What Was Your Work Out Today?

Replies

• Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    We had an unusually warm day today, so five of us took advantage of it by riding outdoors. Temps in the low 50's and sunny with no wind. Perfect for February in Ct.

We did some fairly heavy climbing over most of the 20 mile route, then pushed the pace (21-22mph) over the last few miles, which were flat and recently paved. Overall pace for the route was 16.5mph. It was a fun ride.

Heading to the gym tomorrow. The bike goes back on the trainer. :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    Back to rowing machine, 5 x (2k on, 2' off/CD) as per recent usual, moderate SS. Negative splitted the 5 pieces, starting at 2:33.8 (20 spm), ending at 2:27.2 (18 spm), for an average of 2:30.8 overall. 34% Z4, 51% Z3, remainder below. Nice steady HR creep in each piece, with a slightly higher peak each round, and a big/quick drop during the "off" (appx 15" row out easy, 45" water break, 1' row in easy, then full 2' CD on the last one).

nvigopz4ff0f.png

Garmin says 409 calories, C2 says 478 (weight adjusted). Meh.

Today was Osteopath tune-up day, so I was happy that I got the full workout I wanted in before my appointment.
  • mrmota70
    mrmota70 Posts: 523 Member
    Outside jog. 4.3 miles. Over half of it was against the 20+ mph wind 🌬 gusts. Definitely could feel the resistance. However managed to keep my pace under 10 mins per mile. Good enough.
  • dralicephd
    dralicephd Posts: 401 Member
    45 min. on the elliptical today (Zone 3).

Today was supposed to be another strength training day, but I decided to skip it. My shoulder is feeling iffy, so I'm going to rest it. I'm not sure if I overdid it with the pushups the other day or if it is something else, but either way it's telling me "no" and I'm going to listen. I guess I could've done lower body, but well, I'm showered and relaxed now, so that ship has sailed. oops. :smile:
  • Djproulx
    strength session with trainer. atomic pushups, fallouts on sliders, kb squats, gorilla rows, trx seated pullups, etc.

After deep tissue work and lots of rest, my calf seems better. Will start by walking a few miles tonight, hoping to resume running later in the week.
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 972 Member
    Sunday
    I originally intended to have a rest day, although I did a walk so got 22,000 steps.

Monday
    Climbing, 2 hours. This was a very good session, my best for a while. I got a load of new routes in the v3-v4 range, and repeated ones I got recently. My current favourite is a terrifying slab that takes me around 2 minutes, as it requires slow, deliberate moves and has lots of resting places.

I got a lot further on a thuggy overhang than I've managed before, and got to the penultimate hold. (You need to cut loose to get there.) I was so surprised that I hung there for a few seconds not sure of what to do next, and then gravity intervened.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    physical therapy this afternoon...if he doesn't beat me up too bad I'll do a quick 30-40 minute Zwift when I get home.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Did my online rowing club's ITC row today. Basically, it's the inner club row just between members. It's just a training row to show your progress. It was a 30 minute restricted rate row @ rate 20. So you basically set your ErgData up and count strokes, 20 per minute, until you hit 600.

This is similar to the row that was the last straw on my disc four years ago and with the slight niggle I had early in the month, wasn't sure I was going to do this row as typically I'd set the DF up on this one.

Did it anyway, back was feeling good and used the bungee around the rail to make sure I tried to work form at the same time. Ended up with 6663 meters in 30 minutes (2:15.0) pace. I was never very good these rows but this around 11 seconds off my old restricted pace, so cardio is a bit better than strength at the moment (my unrestricted rows have been around 10 seconds off my old paces), so my moving up to 3X a week in lifting is probably the right idea. Ended with around a 10 minute C/D, so around 9000 meters all told plus the lifting.

Did supersets this morning as well.
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    240 minutes on the Elliptical for 16.3 miles.
  • thewhipple12955
    thewhipple12955 Posts: 73 Member
    45 minutes on Peloton and 35 minutes weight lifting 5 days a week. weekends I run 8 miles on Saturday and same on Sunday. Keep it rolling people!
  • AnnPT77
    21,965m stationary bike, moderate pace (91-92W on the 10K pieces), mostly Z2 but drifted into Z3 by about 4bpm toward the end of the 2nd piece. Finished that (just a bit under an hour) barely in time for a Zoom rowing club board meeting, then post meeting did 45' dumbbell supersets late evening.
  • MikePfirrman
    Internet went out at my house in the AM and since I work from home, just started my workout early at 9 AM. Living on a mountain ridge is great normally, except on windy days! It was gusting at 50 MPH today when I was rowing. I didn't realize that wind can impact DF (drag factor). It was gusting so hard that in real time my DF readings on my ErgData were jumping from 119 to 135 and 140. It was like that the day I tweaked my lower back too, so I backed off the DF today a bit more to offset the wind conditions.

