split and went on an extra long walk to earn enough calories to enjoy the wine! Love that we could find balance in our diet and we were still able to close our diaries in a deficit for the day!

For lunch we had the “smokehouse” grilled cheese made with homemade sourdough, smoked brisket (6oz), smoked Colby jack (2oz) and smoked cheddar (2oz)

ty8627zzfzy1.jpeg

For dinner we had the “southern” grilled cheese made with homemade sourdough, southern pimento cheese (also homemade) and bacon

5usulewlgptj.jpeg

Which grilled cheese would you vote for?
  • sarah12277
    sarah12277 Posts: 210 Member
    January Challenge Weigh In Day

Age 45
    Height 5'4"
    SW 249 3/2020
    CW 220.2
    GW for January 215
    UGW 145

1/1: 220.2
    1/8: 218.6
    1/15: 217.2
    1/22: 217.8 Happy Birthday to me
    1/31: 218.4
    Total month loss: 1.8

Monthly goals:
    Hitting water goal -8 cups a day
    Gym 3x during the week
    Strength training 1x per week

Weight is back to the down side. Yesterday was down to 217.2. That's after having a high calorie day Saturday. So this month is down. Just have to keep going further.
  • FushiaKat
    FushiaKat Posts: 512 Member
    FushiaKat wrote: »
    One of my goals is to not leave the clothes in the dryer, but that is just not real life. Maybe I should change it to: do not leave the clothes in the dryer for more than 2 days at a time. >:)

hee...will you need to stick a magnetic dry erase board to the dryer to make sure you *know* how long something has been there? (I'm not judging--in my house since all three of us do our own laundry, stuff often sits in the dryer till the next person needs to use it.)

Laughing, there's only my husband and myself and he does not do laundry 🙄so I can keep up with how long I left it there. So far, I've only left it 2 day's once last week. I am improving! 😁
  • sandielewis2001
    sandielewis2001 Posts: 318 Member
    One of my goals is to not leave the clothes in the dryer, but that is just not real life. Maybe I should change it to: do not leave the clothes in the dryer for more than 2 days at a time. >:)

hee...will you need to stick a magnetic dry erase board to the dryer to make sure you *know* how long something has been there? (I'm not judging--in my house since all three of us do our own laundry, stuff often sits in the dryer till the next person needs to use it.)

Laughing, there's only my husband and myself and he does not do laundry 🙄so I can keep up with how long I left it there. So far, I've only left it 2 day's once last week. I am improving! 😁

My wife has a pet peeve about laundry. All laundry must be completed, folded, hung up and put away before the end of the day. Laundry is NEVER left in the dryer or unfolded in a basket. It was adjustment when she moved in for sure!
  • kenziestabes
    kenziestabes Posts: 338 Member
    In my goal range! Will definitely get to one-derland in February. The question is when.

Review of my January goals:
    -Weightlifting: I did it a handful of times but not as much as I would like. I also need to sign up for a proper gym with squat racks and machines.
    -Dog walking: I did fairly good on this one! Weather permitting was the real challenge. There were a couple of times my stairs were iced over or the sidewalks over-salted that simply took walking the dog off the table, but I was fairly consistent when I did, and it seemed to help when it was time to put her up so I could work.
    -Jog 2 miles once a week: I jogged 1 mile once a week. Does that count? Need to work on my speed and endurance.

Over all, good month. Happy with my results.

Height: 5'10"
    Starting Weight: 246.9
    Weight as of 4 January: 206.6
    Goal Weight for January 2022: 200-203
    Ultimate Goal Weight: 165 pounds
    Weigh In Days for January: Mondays

03 January 2022: 206.9
    10 January 2022: 206.6
    17 January 2022: 206.5
    24 January 2022: 203.9
    31 January 2022: 202.0 (-1.9 pounds)

Pounds to lose until UGW: 37

Goals for January:

- Get back into weight lifting
    - Weather permitting, take puppy on 2 15-20 walks a day
    - Jog 2 miles once a week

Goals for 2022:

- Reach goal weight of 165 pounds, +/- 5 pounds
    - Get to where I can do 20 push-ups in a row no problem
    - Hike moderate difficulty trails at the nearby national park
    - Slowly buy new wardrobe for smaller size clothing.
    - Explore new career opportunities, including those with fitness standards
  • drj63
    drj63 Posts: 59 Member
    @sandielewis2001 Oh my goodness, both grilled cheese look and sound amazing! If I can't vote for both, the southern pimiento cheese/bacon would be my choice!
  • FushiaKat
    FushiaKat Posts: 512 Member
    My favorite winery is running an instagram contest to pair their wine with your best grilled cheese recipe. My wife and I each came up with a decadent recipe to be made today. Then we put them into MFP 😲. We decided to only make one of each sandwich which we would split and went on an extra long walk to earn enough calories to enjoy the wine! Love that we could find balance in our diet and we were still able to close our diaries in a deficit for the day!

For lunch we had the “smokehouse” grilled cheese made with homemade sourdough, smoked brisket (6oz), smoked Colby jack (2oz) and smoked cheddar (2oz)

ty8627zzfzy1.jpeg

For dinner we had the “southern” grilled cheese made with homemade sourdough, southern pimento cheese (also homemade) and bacon

5usulewlgptj.jpeg

Which grilled cheese would you vote for?

OMG your making me hungry, those look Delicious!!

• kenziestabes
    kenziestabes Posts: 338 Member
    Any updates on a February thread?
  • sargemarcori
    sargemarcori Posts: 301 Member
    Height: 5'
    SW: 266.6 (1/4/21)
    SW November: 233
    SW for December: 234.7
    SW for January: 233.5 (blargh!)
    GW for January: 225
    GW for October 2022 because that's my focus: 165

1/7: 232.4
    1/14: 230.6
    1/21: 233.0
    1/28: 232.6

BUT THEN 1/30 was 236! but I have a gum infection so I'm just not going to worry about it. i'll keep eating well and walking and maybe I just won't weigh in until this is all cleared up?

Argh.

• goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Any updates on a February thread?

Our Fearless Leader usually makes the new month's thread on the first, and also helpfully posts here with the new thread's title. :)