For the love of Produce...

Replies

• o0Firekeeper0o
    o0Firekeeper0o Posts: 416 Member
    7ldgqn3xv8ap.jpeg

Watermelon radish <3
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,551 Member
    Julienned granny smith appe plus spiralized carrot is my go-to substitute for green papaya in Som Tam.plaeouapltuh.jpeg
  • acpgee
    One of my favourite salads which is also oil free. Watermelon, feta, mint and a drizzle of pomegranate molasses or balsamic.
    th0zjflb6dd6.jpeg
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 12,930 Member
    @acpgee

If you can put a little of that balsamic on the watermelon, leave it for a while, and then briefly grill it -- OH MY is it delicious. Then toss with the feta and mint and whatever else. Grilled watermelon salad. Such a summer luxury.

• Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    edited February 2022
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    I found a fun new snack. I knew someone else had to have made it before, so I looked it up. Mine was different, and pretty tasty.

I take one or two small Honeycrisp apples, slice them thin, then pan fry them in just a little grapeseed oil until they get crispy on the outside. Flip over and cook the other side.

The heat seems to make them sweeter, and they retain some of their crispness. I don't cook them so long they get mushy. Medium-high heat to get the outer part crisp. Yesterday I sprinkled a little cinnamon on them because -- why not.
    acpgee wrote: »
    One of my favourite salads which is also oil free. Watermelon, feta, mint and a drizzle of pomegranate molasses or balsamic.
    th0zjflb6dd6.jpeg

@mtaratoot @acpgee

I seriously must try this. 😮

Ps - all aboard the balsamic wagon.. I just saw a balsamic with a hint of dark cocoa blended in… 💡

I know what’s going on my grocery list! 😋
  • mtaratoot
    @purplefizzy

What's in the local markets in February over in the middle of the Pacific? Rambutan? Probably. Bananas? Certainly! Pineapple? I don't even need to ask. Papaya? Maybe. Guava.... too soon I think. But please make us all jealous if you don't mind.
  • acpgee
    @mtaratoot
    Grilling the watermelon after drizzling with pomegranate molasses (poor man's balsamic) did add a subtle caramelization. A lot of liquid did come out of the warmelon after grilling. Added some cherry tomatoes this time. Next time I need to chill the watermelon after grilling.
    j629n63xzact.jpeg

• o0Firekeeper0o
    o0Firekeeper0o Posts: 416 Member
    @VegjoyP that bottom salad looks especially delicious; what’s in it?
  • mtaratoot
    A friend left somOe vegetables from her CSA yesterday. I was trying to decide what to make. I decided on soup. I couldn't find the rutabagas she left. Turns out that since I had left them out of the refrigerator (veggie drawers were full) she put 'em back in her bag and took 'em home. Oh well. That's fine. I just changed course a little bit. Big batch of vegetable soup with:
    • LOTS of onions
    • One leek
    • A few old beets
    • Carrots
    • Celery
    • Two big heads of garlic from the garden
    • Streaker barley
    • Half a cabbage
    • A serrano
    • Some "Better than Bullion"
    • Salt, oregano, a few leaves from an Oregon Bay Laural (substitute for bay leaves), and a few other tasty herbs and spices.
    • Dulse
    • I decided NOT to add potatoes or cauliflower. I'll roast the cauliflower separately.

I may or may not add tomato paste or crushed tomatoes.

I am also cooking a big batch of garbanzo beans. I'll add some when they're done. The soup will be good today and better tomorrow. I reckon I will freeze a bunch because it's a big batch. Some will also go back to my friend who has too many veggies in her CSA. I bet she brings the rutabagas back and I can cook them somehow. I was really looking forward to putting them in the soup. Oh well....

adhwv3pf8har.png
  • mtaratoot
    My friend also gave me some red onions. Apparently she doesn't eat them. So I made quick pickle, and I bet it will be a great garnish for yonder soup.
  • acpgee
    I forgot the pimientos padron , fried artichoke hearts and bean and sausage stew.uyfbdmx8ysn2.jpeg
    bmvm2jigpvwf.jpeg
    s3og0fm9ovl2.jpeg
  • acpgee
    Do potatoes count as produce? They have an interesting way of cooking them here. In a scant amount of heavily salted water (traditionally Atlantic seawater), skin on, until dry and encrusted with salt. They leave the proteins unseasoned which are meant to be eaten with a nibble of the salty potatoes. Potatoes served with ubiquitous green and/or red mojo sauces.
    b2bchoccc6ex.jpeg

• mtaratoot
    @AnnPT77

That dish sounds delicious. I might use a real grain instead of riced cauliflower, and I would for sure use garlic instead of elephant garlic. I am not a fan of elephant "garlic." I put two whole globes of garlic in that soup yesterday, but then again it was almost six quarts of delicious thick soup.

acpgee wrote: »
    Do potatoes count as produce? They have an interesting way of cooking them here. In a scant amount of heavily salted water (traditionally Atlantic seawater), skin on, until dry and encrusted with salt.

Potatoes for sure. And what do they call those potatoes? I want to make them.