Multivitamins

What multivitamins should I take?
I suffer from vitamin D deficiency, and my doctor suggested me to take Vitamin D2 and D3 tablets. She advised me to take it effectively as it is of high dose. I have fatigue, muscle ache, and I'm also losing a lot of hair, any other suggestions from anyone other than exposing to sunlight

Replies

• trunkschan90
    trunkschan90 Posts: 24 Member
    edited December 2021
    Food sources with vitamin D
    1. fatty fish, such as salmon, mackerel, and tuna
    2. egg yolks
    3. cheese
    4. beef liver
    5. mushrooms
    6. fortified milk
    7. fortified cereals and juices
  • Bentforkx
    Bentforkx Posts: 69 Member
    edited December 2021
    Vitamin D is fat soluble, meaning it needs to have fats to be absorbed, it can be stored in your adipose fat layer. Take it with a healthy fat, like salmon, tuna, avocado, eggs, cheese, etc.... I chose to get my non-dietary additional Vitamin D through a fish oil supplements fortified with Vit D.
  • Hollis100
    Hollis100 Posts: 1,408 Member
    edited December 2021
    What multivitamins should I take?
    I suffer from vitamin D deficiency, and my doctor suggested me to take Vitamin D2 and D3 tablets. She advised me to take it effectively as it is of high dose. I have fatigue, muscle ache, and I'm also losing a lot of hair, any other suggestions from anyone other than exposing to sunlight

I googled Vitamin D and deficiency and it said 400-800 units a day, but people who are deficient sometimes take a supplement of several thousand units a day.

I suggest you ask the doctor what specific vitamin and dose you should take.

• jonni82014
    jonni82014 Posts: 1,359 Member
    If your Doctor states you have low Vitamin D. Then your Doctor should prescribe the right dosage for you. Take a Vitamin D test to check your levels. You might have a loss of bone density as well along with the symptoms you mentioned. Take a bone density test (DEXA) . I take Vitamin D3 2000IU as a supplement, along with Fish Oils and healthy Vitamin D foods.
    It’s a journey. Take care.

• Cozgirl40
    Cozgirl40 Posts: 30 Member
    jonni82014 wrote: »
    If your Doctor states you have low Vitamin D. Then your Doctor should prescribe the right dosage for you. Take a Vitamin D test to check your levels. You might have a loss of bone density as well along with the symptoms you mentioned. Take a bone density test (DEXA) . I take Vitamin D3 2000IU as a supplement, along with Fish Oils and healthy Vitamin D foods.
    It’s a journey. Take care.

Yes! A few years ago, I was fatigued all the time, had muscle aches and just generally felt awful. My doctor tested my Vit D levels and they were well under the lowest normal of 30. He prescribed a high dose pill (50,000IU) every day for 1 week. After that he told me to take Vit D supplements along with my usual vitamins. I take 2000IU a day now.
  • I take magnesium with my D it really helps with aches. My massage therapist even uses a topical gel that is magnesium rich. I put the gel in my favorite bath and body lotion/cream and use it regularly, especiallyon my achy hands. Just throwing that out there.
  • Archcurl
    Archcurl Posts: 239 Member
    Honestly, my body doesn't really make it or get it from foods. So I take a super high dosage of about 1600iu every day.
    But this is what my doctor prescribes for me, for you it might be different depending on health, weight & exercise. I have chronic issues (nothing to do with my weight) which make my needs of it higher. If I feel bad enough I take an even higher dosage.
  • Leecland
    Leecland Posts: 2 Member
    edited February 2022
    You could look for a daily complex of multivitamins which also comprises minerals like Calcium, Magnesium. It's crucial to take vitamin D3 with Calcium; otherwise, you're taking it in vain. Moreover, if you have the symptoms you mentioned above, you should have an appointment with your doctor. Maybe it's an additional cause why your gut isn't absorbing it well. A few weeks ago, I was prescribed fenbendazole -https://www.fenbenlab.com/product/fenbendazole-powder/ for eradicating Giardia, and I had some unpleasant adverse reactions. Fortunately, my doctor changed the medication and the dosage.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited February 2022
    I believe vit D and magnesium go hand in hand so maybe you could try getting more magnesium as well. From a quick google search, foods that are rich in magnesium include dark chocolate, legumes, avocado, nuts and seeds, bananas, leafy greens. I am not a doctor obviously so you know. Maybe you could ask you dr for suggestions other than vit D supplementation.
  • poisonesse
    poisonesse Posts: 527 Member
    I'm not D deficient, but my multivitamin contains 1000 IU of D3. My husband WAS deficient, and the doctor had him on an additional 2000 IU of D3 on top of the 1000 IU in his multivitamin. But your doctor should tell you how much of it you need to get your counts where they need to be.
  • dontlikepeople
    dontlikepeople Posts: 132 Member
    edited February 2022
    I take evl nutrition brand everything, including their d3 pills, and also their multi vitamin "vitamode" and their test booster which is basically just ZMA

Edit: Ugh, I just realized how old this thread is. This person had their answer months ago.
  • jaxnjosh
    jaxnjosh Posts: 50 Member
    For hair loss, I take the Nature Made hair and nails gummies with biotin. Its not a miracle cure all, but after about a month, I noticed my nails and hair were growing a bit faster. Hope this helps
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!