Losing hope instead of weight :(

Replies

• ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    sbelletti wrote: »
    How are you determining exercise calories burned and are you eating those calories back? I see this in your diary:

Walking, brisk pace for 30 minutes: 362 calories burned.

Where are you getting that calorie count as it seems very, very high. If you're eating all of those back and you're logging this several times a week with an inaccurate number, that could also account for the scale not moving. I would expect a 30 minute walk to be around 100-200 calories, and I would only give myself a portion of that to eat back. So if you're eating an additional 362 calories vs around 50 calories, that could make a huge difference over the course of a month.

In addition, I can easily walk briskly for 30 minutes as part of my daily activity. Is this an activity that you are logging completely separately from the exercise already included in your daily calorie calculation?

A decent source for walking calorie estimates is here:

https://exrx.net/Calculators/WalkRunMETs

Be sure to select "Net" in the "Energy" box.

You need to know the speed, and amount of time, plus personal characteristics. There are other boxes there (like Grade), and might fine-tune the estimate if you know them, but they're optional.

Thank you for that!! My treadmill always tells me I've expended 250+ calories while walking 30 minutes at 3.5 mph but I know that's not so. It doesn't take into account my weight, etc. This chart helps immensely!!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Another thought I had, and forgive me if you mention it somewhere in this thread... How much are you trying to lose/what are your current stats (age/height/current weight)?

The reason I ask (just in case you don't see the reason for my question), is because when you have a lot of weight to lose, it is easier to get the scale to move. you have a larger margin of error in your deficit. You can make more mistakes and still lose weight. For a long time, in many cases. But when you have LESS to lose, say.... under 20 pounds, and the less you have, the harder it is, the less room for error you have.

So, if you only have 5-10 pounds of what we will call 'vanity weight' (though for that person it may not be 'vanity weight'), it is absolutely CRITICAL to be spot on accurate with your logging. And it sucks. Not gonna lie. Especially if you are new to it, and aren't used to doing it properly (which is why I advocate so hard for people to do it correctly from day one!).

For this reason, it takes longer to lose the weight. At least if you do it in a manner that isn't going to make you miserable and possibly make you give up or just gain it back if you DO lose it. Losing it at a slower rate (which means you will eat a bit more), is a better plan rather than setting your goals for the fastest rate possible (which would be the 2 pounds per week MFP caps out at). Depending on how much you have to lose, setting your rate of loss to a quarter to a half pound per week will give you more to eat (which means you are less likely to binge or lie to yourself about what you are eating). If you set it at a quarter pound per week, you may also find you can fit in an evening with friends and - dont CHEAT- but be REASONABLE- in your choices and STILL maintain a deficit for the week, although the scale may still tip up temporarily due to increased sodium. I eat out fairly often (maybe once a week on average, though I rarely drink anymore) and still lose weight when I want to and focus on it. And I am going to guess, roughly twice your age (I'm 44) and statistically probably shorter than you (5'1), so even in maintenance... I just dont get that many calories to begin with LMAO.
  • ciaoder
    ciaoder Posts: 119 Member

No one on this app ever listens to me 😡😡 I have said repeatedly I weight Everything yet majority of comments are telling me to weight everything and I have said I log everything I eat on normal days yet people are telling me my logins are inaccurate 😡😡😡😡😡😡. I’m a student which means I can wake up at 7am and only get home at 9pm at night therefore there are days where I will only have a hot chocolate all day or only eat 800 calories a day because I don’t have time to eat anything ...

I have just a couple of observations/questions.

Chloe, What's your family look like genetically? Everyone on my mom's side has weight problems and most end up with diabetes. Genetically some of us just are unlucky. What I've found is that my body very much wants to shut down my metabolism when I'm in a significant caloric deficit. I have to work the other side of the equation and jack up "energy out" to have any success.

Have you consulted your doctor yet? Blood work might help get you some answers, maybe revealing something going on with hormones or metabolism.

I know that students are too busy to eat on any sort of normal schedule, but it makes it that much more important to make sure the quality of your food is as good as it can be.

I track my weight as a 5 day average to weed out some of the outlying numbers from excess salt/water weight and dehydration. It helps make sense of where I'm really at.

Everyone here is on your side and hoping for your success. I'm sorry that you're so discouraged. As others have said, there's a lot of knowledge to be found here, not all of it easy to hear and much of it just isn't universally applicable. Sort through what you will, take what is useful, but don't lose hope.

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Walking, brisk pace for 30 minutes: 362 calories burned.

Where are you getting that calorie count as it seems very, very high.

That seems a very unrealistic calorie burn to me.

Now admittedly I havent used spread sheets, calculators and the like (an not as nerdy as some MFP=ers ;) ) - but from my expereince as an average sized woman, about 100 calories per half hour would be about right.

