What Was Your Work Out Today?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    11,097 pseudo-meters stationary bike, super easy pace, all Z2 and below, peak bpm 122, which is just 55% reserve, about 67% max. 🙄

46' dumbbell supersets.
  • dralicephd
    dralicephd Posts: 401 Member
    Slow elliptical - 45 min., most of that at Zone 2.
    Then my mini-strength training. This time I tried doing my pushups and rows as super sets. We'll see how that feels. I was also able to do all pushup sets at a lower level (with less reps). Progress!
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited February 2022
    One slower hour on the rower at 125 DF (drag factor) unstrapped. HR all under 127 or so (66/67% of max or less).
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Warmer temps today, into the high 30's after work, so I was able to get out for a run. Even started in some daylight. Went 3.5 slow easy miles.

Gym session tomorrow am, then a tri club ride on Zwift at night. Focusing on weight loss in Feb and March, so I'm fairly close to a good racing weight when I start ramping up volume.
  • AnnPT77
    Major snowstorm outside today - maybe 10 inches or so since shortly before daybreak, to late evening?

Hunkered down in here, machine rowing, 6793m, very easy, low Z3 & below at 2:39.2 pace/18spm, peak HR at 131bpm (around 62% reserve, 73% max).

Followed up with 22' core exercises.
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 972 Member
    edited February 2022
    I am seeing my mum this weekend, so I'm avoiding climbing gyms until then as a minor precaution. I've taken to doing a pre-breakfast walk (or run if I do it alone), so I've average 20,000 steps so far this week.

I lifted in my shed last night, doing:
    Bench, 3 sets of 7, 55kgs.
    Deadlift, 2 sets of 5, 120 kgs. (I'm 65 kgs, so this is not a bad effort for an old man.)
    Hangboarding, 15 seconds on a 12mm rung. This is strong by standards, so my finger strength seems good.
  • Djproulx
    Plenty of core work and a few power focused movements today. Did quarter mile treadmill intervals between rounds of weight circuits. Looking forward to our tri club group ride tonight on Zwift, though I expect some suffering.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Was doing my "usual" today and around 4K in felt a sharp pain in the lower back. Not that big of a deal but I'll take it easy the next few days. My disc injury was in the thoracic area. That feels solid. Much harder to rehab and fix than the lower.

Usually when the lower hurts it's likely due to too much DF (most call resistance) on the rower coupled with my right knee being garbage. It's around 1/2 inch shorter than my left leg due to all the bone gradually eroding. I needed a knee replacement 15 years ago but have been putting it off as long as possible.

I go to the chiropractor tonight. We'll see if they can work it out. Usually I'm good in two or three visits (at least for the lower back).

Did manage to get nearly an hour in still. Did around 3K more on the rower (although at lower DF) and then did around 10 more minutes on the elliptical inside. It was cold for Tucson today (28 degrees for the low), so perhaps the cold had something to do with it as well. Hard to get warmed up when it's colder.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member
    Been testing my new sports watch for the past few days. Well, actually, I thought it was a bit iffy and ordered a second one. And now I'm testing both simultaneously. Basically running with two watches at the same time :D
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Did 330 minutes on the Elliptical today for 23.1 miles, this was in an AM(3.5 hours) & a PM(2 hours) session, not straight through.
  • AnnPT77
    11,180m stationary bike, still doing the easy pace thing, only 1:47 Z3, mostly Z2 (peak 128bpm, about 60% reserve, 71% max).

43' dumbbell supersets, progressing with tedious caution, still pretty much conditioning level intensity, to work through imbalances and joint issues gradually. I do perceive a little functional improvement; hope I'm not deceiving myself. 😐
  • dralicephd
    dralicephd Posts: 401 Member
    edited February 2022
    I tried this new fad called Jogging, apparently you just run for an extended period of time.

Wait... you mean you keep going even if there isn't a bear chasing you? That's crazy! :smiley:

Today was my standard cardio day of 45 min. elliptical. I was feeling like moving faster today, so I did (the last 20 min. were in HR Zone 3; the rest in Zone 2). Finished up with some abs.

Have a great weekend everyone!
  • Djproulx
    Was doing my "usual" today and around 4K in felt a sharp pain in the lower back. Not that big of a deal but I'll take it easy the next few days. My disc injury was in the thoracic area. That feels solid. Much harder to rehab and fix than the lower.

Usually when the lower hurts it's likely due to too much DF (most call resistance) on the rower coupled with my right knee being garbage. It's around 1/2 inch shorter than my left leg due to all the bone gradually eroding. I needed a knee replacement 15 years ago but have been putting it off as long as possible.

