Non-whey Protein Powder Suggestions

I’ve tried a few different whey based protein powders(Cellucor, Optimum Nutrition) and they just don’t seem to agree with me. Was thinking of trying a plant based protein powder and see if it worked out better. Any suggestions on a fav?

Replies

• dontlikepeople
    dontlikepeople Posts: 132 Member
    Huel makes a protein powder you could try, it's a mix of pea and rice protein.

What is it about the whey that disagrees with you? There are beef and egg powders but they are crazy expensive. Pea and brown rice protein can be pretty tough to digest if you're not used to it.
  • mikedee_nyc
    mikedee_nyc Posts: 198 Member
    Thanks @dontlikepeople . The taste doesn’t bother me it just seems sometimes after drinking it my stomach gets a little queasy.
  • dontlikepeople
    dontlikepeople Posts: 132 Member
    Thanks @dontlikepeople . The taste doesn’t bother me it just seems sometimes after drinking it my stomach gets a little queasy.

Most protein powders are blends or concentrates, if you think you may be lactose intolerant, you for a whey isolate. A whey isolate should not have any lactose in it.

Otherwise go ahead and give one of the vegan blends a try. I prefer the ones that are a blend of pea and brown rice protein, and typically stay away from soy, that's more of a personal opinion thing.

You can also try eating a little something with your shake to "soften the blow" so to speak.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    I’d would consider trying a high quality isolate
    If standard whey is not agreeing with u
  • mikedee_nyc
    Thanks all. Definitely not a lactose issue as milk is fine. Last night I made a protein shake with a banana and pb added and it seemed to be ok. Maybe I just need to mix it with other things. Just the powder and milk seems to be where it doesn’t work out.
  • zekikat
    zekikat Posts: 18 Member
    edited January 2022
    I like Now Sports Sprouted Brown Rice Protein, available on Amazon. It is very finely ground, with no sweetener or flavour, so I can easily add it to lots of different kinds of things. Sometimes I even whisk a little into soup if I need a bit more protein.
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    I’ve been using garden of life collagen peptides.. 18 grams of protein per scoop. Bovine sourced. I use the unflavored to add some protein to my morning greens juice.. but they have all sorts of flavors and mix ins.
  • dreamer182
    dreamer182 Posts: 43 Member
    edited January 2022
    I LOVE pescience vegan powder, the vanilla is my favorite - http://pescience.com/discount/scripts

w9fv4s3m7gc3.png
  • mikedee_nyc
    Thanks all for the recommendations
  • kenziestabes
    kenziestabes Posts: 338 Member
    I like Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides. They have unflavored for bovine, fish, or plant based, and they also have flavored ones (including coffee creamers!).
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,693 Member
    I use Sunwarrior plantnprotein and LOVE IT! I also love Natures Plus Ketoslim. I am not keto but love the taste. I work at Vitamin Shoppe and have been using protein for years. Switching to plant based has given me the best results 100%.
    I see a lot of people every single day.It is very common we hear this from customers. I also see trends and results from many walks of life. Most plant protein consumers report great results.
    Vega, Garden of Life and NOW brand Aldo have good protein options
  • ColoradoBringItOn
    ColoradoBringItOn Posts: 132 Member
    I can't do whey at all so I have been drinking PaleoPro Ancient Cacao powder for years. It's grass fed beef collagen based and it's delicious. 26 protein per scoop.