100 may not be exactly right for you - but is going to be far closer to correct than 362.

I agree. I walk a lot. I'm 5'11' and weigh around 178. My burn for an hour of leisurely walking is 150. For 30 min I give myself 75 calories. If I'm walking briskly or jogging part of the time, I give myself more.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    I agree with the others who suggested that calorie burn for a 30 min walk is very inflated and likely inaccurate.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,281 Member
    Isn't it so helpful when you'r blamed for your misery?
    I say...Keep with it.. don't get discouraged. Just keep changing your strategy. If what you are doing now isn't working.. then analyze and rethink your plan. But, don't be down..and don't get discouraged.
    I've tired and stopped a few strategies in my time .. then I found what worked for me. I did low carb, intermittent fasting and strict calorie counting.. and none of those worked for me. But they sure work for a lot of people on here. Eating rules work for me... and that is how I lose. You can do this. it is hard for all of us.
  • GravesLord
    GravesLord Posts: 1 Member
    edited February 2022
    I used to weigh 98kg and now I'm 68kg in a span of 8 months. The thing you need to do is to listen to your body.. eat when hungry and stop when almost full. Never eat to your full

And the major thing : Eat multiple times and eat less..

I used to eat 2 times a day my entire life and that resulted in me overeating a whole lot amount of food then I should.

I stopped using sugar too, as well as any snacks, candies or sweet stuff. I take lots of fruits, vegs, lean proteins. I also use oils (both saturated and non-saturated ones) but in very less amounts. I also try to consume less carbs where possible.

And remember to not starve please, it will make your body to store more fat instead of burning it.. so eat multiple times and eat less and your body will slowly but surely burn all extra fat reserves in your body. You will probably reach a dead end where it doesn't seem to lower weight further because most of the fat reserve in your body is empty. It may take years from there for your body to burn the remaining stubborn fat residues under your skin. But remember that it will do eventually if you stick to a long term diet and listen to your body. [Hint : Don't try keto or any special diet which is unrealistic to maintain for whole life and won't work in long term and don't cheat even for a day in a year lol]

In the end, know that you're doing all this for your own health and not due to people's opinion about you that how you should look or how you shouldn't look. When I was chubby people used to say I'm so damn fat and I should eat less, and when I'm lean they say I'm so weak why don't I eat ...

So just remember you eat for yourself and your body. Remember that weight loss only works when you stick with an easy and realistic diet plan for your whole life. Stay strong !
  • CrunchyDad
    CrunchyDad Posts: 66 Member
    edited February 2022
    Just scrolled through here quickly and I am concerned that I didn't see anyone mention this, but you need to calculate your TDEE (there are free calculators online) and maintain a modest deficit 300-500 calories per day below that. Too high of a deficit will not be sustainable nor healthy. You want to lose fat, not muscle and bone mass. Make sure to get enough protein, 30% of your calories should come from that. Another 30% from fats. You can adjust these macro goals in the MFP app. This will help keep you full longer and make your goals more achievable.

DO NOT give yourself extra calories from exercise, these estimates are never accurate. Be consistent and consume 300-500 calories less than your TDEE, you will lose weight. DO NOT rely on the MFP calorie goal calculator, it is not accurate.

Make sure to exercise a few times a week, go for a walk every day, lift some weights if you can. This will ensure you retain muscle while burning fat. The scale may not move but you will lose inches, look better, feel better, be healthier. Do not watch the scale every day, it's normal to fluctuate. Fat loss takes time. Be consistent and be patient.
  • Slowfaster
    Slowfaster Posts: 185 Member
    I'm going to suggest something that worked for me and then run away before the bombs land. Try adding in a few tablespoons olive oil everyday.

About a year ago I started eating 800 calories a day and after two weeks had lost nothing. This time I decided to try again following the Mediterranean diet recommended by my doctor. I'm also logging because I actually enjoy the weigh and measure part. So I've been averaging about 1200 per day and lost 13 pounds by the end of January (I only weigh once a month.) The oil helps break down body fat for fuel.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=jnDxiD5aD2Y&list=WL&index=3
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,572 Member
    Slowfaster wrote: »
    I'm going to suggest something that worked for me and then run away before the bombs land. Try adding in a few tablespoons olive oil everyday.

About a year ago I started eating 800 calories a day and after two weeks had lost nothing. This time I decided to try again following the Mediterranean diet recommended by my doctor. I'm also logging because I actually enjoy the weigh and measure part. So I've been averaging about 1200 per day and lost 13 pounds by the end of January (I only weigh once a month.) The oil helps break down body fat for fuel.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=jnDxiD5aD2Y&list=WL&index=3

But don't forget to log the olive oil. :p

@callsitlikeiseeit I hate your husband. :) But like you cuz you're actually shorter than me and that's rare! (I'm 5'2")