I signed up for Noom. (long)

misterhub
misterhub Posts: 6,106 Member
I am spinning my wheels, and slowly killing myself in the process.

I realized that I am not very good at self-discipline when it comes to food and exercise. Regardless my past success, I seem unable to employ this ad hoc. Clearly, I need a framework.

I became disenchanted with WW. I realize that is not true for many of you, while it is true for others. I lost large amounts of weight twice previously on WW, so you'd think I'd be inclined to return to what worked. But, as I said, I really don't like the evolution that has proceeded within the organization. That just me. You don't have to agree with me. I don't have to agree with you.

But, I do need some structure. I am not a fan of meal services geared toward weigh loss. They cost a lot of money, and they do not address the underlying causes of overeating - simply the symptoms.

Food is a drug for me. I do fine for breakfast, lunch, even dinner. But, if I am bored - I reach for food. If I am anxious - I soothe my fears with food. Sometimes, even if I am legit hungry - I'll reach for a poorer choice - because I have "taste" for something. All very frustrating to me because I know what I am doing when I do it. But, I still do it. Clearly, I have some ghosts in the machine.

Enter Noom. Noom focuses on finding those ghosts and dealing with them. You get a structured program: 1) Daily weigh-ins; 2) Food logging; 3) Course material. (NOTE: Noom is totally app based on your phone, which is a problem for some folks. I like it. Everything is all together.) You also get a coach. While the general approach is coaching a team, you can get one-on-one coaching for no extra cost.

Noom is based on Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. So, it's basically about leading you to realizations and making connections through their course material. Food logging classifies the foods you eat as Green (low caloric density), Yellow (moderate caloric density); Red (high caloric density). The aim is to have 30% Green, 45% Yellow, and 25% Red as your food intake. Nothing is off-limits.

You also set a Super Goal, and you identify the WHY. Smaller goals are set to achieve the Super Goal. My first mini-goal is to lose 5% by March 15th.

This won't work everyone. But, I think it may be what I need. Regardless, I am the only one who can take positive action, and this is what I am doing.

I'll keep you posted.

Replies

• crewahl
    crewahl Posts: 3,675 Member
    I appreciate you sharing that, Greg.

I use WW. I’m not a cheerleader, and as a business they continue to find new ways to disappoint me. I think their business model of in-person meetings was an excellent solution for 1950, but they’re challenged more and more by online programs that are digital natives. WW can’t abandon their original model, despite the efforts to roll out virtual meetings, and that’s like an economic anchor around their analog necks.

They reason I use WW is, I suspect, the same reason you’re using Noom. It gives me a way to make decisions that fits with how I think and feel. Y giving me control of my decisions. I do think 90% of weight loss is the mental issues and processes, so maybe Noom's willingness to attack that dimension is a positive differentiator in the marketplace and in results. I lack either the courage or initiative or willingness to engage in that. I'll acknowledge that the things I struggle with are driven by behaviors I’ve learned in the past, but it’s a little like my golf swing - I’ve got a collection of offsetting errors that produce a result I can live with. It’s the same thing with weight loss - I’ve got issues and adaptations all stacked in multiple layers, and I’m afraid to pull too hard on any single Chenga block.

So I applaud you for doing what I’m unwilling to do, which is try to get to the bottom of why you make some of the decisions you do. I hope it works well for you.
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 7,757 Member
    edited February 2022
    I've looked into NOOM, but, like Charlie, I find WW "comfortable" for me. It helps that it has worked for me.
  • lowbar31
    lowbar31 Posts: 6,387 Member
    Go for it Greg, it's not like we are on a Weight Watchers board. They kicked us off, and oh yeh, they aren't Weight Watchers anymore. WW works, if you can get your head in to it. If you can get your head into Noom and it works for you, great. I need to get serious again to and I'm not sure which way I am going to go. I am getting tired of WWs change for the sake of change and this has nothing to do with the pandemic.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,454 Member
    Just MHO but sometimes WW changes to try to be better, sometimes so they have new and improved to lure folks back. I still recall the free fruit days when my meeting became SRO. I’ll be looking forward to your updates Greg. I do agree with Charlie that WL is mostly in our heads.

And I don’t recall much by way of details but about the time I started WW I read the book The Art And Science Of Rational Eating by Albert Ellis. I think it may have been written in the 70s. Only thing I really remember about it is I thought it was helpful at the time.
  • whathapnd
    whathapnd Posts: 1,222 Member
    Greg, I think it's great that you're readily willing to try something new, and I appreciate your openness in sharing why you're giving Noom a try. I completely agree that for many of us, if we can get at the underlying issue(s) that drive poor choices, we have a better chance of correcting those choices, long-term. I admire folks who can change their behaviors on a dime or quickly put in place new habits/routines. But I've also come to appreciate that those same folks just have a different way of thinking/problem-solving than I do, and that they likely process most of life's problems in the same way. The fact that I don't process the same way doesn't mean I can't/won't be successful, it just means I need to stop comparing/beating myself up when I can't just quickly shift my habits like many others do and learn and work with my own strengths and weaknesses.

I think it's George @88olds who says something like, "Weight loss is just a series of problems to be solved." I love that statement (love solving problems/doing puzzles) and come back to it often - - especially if I'm frustrated/things aren't going well. I find it useful to pause and ask myself, "What problem needs to be solved here?"

Anyway, sorry for the ramble, by,long way if saying, maybe Noom will be useful in helping clarify your specific problem set.

Keep us posted.
  • goldenfrisbee
    goldenfrisbee Posts: 1,640 Member
    edited February 2022
    Hey Greg, I started Noom back on on June 22, 2021. The psychology aspect of it has really helped me. I'm afraid I will always have to be mindful and track in order to continue to drop weight. So I have been happy with the program and I also found a Noom group for men on Facebook that has been very helpful. The Noom groups within the app are mostly women and I did not find that to be helpful at all.
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,106 Member
    Hey Greg, I started Noom back on on June 22, 2021. The psychology aspect of it has really helped me. I'm afraid I will always have to be mindful and track in order to continue to drop weight. So I have been happy with the program and I also found a Noom group for men on Facebook that has been very helpful. The Noom groups within the app are mostly women and I did not find that to be helpful at all.

Thank you for the information. That is helpful.

I have been pleased with the program, so far. Articulating things I knew within the psychology framework has been especially helpful.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,060 Member
    I always say what works for you. I am still doing WW but less thrilled with the latest version.