an issue i know i have

Simii180
Simii180 Posts: 5 Member
edited February 2022 in Health and Weight Loss
One of the issues I have that makes losing weight harder is I have no energy. No energy to be sure I make a lunch to take to work...or even a snack. No energy to cook a healthy meal for my self ( My husband is a truck driver so he is not home to eat and my kids still at home are 16 through 19 years old. Old enough to cook for themselves) I am never prepared so i usually end up not eating or grabbing fast food. And neither is going to help me lose weight.

Replies

• boilerdawg2009
    boilerdawg2009 Posts: 979 Member
    What are your sleep and hydration patterns like?
  • Bentforkx
    Bentforkx Posts: 69 Member
    Did you have this lack of energy before you started your life style change?
    I found that as my reduced caloric intake started knocking off some pounds, my body started to adapt to the remaining calories and it started to conserve energy, making me less energetic....
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,470 Member
    dralicephd wrote: »
    @Simii180 unless there is something medically wrong (like thyroid levels, etc.), this sounds like depression.

That's kinda what I was thinking too. OP, have you considered speaking with a doctor to rule out the possibility of a physical issue and maybe address the mental health side if needed?

• CoastalVibes
    CoastalVibes Posts: 4 Member
    edited February 2022
    Not sure what your work situation is like but when I worked, I would make sure there was snacks in my desk drawer, canned soup, tuna packs, crackers. We also had a refrigerator/freezer, and we would put some frozen meals in there, veggies. I did not take cash and I avoided the vending and fast food.
    I wanted fast food but learned to say no to myself. If I did stop, I would try to get the healthiest.
    You are going to have those kinds of days of needing to eat there but they will start to fall further apart and much less often. Many times, I would take an apple and peanut butter or almond butter. I would leave that apple right where I could see it.

Dinner time, you have to put yourself first. Do you like to cook? I find if I am making old favorites, and I love to try new recipes. Fix some soups, make a new dish that is simple but tasty. You might be surprised as your children might really love some home cooked meals. Baked chicken is easy, hamburgers, salads. Fish is super simple if you like it.
    Breakfast is super important. I used to make a smoothie and head out the door. I would take yogurt, overnight oats. We were allowed to eat in our office.
    Most the time when I was thinking ahead, I would do the planning and put in fridge overnight in my lunch bag.

I recently found out my B12 is low and anemic. Started on shots and I take my vitamins. I am making sure or trying my best to include leafy greens in my diet to help boost my iron levels naturally.
    Your doctor can run your blood levels and this is a good start.
    Welcome to your new world. You will find your way.
    Water is super important. If you are a soda drinker...try to stop.
  • mirianyusm
    mirianyusm Posts: 89 Member
    I agree with @dralicephd. It sounds like depression to me. I would only add to talk to your primary physician. He/She will know how to help. Don't wait.
  • Kaitensatsuma
    Kaitensatsuma Posts: 11 Member
    Sometimes, I've found that taking just one day in the week, like a Saturday or Sunday, to make a large batch of something helps out with motivation.

Make a container of salad, a large quiche and a pot of soup and it gets me through 50% of the meals in a given week.

The wintery weather isn't helping anything either, I've never been a particularly active person but going for a walk, jog or out on my bike just makes me feel better, less hungry and more energized, and it really sucks to not be able to do that between the weather and lack of daylight.
  • plumwd
    plumwd Posts: 161 Member
    Make sure you're eating ENOUGH. If you're eating very little and working out, you likely don't have enough fuel.
  • There are some nice threads for the debilitated. Some dehydrate fruits in large batches, some use frozen veggies so that you can pop that in a microwave, and you can add frozen chicken that isn't high in calories. I was bedridden for months over the years, and I am not the only one. It is slow, it can be done. It takes some creativity. If you can go out to eat, you can cook. It will have to be simple. I remember doing weeks of low cal hot dogs and hot dog buns. Way less calories than going to fast food. And you still feel the same. Low cal tuna fish sandwiches. There is bibigo dumplings that are chicken and veg for 250 calories. I also at different times used the HEB dinner deli thing. I always got a tray with around 300 calories.
  • IheartPGH
    IheartPGH Posts: 39 Member
    Sometimes you just have to wake up and change your mindset. Don't make excuses and do the work.
  • willboywonder
    willboywonder Posts: 132 Member
    Have you had your thyroid checked lately? There could be improper thyroid functioning causing your weakened feeling. The tiredness could be a indicator of other health matters too, like perhaps anemia, vitamin B12 deficiency, or lots of other things, some of which are major things, other are minor things. I urge you to discuss it with your doctor.
  • felicia9501
    felicia9501 Posts: 1 Member
    One thing I can say is a lot of our food choices can make a huge difference in our energy level. Fast food is the worst they can make you feel tired and drained Take time for you. Preparation is the key!
  • poisonesse
    poisonesse Posts: 526 Member
    Along with all of these great ideas, I can add a strange one. Invest is a few kitchen appliances that make food prep easier and faster. A slow cooker/instant pot, that cooks your food slowly over the day, or makes it in minutes to the hour that you'd spend cooking it normally. Maybe an air fryer, that's my go to right now, originally purchased to make good home cooked french fries, and now used for cooking chicken, pork chops, fish fillets, and last night? 2 chicken legs and 3 perogies, the entire meal cooked in 20 minutes with only about 3-5 minutes prep time. But like many others, I would stress getting your blood checked by your GP, that should honestly be the first step. Best wishes!
  • Simii180
    Bentforkx wrote: »
    I found that as my reduced caloric intake started knocking off some pounds, my body started to adapt to the remaining calories and it started to conserve energy, making me less energetic....

yes, i have been like this for a while now. at one point i believed it was because i was anemic but I ended up having to get a few blood transfusions and ferritin infusions every week for a few months and i don't feel any different.
  • Simii180
    dralicephd wrote: »
    @Simii180 unless there is something medically wrong (like thyroid levels, etc.), this sounds like depression. You are here, so you obviously want to change. Perhaps just try changing one small thing and stick to that for one month (like a quick snack to take to work). When you've managed that well, add another small thing. Baby steps in the right direction are still steps.

Be patient with yourself.

yes, I do have a history of depression but even when on meds I don't feel/see a change in energy lvls.
  • Simii180
    Bentforkx wrote: »

yes this has been way before any changes i have made