What Was Your Work Out Today?

Replies

• swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    180 minutes on my Elliptical for 11.56 miles. Was hoping to do a second session but I was needed to babysit for about 2 hours. Then didnt feel like it after that. Off 6 days and hoping to get a bit more in during these days.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    2 x (10k moderate, 3' easy) stationary bike, for a total of 22,013 imaginary meters in about 59', 90W average on the first 92 on the second, peak HR at 65% reserve/75% max.

Later, 43' of dumbbell supersets. Just for fun, photo of improvised home set counter (because I stink at remembering numbers about numbers, can only count reps reliably or sets, not both at once - Garmin is too annoyingly twiddly to use for this IMO).

h6x8fd9wxsll.jpg

I'm glad to know I'm not the only person relying on this thread for accountability to myself. (I don't really buy into the concept of "accountability buddies" in the sense of other people holding me accountable (not others' job), but I like accountability to myself, and I like sort of having virtual workout buddies - it's especially fun to have some who do very different things.) Thanks, y'all!
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 972 Member
    edited February 2022
    I went climbing for 2 and a quarter hours. I left when the gym threw me out. I was in reasonable form, and got a couple of new routes. There was one route I'd done before I failed on, but this was right at the end and I was quite pumped by then.

There is some similarity to my workouts as well. However, I have definitely slowly progresses at climbing over the last three years. When I started, I could only last about half an hour or so of climbing the easiest ladders. It is probably placebo effect, but post climbing endorphins are my favourite strain of exercise feel-good.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Slightly longer Zwift ride with my tri club last night at 85minutes. I've ordered a smart trainer, a Wahoo Kickr SNAP, which should enhance the Zwift experience versus my manual shifting based on watching the terrain and adjusting my power outputs to match.

I've been loosely following an RD's eating plan since Jan 3rd. Despite some backsliding in mid Feb, my weight has dropped 8lbs over the last 8 weeks. This rate of progress mirrors the 1lb/week rate of loss I achieved in 2017 during an active training build. Hoping to continue this trend, so that I enter my build phase very close to my racing weight.

Pool swim and trainer ride planned for today.
  • swimmom_1

On a sadder note, this week was the Indoor Rowing World Championships. Instead of competing, the top female in my indoor club is fleeing her home in Ukraine as we speak. She was an Olympian for the Ukrainian Olympic Rowing team. The indoor rowing community is a very tight knit group. That puts all the training into more perspective. I'm disappointed I can't compete at present but here's someone that doesn't even know if they will have a country tomorrow. Very eye opening.

Agree it's very sad and eye opening. Makes other problems, we all suffer, seem trifle in comparison.
  • AnnPT77
    Feeling fatigued, so took today's machine row a little slower, even though I think that's unhelpful to good technique, for me. 11,227m, mostly Z3 but some below.

It's interesting to me how a small difference in total time and (imputed) meters can be quite different subjectively and apparently physiologically. I've been doing this 5 x (2 k on, 2' off) thing for a week or so. These are two workouts 2/21 and 2/25, in that format, and both of which were quite steady pace:

Total time (per Garmin): 1:00:27, 1:02:20 <== only two minutes difference!
    Total Time for the 10k pieces (per Concept 2): 50:16.5, 52:07.8 <== still about two minutes
    Total meters (including the "off" meters): 11,160, 11,227 <== 67 meters - meh.
    Pace (average time per 500m on the 10k bits): 2:30.8, 2:26.3
    Average HR (bpm): 139, 125
    Max HR (bpm): 155, 134 <== mid Z4 vs. mid Z3
    Concept 2 estimated calories (weight adjusted) for the 10k bits: 478, 463
    Garmin estimated calories for the whole duration: 409, 334
    Garmin estimated total strokes (includes the "off" parts): 1075, 1185
    Concept 2 strokes per minute (for the 10k bits): 18, 19

Obviously, there's a little slop in there about when I turned the Garmin workout on and off, but it's not much - seconds. The bolded ones are the ones that I found most illustrative/striking . . . but the relative differences in calorie estimate between the ergometer (watts-based) estimate, and the HR-based estimate is interesting, too. (The erg estimate seems more sensible to me: Going X meters ought to be close calories, seems like?) The 2/21 workout definitely felt more challenging, from a fatigue/endurance standpoint.
  • swimmom_1
    edited February 2022
    Elliptical 300 minutes for 20.65 miles total (2 sessions, 200 minutes & 100 minutes) Finally hit the 100 lb weight loss today.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    @Mike - Sad story of your friend in Ukraine. Her situation is in stark contrast to the minor niggles we deal with here. Hoping and praying the fighting will stop.

Re: Kickr SNAP: at $399, it wasn't hard to justify. I paid around $250 for my CyclOps fluid trainer some years back. I decided on the SNAP since I've used both the Kickr direct drive and the SNAP a bunch of times before. The SNAP is just easier for me since I take my bike on and off the trainer a lot. Other friends have dedicated a bike to stay on the Kickr.

