New members

Replies

• Revlish
    Revlish Posts: 62 Member
    Hi All, Just joined the group. Last couple years have been challenging and need to drop some weight. I would love to lose 50 pounds and regain some energy. I am tired all the time and haven't been exercising due largely to my work schedule. Just trying to get back on a healthy track and feel good about myself.

Yay! Me too Michelle! Welcome. <3
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,814 Member
    Hi All, Just joined the group. Last couple years have been challenging and need to drop some weight. I would love to lose 50 pounds and regain some energy. I am tired all the time and haven't been exercising due largely to my work schedule. Just trying to get back on a healthy track and feel good about myself.

Welcome aboard! Been there, done that... (the weight, the energy) and it can be done!!
  • UncleMac
    Revlish wrote: »
    (cross posted from the "January 2022" thread. 'Cause I'm a derp. hahaha)

Hi there! I'm Calleaghn (but Rev is fine) and I've been on myfitnesspal off and on for a long time.
    I just finished a year of Noom and loved it! Ready to transition out of there and into a more ongoing support system for continued fitness and weight loss. And just general lifeyness. :D

I'm new to this group. Live just South of Seattle, a grad student, musician, avid reader, scifi fan and gamer. Dancing is my favorite work out, but I also do HIIT and weights, and whatever else catches my fancy. I love to skate and am currently looking for some local folx to do it with. Though I will definitely go by myself and make new friends there if that's how it goes down. lol

I'm 58 and still recovering from a long term chronic illness. Just diagnosed with COPD last year and been having some joint issues for awhile. I keep modifying movement to work for me where ever I am. When I don't, things just get worse. Last two years were rough, starting before COVID, and this past year I've been coming out of it finally. I've lost 40 pounds and want to drop another 30, at least.

The thing I most proud of from the past year is that I've gotten hooked on exercise in a way that's made everything better- my mood, my energy, my body, my joy level. Even when I'm hurting and fatigued, I find some way to move joyfully, even the littlest bit, and it feeds my everything.

Thanks for being here! I hope to get to know some of you as the days roll on... <3

Same age as me, Rev. Welcome aboard!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    edited January 2022
    Welcome, @Michelle923 and @Revlish (Calleaghn)!

Michelle, you're starting with about the same goal I had at first, 50-ish pounds to lose: You can hit it!

Calleaghn, your paragraph near the end about exercise really resonated with me: I stumbled into a similar realization pretty long before I got smart enough to lose weight (started being active in my mid-40s after cancer treatment, didn't lose weight until 59-60). Stronger/fitter can really improve quality of life in diverse and sometimes surprising ways. (I also share your COPD diagnosis and some joint issues, but in my case, all of that so far has thankfully stayed workable.)

Glad to see you both joining us in 2022!
  • RockinMBC
    RockinMBC Posts: 47 Member
    edited January 2022
    Hey all!

I’m back on MFP after a 6 month break. I topped out at my highest weight ever in December and decided to put an end to that trend! We started out the year doing some hikes and trail walking - but sometimes the weather doesn’t fully cooperate. Been hitting the treadmill 5 days a week - and I’ve been really enjoying it!

I only have a few active friends left here on MFP - and would love to have a few more! I’m 57 - a long-time punk/garage musician (I took up banjolele as a COVID project), and currently play in a new old-timey jazz, punk, blues duo with my husband for fun.

Hope y’all are having a great weekend!
    Melanie
  • UncleMac
    RockinMBC wrote: »
    Hey all!

I’m back on MFP after a 6 month break. I topped out at my highest weight ever in December and decided to put an end to that trend! We started out the year doing some hikes and trail walking - but sometimes the weather doesn’t fully cooperate. Been hitting the treadmill 5 days a week - and I’ve been really enjoying it!

I only have a few active friends left here on MFP - and would love to have a few more! I’m 57 - a long-time punk/garage musician (I took up banjolele as a COVID project), and currently play in a new old-timey jazz, punk, blues duo with my husband for fun.

Hope y’all are having a great weekend!
    Melanie

Welcome back!
  • ciscosdad
    ciscosdad Posts: 70 Member
    Longtime MFP user. I took a break for a couple of years, tried WW and Noom, now I'm back and everything is different. Im looking to find active groups for motivation and fun.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 12,945 Member
    ciscosdad wrote: »
    Longtime MFP user. I took a break for a couple of years, tried WW and Noom, now I'm back and everything is different. Im looking to find active groups for motivation and fun.

