What Was Your Work Out Today?

Replies

• xojenbrassardxo
    xojenbrassardxo Posts: 38 Member
    50 minute cross country hike in the snow.
  • Sharsou
    Sharsou Posts: 8,844 Member
    I did arms today and running. It was a good session, considering my injured shoulder isn’t fully fixed. I still managed to do some weights.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    11,222m machine row in 5 x (2k on, 2' off/CD) format including the row in/out and CD meters. Shooting for around a moderate 2:35 (averaged 2:33.0/17spm), but seeing what's comfortable with slightly increased volume. Drifted into the very bottom end of Z4 for 4:18, but 76% Z3 overall. Feel like I'm accumulating a little fatigue, especially legs, but not terrible.

I usually try to drop row/bike volume a bit in January, add the strength training (see yesterday), then maybe work the row/bike volume up a little if I don't get too bored or cranky. We'll see how this goes. I like to increase a bit if possible, but avoiding overtaxing the bod is priority to avoid forced rest that causes detraining (there are a lot of miles on the aging odometer, metaphorically speaking).

@MikePfirrman: Thank you for the kind remarks. Li'l ol' lady tries, sort of. 😉

@Djproulx: Sending hopes for fast healing!

@dralicephd: Good show - your cautious progress is great, hope all continues well with you. It's an ongoing experiment sometimes

Good wishes to all: Posting here, and watching the persistent (inspiring) work y'all put in, helps me keep plugging away. Thank you!
  • alida1walsh
    alida1walsh Posts: 72 Member
    Warm up using resistance bands, planks and squats followed by a 10 km run and a cool down. Then I rewarded myself with a flat white coffee from the park cafe.
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 980 Member
    I was pretty sedentary yesterday as I needed to go my scuba club EGM in the evening. I did a lot of walking to get there, so got around 17,000 steps.

I have been on a minor cut this year - my weight drifted up to 147 pounds. I aimed to cut to 142; I have consistently been below that for a few days, so my diet is officially over. So I am eating proper amounts of food again. (Maintenance seems to be around 2,400 calories, I aimed at 1,800 on the cut but was probably a bit above that on average.)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I started physical therapy on Tuesday and it kicked my butt...I think I'm still recovering because I'm sleeping like a rock and have had trouble getting up the last couple of days to Zwift before work so I'm going to get a ride in this evening...not my preference, but I haven't been on since Tuesday morning.

Unfortunately, no weight room for a couple of weeks. My PT wants me to bring in my program for our next appointment so he can add and remove some things temporarily to address some muscular imbalances that are causing my issues and then show me some things going forward to help keep things better maintained. He looked at it briefly on Tuesday and thought it was overall sound, just need to address a few specific things in isolation.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    edited February 2022
    Walked a mile on the treadmill and then some light circuit training (still recovering from The Rona at the first of the year, and threw my back out at the same time, and I haven't really gotten my lungs all the way back yet so taking it eeeeaaaaasy... ;) ).
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    I ran 8.5km today. in a storm. Last week I ran 7km and nearly fainted and threw up at the end while I could have gone on today. Looks like my body had a brilliant day :smiley:
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Gym day today. Circuits of alternating upper body/lower body movements, with 5min intervals on the assault bike between rounds.

My trainer removed any calf work from my routine today. She also gave me a fairly strong scolding since she knew that my calf needed more rest. She was right, of course.

So, nothing more than trainer rides and elliptical work this week. Tri Club ride on Zwift tonight.

• Tugger4me
    Tugger4me Posts: 1 Member
    7k Friday, need to crack PB of 42.41 on the Concept 2 ERG rower - this new machine kicking my *kitten* atm but making progress. Convert from LF GX water rower where time's where about 35mins. Got the drag factor sorted and found ideal resistance level for this machine as each is different. 30mins on Elliptical trainer and some free weights and Pilates to end.
  • dralicephd
    dralicephd Posts: 401 Member
    Weird scheduling this week, so did my mini-strength training a day earlier than normal. I started with a a 20 min. Zone 3 elliptical warm up and then repeated Monday's routine (Pushups, rows, squats, bridges, abs) with just a tiny increase to weight on the squats. The lowest incline pushup set is still comically difficult, but I did it, so I guess that is progress. :smiley:

It was weird to workout after a day of standing at work. I guess I've gotten my "stand-all-day legs" back, as I don't think I could've done this a few weeks ago.
  • Djproulx
    Did an hour ride on Zwift last night with my club pals. Enjoyed the chatter via Discord that became only heavy breathing during the long climbs.

