Carry over calories?

Yesterday I ate 360 under my calorie goal. My daily goal is 1200 + 240 exercise calories = 1440. But I only ate 1080.

Could I eat all those 360 calories today? Or even half today and half tomorrow?

Replies

• kathymhardy
    kathymhardy Posts: 264 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Of course...weight management happens on a continuum. You don't have a reset button at midnight or anything. You are constantly burning calories 24/7. Time is a human construct.

I never thought of it like that. Thank you 👍🏻
  • anew45
    anew45 Posts: 17 Member
    Yes you can but don’t be disappointed by a possible temporary water weight gain or just seeing the scale be less consistent.
  • saltNpepperVal
    saltNpepperVal Posts: 4 Member
    sbelletti wrote: »
    I look at the week trend (both calories and scale.) Sometimes I will "bank" extra calories by eating slightly under for a few days so I have wiggle room to splurge for a special event or treat.

I like to do this by going to the reports tab and look at the calories count on it. That helps me see my averages and view it more as long term goals.
  • snapem
    snapem Posts: 24 Member
    Yeh I think this makes sense. If I do a day of big exercise I don’t necessarily manage to eat all the calories that day. But I function better if I allow myself a bit more the day prior and the day after

Otherwise I can be in pretty significant deficit some days which isn’t good for energy levels etc across the week
  • experimentofone
    experimentofone Posts: 28 Member
    Ok, I'm going to play devils advocate and maybe go in a different direction.
    First question is....... are you wanting to lose weight or are you in maintenance?
    Is this a heavy exercise day?
    If your wanting to lose ... and ....this is an important "and"... you don't do this often.... then why don't you just say "Wooo Hooo, I'm under my limit" and move on to a new day?
    Take those little bonus days when they happen :smile:
    Again I don't recommend this if your always under, then I'd say you need to look at things.

This is only my thoughts from personal experience..... I'm a pro at making up reasons why I should be able to eat this or more of that...... hence my journey to lose over 100 lbs.

• kathymhardy
    I look at the week trend (both calories and scale.) Sometimes I will "bank" extra calories by eating slightly under for a few days so I have wiggle room to splurge for a special event or treat.

I like to do this by going to the reports tab and look at the calories count on it. That helps me see my averages and view it more as long term goals.

Where is the reports tab?
  • kathymhardy
    Ok, I'm going to play devils advocate and maybe go in a different direction.
    First question is....... are you wanting to lose weight or are you in maintenance?
    Is this a heavy exercise day?
    If your wanting to lose ... and ....this is an important "and"... you don't do this often.... then why don't you just say "Wooo Hooo, I'm under my limit" and move on to a new day?
    Take those little bonus days when they happen :smile:
    Again I don't recommend this if your always under, then I'd say you need to look at things.

This is only my thoughts from personal experience..... I'm a pro at making up reasons why I should be able to eat this or more of that...... hence my journey to lose over 100 lbs.

I only want to lose another 7lbs at the most. I walk on my treadmill every day x3 times @ 21 minutes each time.

• HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,970 Member
    I will sometimes "bank" calories, or have a day when I just plan on eating "what I want" while tracking it all, and typically don't sweat it too much if I've been consistently under my daily allotment the rest of the week. Sometimes I'll just take an "under" day as a bonus to my losses, too.

I'm not as close to goal as you are (still have about 15-20 pounds to go), so it's not a huge deal if I get a little extra "loss" in there at this point. That margin for error gets smaller as you get closer, but on the flip side of that, eating enough will be important, too.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,094 Member

Where is the reports tab?

On the website:
    9jxskg0derro.jpg

In the app you can tap on the pie chart symbol in the top right hand corner in the food diary and select a weekly view.
    37gdjwkvwu6s.jpg
  • snapem
    snapem Posts: 24 Member
    @Lietchi
    This is super helpful thanks

I’ve been manually trying to work out if I’m about right across the week but this is much easier 😂