Rode for an hour with the club folks again last night, so I'm starting to get into a training flow. I'll increase cardio going forward, but the real change has been consistent strength work with my trainer. Hoping that translates to increased power and muscular endurance on the bike this summer.
  • dralicephd
    dralicephd Posts: 401 Member
    I did my standard elliptical yesterday (45 min... mix of Zone 2 and 3). I attempted to do some strength training and I just didn't have it in me. My shoulder & neck are still a mess, so push-ups were a no go. I tried, but it hurt, so I quit. (I think I'm getting my kid's cold and, for whatever reason, upper respiratory things always give me a stiff neck). I did one set of squats and one set of crunches, but then I just wanted to nap. I ended up sleeping a LOT last night, so I clearly wasn't up for intense exercise yesterday.

Interestingly, the elliptical workout really didn't phase me. I guess, as @AnnPT77 said, I'm adapting to that. If I think back to a few months ago, I'm reminded that I couldn't go longer than 20 minutes without knee pain. I guess I should recognize what a win it is to go 45 min. on a day that I don't feel my best.

Like others have mentioned, I like the accountability of logging here. I also enjoy reading what others do for exercise. :)
  • drmwc
    I went climbing. It was a relatively short session, at 90 minutes. I was with my little brother, who is a bit out of practice. It was good; I got some new routes.

I also got more than 12 miles' walk in.
  • swimmom_1
    326 minutes for 23 miles today (2 sessions, 200 minutes for 13 miles & 126 minutes for 10 miles). My oldest son, a exercise guru (he's in the Navy and has had 4% body fat at least once) said he was proud I got to the 100 # loss mark but said I should be doing interval training on my Elliptical instead of my long and slow. Told me to get my self a Polar chest strap and start and do much less time and I should get much more bang for my "buck." Guess need to step up to what some of you are doing, that I've been reading about.
  • AnnPT77
    21,954 stationary bike pseudo-meters, in exactly one hour, at lowered intensity (78W average on each of the 2 10k pieces. 60W & 54W on the 2 easy 3' intervals after each 10k). Almost entirely Z2, except 9" zone 3, 4:55 Z1.

I had planned a strength workout, too, but am skipping it today - feeling drained and a little achy. This is a slippery slope, but . . . .!

Also feeling like I haven't found the (subjective) sweet spot for right now, in terms of combined modality, frequency, intensity, duration. Or maybe it's just weak will: Always hard to tell, from the inside.

Garmin says 646 "intensity minutes" (an artificial construct) for the week, on a default goal of 150. "T'is enough, t'will serve.", I guess. 😉🤷‍♀️
  • swimmom_1
    edited February 2022
    Elliptical 321 minutes for 22.51 miles. (2 sessions-201 minutes for 13.6 miles & 120 minutes for 9.25 miles)
  • drmwc
    I got a dive in. We only managed one, as there was a lot of kit faff. My buddy had a free-flow we couldn't immediately correct. Fortunately, it happened straight away and I had a spare second stage in my car. So we swapped over, and then we were good to go.

It was a half hour dive, shallow (8 metres max), 6 degree Celsius water. I enjoyed my heated vest a lot - I wasn't shivering at the end, whereas pre-heated vest I would have been.

I did a 12 mile walk afterwards.
  • Sharsou
    Sharsou Posts: 8,844 Member
    Treadmill run for 2 miles at 2.0 incline, 10 chin ups, stretching, abs exercises:
    Crunch - 4 sets
    Russian twist - 4 sets
    Hip up - 4 sets
    Crossed tuck in - 4 sets
    Cobra - 4 sets
    Spider-Man crunch - 4 sets
    Bucket drop - 4 sets
    Windshield wiper - 4 sets
    Beast abs - 4 sets
    Twist crunches - 2 sets
    Side crunches - 4 sets
  • drmwc
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Garmin says 646 "intensity minutes" (an artificial construct) for the week, on a default goal of 150. "T'is enough, t'will serve.", I guess. 😉🤷‍♀️

Fitbit claimed 490 for me. It's not a metric I ever pay much attention to. I believe the 150 minutes is the WHO recommendation, although it doesn't seem particularly ambitious to me.
  • AnnPT77
    drmwc wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Fitbit claimed 490 for me. It's not a metric I ever pay much attention to. I believe the 150 minutes is the WHO recommendation, although it doesn't seem particularly ambitious to me.

Yeah, they're trying to approximate the standard governmental (US anyway, and WHO) recommendation to get "at least 150 minutes a week of moderate-intensity, or 75 minutes a week of vigorous-intensity aerobic physical activity, or an equivalent combination." (<= that's the US formulation; I assume WHO is similar).

I think the way Garmin estimates it is a little odd, and I don't give it much mind, either . . . but I figure if 150 is the goal, I'm not risking my health by skipping a workout when I'm tired, and their estimate is 646 already. 🤷‍♀️ I'm more concerned just to stay active, but manage fatigue. I should probably upgrade to a Garmin that would give me fatigue metrics; now I just use the feelz plus resting HR, mostly.

I'm surprised Fitbit gives you such a low number, given the huge volume of activity you do compared to average people, but maybe it's a different kind of algorithm in Fitbits. . . and if it relies on heart rate, I'm betting yours most likely runs pretty low for things like walking, since you do so much of it.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    12K rowing today (6K times two with one minute just to let HR settle a bit). Did the same yesterday but added five sets of supersets last night as well.
  • swimmom_1
    2 Elliptical sessions today for total of 324 minutes and 25.63 miles.