Just an easy walk today. Going to give my calf the proper rest.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited February 2022
    Had an unplanned rest day yesterday -- sinus headache that wouldn't quit.

Today was the 2nd hard day planned. Supersets in the AM, then a hard interval row at lunch.

Did 8 X 500m/1' rest (one minute rest). Old man "sprint" paces -- I started out way too fast (1:52 on the first one) and then crashed a bit from there and ended up recovering some on the last few. One minute just isn't a ton of recovery time -- essentially it's a 2 minute sprint, one minute recover X 8. Ended up at a 2:02 pace average. HR hit 93% max. I used to do this workout in the low 1:50s average, so I'm consistently around 10 seconds off peak paces currently.

Did a 30 minute semi brisk C/D after that unstrapped. 900 some calories on the hour.
  • AnnPT77
    Thought I posted yesterday, evidently didn't: It was 22,067m stationary bike (Z3 and below, pretty easy), which took around an hour, plus 48' dumbbell supersets.

Today, back on C2 rowing machine; 5 x (2k on, 2" off) for a total of 11,178m in an hour exactly, once the row in/out and CD meters and time are counted. This was a little higher intensity, 23' Z4, 27' Z3, remainder below. It always amuses me when my HR tops out - as it did today - at or above my 220-age estimated max (154), even though it's really only around 80% reserve/85% max.

Last 2k slightly the fastest, at 9:50.7 time. Pace across the 2k pieces was 2:30.6 at 17spm. Lower spm at a little higher intensity is a "strength-y-er" workout, more emphasis on power . . . defined wrt a li'l ol' lady lightweight, as always. 😉🤣

HRM claimed 405 calories, C2 says 479 (weight adjusted). It would be really hard for me to exercise my way to weight loss. 🤷‍♀️
  • Djproulx
    Mostly foam rolling and mobility work at the gym, then some turkish get ups. Finished with 20 easy minutes on the elliptical, stopping when I felt tightness in my left calf.
  • AnnPT77
    edited February 2022
    22,038m stationary bike, moderate, mostly Z2, some Z3, just a few breaths under an hour; then 50' of dumbbell supersets. (Sister Rosetta Tharpe as background music for the latter, which was pretty great, subjectively speaking.)

I keep gradually progressing the strength training . . . still at objectively pathetic levels, though. I feel like some parts (left shoulder particularly) are just on the cusp of either actually strengthening, or failing out in some way (which has happened with other parts in the past), so I'm proceeding slowly and cautiously. I'm happy enough being old (overjoyed, actually, considering the real alternatives!), but I think I'd be better off if I'd started some of this stuff earlier in life.😆

ETA: Garmin says 802 active minutes this week (of a goal of 150), 162 today alone. Better late than never, maybe? 😉

Rest day tomorrow. Mulling whether to try to keep the row/bike volume increase next week. Monday's especially iffy for that, schedule-wise.
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 980 Member
    On Friday, I lifted. I did:
    3 sets of 5, squat, 80 kgs.
    2 sets of 5, OHP, 35 kgs.
    1 single, OHP, 40 kgs. I was going for reps, but I'm weak. I hangboarded a little between sets.

Yesterday, I climbed, for a little over 2 hours. It was very fun, I got a load of new routes.
  • Djproulx
    edited February 2022
    First swim in quite a while this morning. My pace was slow and distance wasn't long at 1500yds, but it was a start. I have some work to do to gain swim fitness, but there is plenty of time.
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    310 minutes on myElliptical for 20.16 miles.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Easier 10K on the rower yesterday and 12K on the rower again today (also easy).

Just boring stuff. Lower back feeling good, though, so I'm happy.