At Goal & Successfully Maintaining. So Why Am I Doing This All Over Again?

Replies

• fatty2begone
    fatty2begone Posts: 249 Member
    I have never heard of Tillamook cheese but will look for it. I missed typed and meant to indicate the cashew milk. So.. to grocery store tonight to search and try.

I love coffee... I drink 3 cups half caf in the morning (6 cups on the pot so I suppose 6 cups) and a couple flavored decaf in the afternoon. I have tried various teas and just not a fan. I like my coffee black so no added calories there. Whew. Winter always has me drinking way more. Thank goodness spring is around the corner.

@springlering62 thank you for posting, suggestions and keeping things entertaining. Glad to hear BL is learning a new trick or two. Gives hope to this oldish "dog" too.
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    I tried Tillamook cheese..got it at Costco…wow, great grilled cheese sandwich, which I don’t normally like, lol.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    edited February 2022
    Tillamook makes some great cheese. The medium and sharp cheddar is great. Readily available where I live in Idaho.

For a real treat, try their aged white cheddar. Aged two years. Runs $12-14 for a two pound brick and worth every penny.

Combine it with some grapes and some good sourdough. I serve that sometimes as an appetizer in fishing camp - sometimes it becomes dinner. 😁

Their ice cream is great, too.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,366 Member
    It took an extra ten minutes to shred a couple of pounds, but I was staggered at the difference it made in the flavor and texture. It was so light it was like mousse, and when we cut a serving out of the pan, we got long strings of yummy melted cheese.

I love cheese but can't go nuts with it because of the sodium. I got into the habit of buying it and freezing what wasn't being immediately consumed. This meant shredding it first because freezing changes the texture, making it almost impossible to cut up nicely when it's thawed. Manually shredding is very hard on my hands however.

Then I discovered the Salad Shooter. Shredded cheese in an instant. It does veggies too of course. I'm not a kitchen appliance kinda gal but that little machine has been a lifesaver.
  • GigiAgape1981
    GigiAgape1981 Posts: 64 Member
    I am a cheese addict. I have decided that piece of cheese on my sandwich, burger, or salad for an extra 70 or 150 cals just isn't worth it at this time. Rewind, most cheese: Feta on the other hand doesn't require much to provide the taste needed. So at 70 cal for a 1/4 cup and only needing a tablespoon for flavor this is a game changer for now. Tomato and Basil Feta is my favorite Feta.
    Drooling over Gouda, Havarti, Cheddar, Gruyère...MMMM cheese. Moderation at some point down the road.

I have never had almond milk, but I am going to look into it. Sometimes a bowl of Cocoa pebbles is needed because it just so chocolatey delicious.

I discovered Tillamook cheeses when I visited the kids in CA last week, but it’s available here in GA. I can’t beleive the difference in taste versus other cheddars. And it’s the same calories. You could easily get away with half a serving, it has so much flavor.

Yes!! I have not come across even one Tillamook product that is not absolutely delicious!! I live in central Cali, a variety of Tillamook dairy products is widely available in stores. Some of their ice cream flavors are SO good that they are better left at the store most of the time and only purchased for special occasions. 😃
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,344 Member
    edited February 2022
    ythannah wrote: »
    It took an extra ten minutes to shred a couple of pounds, but I was staggered at the difference it made in the flavor and texture. It was so light it was like mousse, and when we cut a serving out of the pan, we got long strings of yummy melted cheese.

I love cheese but can't go nuts with it because of the sodium. I got into the habit of buying it and freezing what wasn't being immediately consumed. This meant shredding it first because freezing changes the texture, making it almost impossible to cut up nicely when it's thawed. Manually shredding is very hard on my hands however.

Then I discovered the Salad Shooter. Shredded cheese in an instant. It does veggies too of course. I'm not a kitchen appliance kinda gal but that little machine has been a lifesaver.

I got a Pampered Chef shredder that shreds right into the bowl, has an adjustable handle, and is razor sharp. It’s not so bad, except watching hands and nails towards the end is scary.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,344 Member
    EliseTK1 wrote: »
    @springlering62

Thank you SO MUCH for this fabulous thread. I’ve been reading through it for about a week any time I have a few extra minutes. Thanks to you I now have a Ninja Creami in my Amazon cart.

There are so many things I wanted to respond to, but I’ll just say this one- thank you very much for your shoutout to Registered Dietitians. I am an RD specializing in kidney failure/dialysis with a great love of general health/fitness and a lifelong personal struggle with my own weight. Most people have no idea what an RD is, much less what we went through to get those credentials. It means so much to me (to all of us, really) to be recognized.

I recommend MFP to my tech-savvy patients when it’s indicated. I’ve had some start using it and lose enough weight to qualify for a kidney transplant. That is exceptionally rewarding.

Well, thanks for all you do!

My visits with my RD were pivotal in my journey. She was the first person to tell me specific foods aren’t bad. It’s our perception and overindulgence that’s bad, something I’ve also heard over and over here.

And her suggestions really made me re-think what I was eating, and how I was eating it.

I sincerely hope you have many many more satisfying successes, for your patients and yourself!
  • ldaltonbishop
    ldaltonbishop Posts: 95 Member
    ythannah wrote: »

I got a Pampered Chef shredder that shreds right into the bowl, has an adjustable handle, and is razor sharp. It’s not so bad, except watching hands and nails towards the end is scary.

There's a good chance tiny amounts of fingernail may have been grated into past cheese. Oops. Then it became a tradition that the end bits got divided up between the dogs and I. They are not so fond of the Salad Shooter as there are no more unshreddable tidbits now. Although they do still hang out underfoot, convinced that this thing will send a few pieces flying their way.[/quote] (From Springlering62)

---
    I learned about cut-proof gloves from watching Alton Brown. My husband got me some for Christmas, and now I'm not afraid to use my mandoline or grater! I'm too lazy to hunt out the mandoline and put it together, clean it up and put it away...but not afraid.
    Just an example:
    https://www.amazon.com/Zulay-Cut-Resistant-Gloves-Small/dp/B08W4MDNS7/ref=sr_1_27?crid=24TIUW6TIH7WE&keywords=cut+proof+gloves&qid=1645028373&sprefix=cut+proof+gloves,aps,59&sr=8-27&th=1
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,807 Member
    My son did a semester of university in Finland and couldn't find peanut butter anywhere. It cost me $100 to mail a jar to him!

I agree, with other posts....love your practical advice on navigating this journey 🙂, though I admit, any mention of finger nails in grated cheese makes me cringe so I just scroll on past those comments haha
  • EliseTK1
    EliseTK1 Posts: 479 Member
    YASSSS to the red beans and rice! I am originally from south Louisiana, and this is a delicacy. I can make them from scratch, but that’s not nearly as easy as opening a can of Blue Runner. My parents bring me crates of the large cans every time they visit.

Finding calories really is a huge deal. That happened to me today when I realized my lunch was a smaller portion than I planned. 🎉