20 lbs

2»

Replies

• avatiach
    avatiach Posts: 291 Member
    At a weight watchers meeting once (back when I tried those) two people who had slowly lost weight said two different (but similar) things. One said the main thing she had done was cut out her nightly glass of wine. Another cut out cream in their coffee. I don’t know if either of those things would help you.
  • sbelletti
    sbelletti Posts: 213 Member
    OP, you said it yourself... "it's just plain overeating."

The closer to you get to goal, the harder it is. Now is not the time to give in and go over your deficit. Stay the course and the weight will come off. It's usually slower, but it will come off if you stick with it.

At 20 lbs, your deficit should be set to lose between 1/2-1 pound a week. If you're hungry all the time, set it to 1/2 pound.

I'm within 5-8lbs of my goal and still losing steadily, but I do NOT go over my deficit. Ever. One day is enough to derail me for a week or two.
  • Walkywalkerson
    Walkywalkerson Posts: 453 Member
    Thanks for the replies and advice 😊
    The refeeding thread is enlightening and will definitely try that.
    And I have set my calories at half a pound a week loss and see if that helps with the hunger.
    I think an extra 200/250 calories a day will really help.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    Thanks for the replies and advice 😊
    The refeeding thread is enlightening and will definitely try that.
    And I have set my calories at half a pound a week loss and see if that helps with the hunger.
    I think an extra 200/250 calories a day will really help.

Please do keep in mind, though, that a slow fat loss rate can play peek-a-boo on the scale with normal water/waste fluctuations for a surprisingly long time. Speaking as someone who's done a "go slow" thing for some months fairly recently - admittedly maybe slower than 250 deficit, even - there were multiple weeks that the scale hinted I wasn't losing, and even my weight trending app started to agree . . . but eventually, the expected loss emerged from the fog, longer term. Hang in there!
  • pink_mint
    pink_mint Posts: 103 Member
    Count me in as one who has roughly 20 lbs to lose. Currently slightly overweight for my height. I hold my weight decently well and I feel so much better than when I was obese, but another 20 lbs loss will make a big difference. Getting further away from the overweight range seems to help so much physically.

I'm early 40s. I have to be very observant and skilled about it. My cycle seems to play a significant part for one thing. I don't know if this is normal but I can eat significantly more on certain days of my cycle without gain, and if I try too hard to restrict calories on those days, it backfires and I way overeat.

It's a balance all month though... of trying to stay ahead of overeating, by eating enough but not too much.
  • Walkywalkerson
    Walkywalkerson Posts: 453 Member
    pink_mint wrote: »
    Count me in as one who has roughly 20 lbs to lose. Currently slightly overweight for my height. I hold my weight decently well and I feel so much better than when I was obese, but another 20 lbs loss will make a big difference. Getting further away from the overweight range seems to help so much physically.

I'm early 40s. I have to be very observant and skilled about it. My cycle seems to play a significant part for one thing. I don't know if this is normal but I can eat significantly more on certain days of my cycle without gain, and if I try too hard to restrict calories on those days, it backfires and I way overeat.

It's a balance all month though... of trying to stay ahead of overeating, by eating enough but not too much.

My cycle messes with the scale too.
    I'm starting to think that I should bin the scales as they are demotivating me by not moving a single ounce 🙄
    I have been positively saintly as well with my exercise and calorie goals.
    This time of the month is when I start to bloat a little and crave junk food - it's definitely not a good time to restrict - it always backfires for me too.
    This last 20lbs is stuck to my body 😩

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member
    pink_mint wrote: »

I hope it helps: you can't magically eat more on some parts of your cycle than on others without weight gain. Weight gain (and loss) happens over time. It's a lot more likely that your body stores more water during parts of your cycle, and times where it drops water - which of course shows up on the scale as water of course also has a weight. Maybe people experience this when they have their menstruation, or at other regular times.