Welcome back!

I bet the basics haven't changed much, but some things sure have. Don't worry - there are still bugs. They keep inventing new ones.

This group is only minimally active. You can help change that!
  • jastrino1235
    jastrino1235 Posts: 5 Member
    Hello
    Been using MFP for a while with times of “unfaithfulness”. Yo-yoing weight, now at 201–just finished our first cruise almost a month ago. Wanting to get more serious about health before it’s too late. Will be 70 in October. Just upgraded to Premium a couple days ago. Have a goal of 160 lbs (based on my height). Have been as low as 179 a few years ago. Joining this group for help. Will try checking in DAILY. Already saw some interesting posts!
  • mtaratoot
    @jastrino1235

It's never too late, and it's for SURE never too soon! Good on you for starting back today rather than waiting until tomorrow. There is no tomorrow, just today.

Remember what Warren Miller used to say at the end of his movies when he encouraged us to all get out there? He said, "Remember, if you don't do it now, you'll be a year older when you do."

I am looking forward to reading of your success.
  • CrankyGoat2
    CrankyGoat2 Posts: 6 Member
    I'm 50+ and weigh around 250 lbs; otherwise healthy and physically active with love of the outdoors; exploring the OMAD lifestyle with a Low Carb component to help truly kick in the weight loss. Besides, much of the research I've explored indicates it is a good lifestyle choice to make when in the 50+ category and physically active.

Seeking like-minded MFP "Friend's" to help encourage; educate; and support each other along our respective journeys
  • UncleMac
    ciscosdad wrote: »

Welcome back!
  • UncleMac
    Hello
    Been using MFP for a while with times of “unfaithfulness”. Yo-yoing weight, now at 201–just finished our first cruise almost a month ago. Wanting to get more serious about health before it’s too late. Will be 70 in October. Just upgraded to Premium a couple days ago. Have a goal of 160 lbs (based on my height). Have been as low as 179 a few years ago. Joining this group for help. Will try checking in DAILY. Already saw some interesting posts!

I'm curious about premium. Do you notice any remarkable differences?
  • UncleMac
    I'm 50+ and weigh around 250 lbs; otherwise healthy and physically active with love of the outdoors; exploring the OMAD lifestyle with a Low Carb component to help truly kick in the weight loss. Besides, much of the research I've explored indicates it is a good lifestyle choice to make when in the 50+ category and physically active.

Seeking like-minded MFP "Friend's" to help encourage; educate; and support each other along our respective journeys

How cranky? Should we be afraid??
  • jastrino1235
    @mtaratoot
    Thanks for the encouragement
  • jastrino1235
    @UncleMac
    For the few days I have been using it, it hasn’t been “remarkable”, but it gives me more information and without the ads. I have used the free version for quite awhile but made the jump to pay so I would have more accountability. I am looking forward to more plans accessible. And the first month is free so I could cancel in early July. Thanks for connecting
  • mtaratoot
    @UncleMac

I am on a trial of Premium. All the glitches are still there, but the advertisements are not. Also, there are just a couple tools I'm using. There's more available, but it doesn't have a WHOLE lot that I am likely to use. If they fix the glitches and bugs, I might consider paying for it even just for ad-free and the two things I do use. I might even start using some of the other features that aren't worth learning since my trial is very temporary.

If you get a chance to do a one-month or three-month trial, you should check it out yourself.
  • UncleMac
    @jastrino1235 and @mtaratoot, thank you both. I usually use the Desktop version, rather than the phone version... so my ad blocker generally deals with the ads effectively. I'm in "maintenance" mode so I'm not sure how much I will gain by going Premium... just very curious.
  • UncleMac
    @jastrino1235 and @mtaratoot, thanks for that. I'm in maintenance so unlikely to bother with Premium but I'm always curious.
  • mtaratoot
    I've been in (and out) of maintenance for a couple years. There's still a tiny bit of benefit for me, and there are for sure other tools I'd use if I was more of a fitness maven. Maybe some day I'll pay for it. First I have to get an idea what cash flow is really going to look like in retirement.