Any dietitians here that would answer a couple questions?

I am 50 years old and 302 lbs. Been staying below 2000 calories a day and have only lost 12 lbs in a month. I know this a good number but since the app says I can eat 2700 calories and still lose weight I thought that I would be losing faster. Please help!

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,382 Member
    You did notice that the lowest rate of loss you can chose on MFP is 2lbs per week, right? This is mostly considered the maximum healthy rate of loss. Lose too fast and you also lose a lot of muscles. Ok, you have a lot to lose, and you could potentially lose a bit faster, but overall it's probably good you didn't lose more than 12lbs in the end. And it will eventually slow down more as a smaller body needs less energy. Congratulations on your loss though!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,883 Member
    If you started exercise recently you could have some water retention going on from that, which would mask fat loss on the scale.

cs17oe75dcn0.jpg
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,538 Member
    Use weight trend app. 1% body weight loss a week is a good maximum to aim for.

Long term 0.25% to 1% a week is great, and most people find the 0.5% range more sustainable.

Is your deficit much more than 25% of TDEE? Is that a good idea? Are you making long term choices and adjustments?

Start is good!!! Adjust towards sustainability for your 2-5 year race to loss, adjustment to maintenance, and first few years of maintenance as you move along!
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Are you weighing all food in grams and carefully selecting entries from the database, or are you taking a more casual attitude towards calorie counting? There's nothing inherently wrong with a more casual method (especially when you have more weight to lose). However, a less exact calorie counting method usually underestimates calorie intake, which could, possibly, explain why your weight loss is less than you would expect.

Congrats on the 12 pound loss!
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    12 lbs a month is 3 lbs a week which is a massive loss. You need to adjust your expectations. This rate of loss is huge and not sustainable long term.
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    First, I don't know about getting an actual dietitian to respond. I would imagine like many other medical related issues, it would be inappropriate for one to give you a professional analysis over the internet.

What was MFP telling you that you'd lose per week if you ate 2700? The max setting it allows is 2 / week, and if you're losing 1 pound more than that per week (based on 12 pounds in ~4 weeks), you're on average 500 calories per day below that rate (500 calories a day would add 1 pound to the loss). So your weight loss would generally be consistent with eating no more than 2200 calories per day on average.
    How much below 2000 do you think you're consuming when you say below 2000?

It seems 200 calories a day is easy enough to be a factor between accuracy, water weight, and changes in activity. Generally, as people lose weight, their is tendency to become more sendentary and reduce their non-exercise activity thermogenesis (NEAT).

Ultimately, you will have to accept progress slower than even now if you are determined to reach a healthy weight. Losing just 1 pound per week can be hard when you are near a health weight or lean.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,935 Member
    I don't think anyone above mentioned water shifts.

At 300 pounds there could be huge shifts in water weight from day to day and week to week. The first month is usually a big change n habits and there are going to be big changes in weight during that time regardless of how much of it is really fat (not water.)

Also, when there is a lot of weight to lose, it's easy to lose a lot of weight. I agree with Nooshi, watch those expectations.

There is a group here on this site that would be really helpful for you called "Larger Losers" - here's the link (you will need to join if you want to post and ask questions there. There's a "Join" button on the left under the header/title near the top of the page) There are nearly a thousand members and lots of great info:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/133315-larger-losers

• stuarttwiddy
    stuarttwiddy Posts: 5 Member
    yirara wrote: »
    You did notice that the lowest rate of loss you can chose on MFP is 2lbs per week, right? This is mostly considered the maximum healthy rate of loss. Lose too fast and you also lose a lot of muscles. Ok, you have a lot to lose, and you could potentially lose a bit faster, but overall it's probably good you didn't lose more than 12lbs in the end. And it will eventually slow down more as a smaller body needs less energy. Congratulations on your loss though!

Yes...I know everyone says 2lbs a week but I just need to dropa alot of weight quickly or i will lose interest and go back to the old ways. That's why i wanted to drop a bunch at first to get motivated...not kill myself over 2 or 3 lbs a week. Thanks for your reply tho.
  • stuarttwiddy
    Are you weighing all food in grams and carefully selecting entries from the database, or are you taking a more casual attitude towards calorie counting? There's nothing inherently wrong with a more casual method (especially when you have more weight to lose). However, a less exact calorie counting method usually underestimates calorie intake, which could, possibly, explain why your weight loss is less than you would expect.

Congrats on the 12 pound loss!

Def a casual attitude. I KNOW if I get too crazy I'll derail myself.
  • stuarttwiddy
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    12 lbs a month is 3 lbs a week which is a massive loss. You need to adjust your expectations. This rate of loss is huge and not sustainable long term.

I just need a quick weight drop for motivation.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member

And what happens when you lose motivation? It might be better to make this a lot less work and take the weight off slowly and gradually. There are a lot of really, really helpful and wise long-termers here who can help you. Take advantage of their collective knowledge and listen to them. You're trying to reinvent a wheel that tends to go flat...
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,093 Member
    yirara wrote: »

Yes...I know everyone says 2lbs a week but I just need to dropa alot of weight quickly or i will lose interest and go back to the old ways. That's why i wanted to drop a bunch at first to get motivated...not kill myself over 2 or 3 lbs a week. Thanks for your reply tho.

How about simply not 'killing yourself' to lose weight? The easier you make it on yourself, the less motivation you need and the more likely you'll stick with whatever you're doing long-term.

I never 'killed myself' to lose weight. I just lowered my calories to a level I could easily sustain and still be in a calorie deficit, while still eating all of my favorite foods, and gradually increased my activity level (natural evolution when I realised being more active meant more food) by doing exercise I enjoyed.

2.5 years down the road and honestly, it's been ridiculously easy and nearly painless, never once did I think about giving up.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,382 Member

So what about brushing your teeth? Getting dressed? Working? Do you need quick results there or did you make it a habit? Weight loss, or rather a good diet is best treated as a habit, not something that you do quickly and then forget about it as it won't stick.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    So you want to have a "casual attitude " towards calorie counting and not take it too seriously or accurately, yet at the same time you expect a large, quick weight drop?

Honestly, I think your progress so far is good and it's just your expectations that need adjusting. 3lbs a week IS fast, especially for someone being casual about monitoring intake, so I would suggest just keep going.