Anyway, did 6K X 2 with a 1 minute break. Took around an hour. HR drifted a bit higher than I like (70% max) but was wanting to get inside with the windy conditions.
  • Djproulx
    Starting lap swimming to rebuild base swim fitness before the spring. Quick swim at lunch today.
    600 yd warmup, (swim/kick/pull) then finger tip and catch up drills, then a short ladder: 50, 100, 150, 200, 150, 100, 50; cooldown. 1650 total.

3.1 mile fast paced walk after work. My left calf felt fine, so I'll resume running later this week, most likely on trails.
  • AnnPT77
    The usual, 11,181m rowing machine, mostly Z3 (73% of the time), remainder below, peak at 139bpm which is around 68% reserve/77% max. Fairly constant splits across the 5 2k pieces, averaging 2:32.7/17spm which is 98W. Total duration right around an hour.

Working on combining quicks arms away/body over after the finish with extension from the shoulder, then emphasizing spending legs properly before the body swing on the drive. I was trying to hold around 2:35, but there's only so much I feel like I can slow the slide after a reasonable drive, without the ratio feeling silly-syncopated. Some of this was as low as 15-16spm, which is about as low as I can manage right now, with reasonable ratio, it seems.

I know this gets boring for the reader, I do . . . but posting here helps keep me accountable to myself, so thank you for your patience . . . .
  • Djproulx
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    The usual, 11,181m rowing machine, mostly Z3 (73% of the time), remainder below, peak at 139bpm which is around 68% reserve/77% max. Fairly constant splits across the 5 2k pieces, averaging 2:32.7/17spm which is 98W. Total duration right around an hour.

Working on combining quicks arms away/body over after the finish with extension from the shoulder, then emphasizing spending legs properly before the body swing on the drive. I was trying to hold around 2:35, but there's only so much I feel like I can slow the slide after a reasonable drive, without the ratio feeling silly-syncopated. Some of this was as low as 15-16spm, which is about as low as I can manage right now, with reasonable ratio, it seems.

I know this gets boring for the reader, I do . . . but posting here helps keep me accountable to myself, so thank you for your patience . . . .

That's exactly why I try to be vigilant about posting. Not using a coach, nor doing a lot of group work currently, so I find accountability via posting helpful.
  • Djproulx
    Gym session today. Mostly dumbbell/kettlebell stuff: gorilla rows, RDL's, weighted lunges, chest press, etc. Pushed the sled at a lighter weight and lower intensity, but noticed calf tightness after a couple rounds. Will have to stay off the sled for awhile.

I'll join our Tri Club group ride on Zwift tonight.
  • dralicephd
    dralicephd Posts: 401 Member
    I did my typical 45 min. on the elliptical yesterday. About 1/3 of that was in Zone 3 (~70% max) and the rest zone 2. This is a little faster than my last few workouts, but felt super easy. I barely broke a sweat. Not sure what to make of that...
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

@AnnPT77
    @Djproulx
    I agree too. I've said before I wasn't sure if this would work with posting compared to a checking in some where in person but I find also posting here helps with my accountability.
  • AnnPT77
    dralicephd wrote: »
    I did my typical 45 min. on the elliptical yesterday. About 1/3 of that was in Zone 3 (~70% max) and the rest zone 2. This is a little faster than my last few workouts, but felt super easy. I barely broke a sweat. Not sure what to make of that...

@dralicephd, IME day to day things can make a difference sometimes (good sleep, recovery day, even better than usual nutrition or a few extra calories, even nutrient timing in a tiny way, etc.).

But mostly, X activity at Y intensity for Z duration gets easier, when repeated consistently over time . . . because that's the fitness adaptation, y'know? 🙂

Good stuff, that!

If a HRM tells you that you burned fewer calories (at constant body weight) for that particular X, Y & Z, be skeptical. 😆
  • MikePfirrman
    Same workout as yesterday (like Ann, sometimes I sound a bit like a broken record, but it does keep me going as well). Did 6K X 2/1' (that is just rowers short hand for 1 minute break).

Nice cold day today but no wind. Did at 122 DF and it felt easier than yesterday at 118 with the wind gusts. Max HR around 137 (72% max roughly). Did a nice job of keeping the splits/pace fairly even between the two without a ton of dropoff.