How I overcame Binge Eating: Ride the Craving Wave

2»

Replies

• WailingDusk
    WailingDusk Posts: 58 Member
    I also suffered from binge eating disorder as well. Just like any other addiction, it takes so much more than willpower to overcome. When you mentioned eating thousands of calories in one sitting and feeling sick afterward, I felt that. I used to go to McDonalds and order like 6 mcdoubles and 3 large fries and still be hungry after eating it.

I was not in a good place. Glad you were able to overcome it. The first 3 months were the hardest for me.
  • cherylscott4
    cherylscott4 Posts: 23 Member
    My son is overweight I don't know how to help him. Or if I can help him.
  • peiotter
    peiotter Posts: 35 Member
    Loved your image of riding the wave and all the suggestions of riding it out. I am/was a nighttime snacker until I learned that every time you eat, you stimulate an increase in insulin which is a fat storer. Well that has just about cured me! Thank you for your post.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,031 Member
    peiotter wrote: »
    Loved your image of riding the wave and all the suggestions of riding it out. I am/was a nighttime snacker until I learned that every time you eat, you stimulate an increase in insulin which is a fat storer. Well that has just about cured me! Thank you for your post.

That's an oversimplified view of insulin functioning. Eating the same total over a day ends up at about the same net fat storage (or burn, depending on calorie balance) regardless of eating timing/frequency, because frequency and magnitude of insulin release is modulated accordingly.
  • I have completely noticed that if I get pulled away from the pantry by a kid or my husband to tend to their needs, I don’t have cravings anymore once I help them. But this rarely happens. Just so happened tonight though, the same night I read this post about riding the waves! I am definitely going to remember this. And I will try the visualization. I am the same way at night, when there is like two hours left before putting the kids to bed. There is so much high calorie foods in the house for them. Croissants, melt away cookies… these things are SO LOADED with calories. It’s so hard not to grab them and munch. And not only am I not hungry, but I can barely even taste the stuff! And still eat it!
  • Sparkuvu
    Sparkuvu Posts: 2,529 Member
    edited October 2022
    Hey guys I'm glad you all liked this post! I agree that the strategy is GOLD, that's why I shared it. I hope it helps some of you out! Just always remember it's a process that requires patience, patience, patience. We've got this!

Can you give further insite from the workshop as to how to determine what your eating is about? I've read this so often, to determine why you are eating, but struggle to know the reasons why (other than that it's usually not true hunger, and feeling it as a craving, those two come through loud and clear!) or how to figure out reasons why.
  • swim777
    swim777 Posts: 599 Member
    Great information!!! Thank you for sharing!
  • Neverlearned
    Neverlearned Posts: 3 Member
    thank you! I needed this post I have struggled with the nightly binge my whole life. I am going to try and ride out the wave
  • Mybigwhy
    Mybigwhy Posts: 1 Member
    Thx for reminding me. I heard this tip via Noom. I like your post even more as it included the visual. One more suggestion ~reread this post during a craving! Thank you very much!
  • diane1223
    diane1223 Posts: 43 Member
    Binge eating at night has been a problem for me! Thanks for these tips.