Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Goal, ambition and insanity!

“If you give yourself 30 days to clean your home, it will take 30 days; but if you give yourself 3 hours, it will take 3 hours. The same applies to your goals, ambitions and potential!” - Elon Musk

Bull💩 or truth?

Replies

• boilerdawg2009
    boilerdawg2009 Posts: 979 Member
    I mean I was given weeks to do a paper in college and yet I always seemed to wait till the night before to hash it out. Probably the opposite of the intent here lol. I think it's truth though!
  • theonlyclevergirl
    theonlyclevergirl Posts: 11 Member
    Lmao! Not here I don’t think. Maybe Mars? Bahahaha
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 12,935 Member
    Elon Musk doesn't clean his house or anyone else's.

But at least he doesn't have to have a historic bridge dismantled because he forgot where he had a boat built and how it would get from the shipyard to the sea.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    edited February 2022
    Elon didn't come up with crap. Just plagiarizing/paraphrasing Parkinson's Law:

Parkinson's Law
    Parkinson's Law is the old adage that work expands to fill the time allotted for its completion. The term was first coined by Cyril Northcote Parkinson in a humorous essay he wrote for “The Economist” in 1955

More info:

https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20191107-the-law-that-explains-why-you-cant-get-anything-done

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    When I'm given longer than a task genuinely takes at work, I spend the extra time making sure it's done well and addressing any quality issues in general.
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »

Parkinson's Law
    Parkinson's Law is the old adage that work expands to fill the time allotted for its completion. The term was first coined by Cyril Northcote Parkinson in a humorous essay he wrote for “The Economist” in 1955

More info:

https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20191107-the-law-that-explains-why-you-cant-get-anything-done

Well, that's consistent with Elon not founding Paypal nor Tesla, but still acting like he did it.

To the extent the adage is any kind of truth, it generally isn't applicable to something like sustained weight loss.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    edited February 2022
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »

Parkinson's Law

More info:

Well, that's consistent with Elon not founding Paypal nor Tesla, but still acting like he did it.

To the extent the adage is any kind of truth, it generally isn't applicable to something like sustained weight loss.

True it doesn't extend to weight loss but is typical for other activities.

Personal example. Our son is getting married. My wife who recently retired took several trips out of town (like a couple hundred miles round trip each) plus ordered 8 dresses on-line trying to find a mother of the groom dress. She said she didn't know how she could have done it if she was working.

The mother of the bride who is a busy business owner, spent about 10 minutes looking on line when we were with her, ordered her dress and was done.

I suggested to my wife that if she was working she would have done what the bride's mom did. Classic case of work (activity) expanding to fit the time allowed for completion.

Or if one's car breaks and not repairable I bet they find a new car a lot sooner that if they have a good car and is shopping around looking for something else because they are tired of what they have.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    shaumom wrote: »
    BS, Parkinson's law and all that.

I mean, I can appreciate reminding ourselves that sometimes, we can do a task quickly if we really need to, but coming from people in power, it not only is BS, but it feels a bit dark for what it implies about how he'll treat his employees.

Because the problem is, you will get far too many idiots in management BELIEVING what the wealthy/successful/powerful say. And it typically leads to them expecting the impossible from their employees and adding stress and hardship in the workplace.

I always remember an acquaintance whose manager actually believed that if you want it done faster, just make the deadline closer. Like you could alter the laws of the universe, as long as you 'really put your back into it.'

But his employees were the IT department. And they would have hard deadlines involving, as an example, how fast can a computer compiles data. One time, it was going to take 48 hours of JUST computer time (not including the employees even doing anything) to finish a project. The manager told them they needed to get it done in 12 hours, told upper management that it WOULD be done in 12 hours, and then when it was literally, physically impossible, he refused to believe that and all the employees got the blame for not working hard/fast enough. :-/

Sounds like a place I used to work. "We need you all to drop everything you're doing and put 120% into this hard pivot to left field because sales made some promises..."
  • HelPur25
    HelPur25 Posts: 23 Member
    BS, like most of what E. M. says. He is a tireless self-promoter.

Long-term consistency is more important to achieve most goals. You can't complete a degree, lose 100 lbs, learn to play a musical instrument, learn a language, become good at a sport, etc. by condensing the number of hours it takes into the shortest time span possible. Some things need to soak in, or you need to ponder concepts, or build muscle memory.

I prefer the adage I once heard that says anyone can become an expert at something if they devote an hour per day, every day, to studying the subject for 7 years.