Cardio & Weights, Calorie Surplus?

Hi All, hoping you can help me out.
I'm doing a combination of strength training and cardio. I'm doing this in a pattern, cardio day 1, strength day 2, rest day 3 and repeat.
I understand that to build muscle, I should be on a higher protein diet, and I should have a small calories surplus of 100-200 calories to provide the building blocks to increase muscle mass.

My question is, should this surplus be throughout, or should i be calories neutral/maintenance, or calories deficit on the cardio and rest days?

I was aiming for calories surplus on strength day, neutral on cardio day, and deficit on rest day.

Any tips gratefully received.

Thanks

Replies

• thatch1234
    thatch1234 Posts: 276 Member
    Pretty sure when building muscle you want to be at a surplus every day as most of the muscle building time is done on the recovery days when your body is needed additional protein to repair the muscle.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    True to build muscle you need a calories surplus. However, if you have significant bodyfat, the stored calories can provide the calories you need.

Good luck.
  • streetdragster
    streetdragster Posts: 4 Member
    Thanks both. I'm at 25% body fat so should be plenty, but it has been coming off my muscle mass rather than body fat up until now so a change of tact is required with the inclusion of strength training which i wasn't doing before.