I go to the chiropractor tonight. We'll see if they can work it out. Usually I'm good in two or three visits (at least for the lower back).

Did manage to get nearly an hour in still. Did around 3K more on the rower (although at lower DF) and then did around 10 more minutes on the elliptical inside. It was cold for Tucson today (28 degrees for the low), so perhaps the cold had something to do with it as well. Hard to get warmed up when it's colder.

Hope the chiro visits bring you relief. The "medical overhead" associated with being as active as we are seems to be a constant that comes with the territory. Whether its yoga, massage, PT, or chiropractic care, it seems as if there is health maintenance work that just can't be neglected if we want to prevent injuries, or at least keep them keep in check. Of course, this is still way better than the negative outcomes associated with being sedentary, so I'm not complaining.

• Djproulx
    After yesterday's strength work and a fairly aggressive group ride on Zwift, I was fatigued. With that said, I'm starting to get into a fairly solid training mindset, so I joined a small group ride with one of our tri club coaches. The ride was held via Zoom. I didn't have much pop in my legs, but it was fun to grind it out with a bunch of friends. I only produced a mediocre power output on the climbs, but I went hard during the half dozen sprints at the end. I'm wiped out now.:)

Gym day tomorrow will focus on mobility, some balance and core work and then a treadmill run.

My focus will continue to be on getting leaner this winter. I'm down 7lbs since Jan 3rd, shooting for another 10-12lbs gone by early April. That will put me at a good racing weight before I start the 8-10 weeks of high volume cardio effort leading up to race day.
  • AnnPT77
    Another pretty easy pace machine row, 6809m, 5' in Z3, most of the rest Z2, peak at 134bpm, just under 65% reserve, 75% max. (2:41.3 pace/18spm) Subjectively, it seems biomechanically difficult for me to keep the pace this slow but maintain good technique . . . not in a "useful technical challenge" way, either. And it's boring (not energizing, zero exhilaration). Tried it, don't much like it. 🤷‍♀️ Doesn't accumulate fatigue that I can perceive, though. I guess that's good.

Followed with 22' core exercises. (Maybe it's just me, but McGill curl-ups are one of those things that make me sweat while almost close to moving hardly at all.)
  • makinlifehappen
    makinlifehappen Posts: 110 Member
    Arms

Rope extensions
    2 sets 100 reps each

Incline DB skull crushers ss with DB french press
    3 sets 30 reps each

Rope french press ss with overhead rope extension
    3 sets 15 reps each

Straight bar machine
    2 sets 100 reps each

Reverse preacher curls SS with drag curls
    3 sets 30 reps each

EZ bar reverse curls SS with ez bar regular curls
    3 sets failure each set.
  • Djproulx
    Decided to run at the gym this morning, rather than heading out for another run in the cold. Did some rolling and hip mobility work, then an easy paced 5k. Back on the bike for a longer ride tomorrow.
  • AnnPT77
    Djproulx wrote: »
    Decided to run at the gym this morning, rather than heading out for another run in the cold. Did some rolling and hip mobility work, then an easy paced 5k. Back on the bike for a longer ride tomorrow.

I'm hesitant to ask, but are there any unusual hip mobility exercises you've found helpful, @Djproulx , that you could tell me the name of or give a link to, and not have that be too much trouble?

I pretty much know and do various common piriformis, low back, and hip flexor stretches, side leg raises, pelvic clocks (not the device, the Pilates-ish thing), have good hammie flexibility so don't emphasize that. I've added a variation on the doorway banana stretch because of some lateral tightness (hold door frame with hands, feet a bit away, and relax the hip away from the door in a banana shape to stretch outer hip).

I really like one a physical therapist gave me, that I don't have a name or reference for, a little hard to describe. It involves a very soft (on partly inflated) roughly 8" diameter ball (Softgym brand). That goes on the front part of a straight chair, where one sits on it nice and upright, then shifts weight in 3 planes (relaxed movement using gravity, not powered with muscles). First is shifting weight alternating left and right sides, staying straight, allowing the "down" side to lengthen (pelvis is sort of rotating in a plane that cuts right to left through the body). Next is forward and back weight shift, also relaxed and mostly straight, but letting the pelvis rotate in a anterior/posterior way. Last is a little more powered, sitting centered, turning to aim belly button at one leg then the other, rotating the pelvis in the 3rd plane.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member
    Just a fairly short walk in a forest nearby while the sun was out briefly. It's been storming all evening, thus I decided to stay in and watch Star Trek. Perfect exercise!