Activity level

Hello I was wondering if anyone could help me determine my activity level?
I don't want to choose the wrong one and end up with the wrong amount of calories.
At the moment I have it as lightly active.

My job is a personal shopper, so I spend 7 hours (Minus breaks) running around a large grocery/department store, and when I'm not running around I'm moving totes in and off carts, into shelves/freezers
So I'm never idle I guess haha
And average between 15k-20k steps a day, I also do weight training on my days off.
So, that's when I switched my activity level from not active to lightly active.

I am working on losing weight as my goal.

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I suggest choosing active(1 up from "lightly") and then log any other intentional exercise (like your weight training). You don't change your activity level day to day. It should reflect an average of your basic lifestyle before exercise, or including exercise if you want to do TDEE method, but then don't log it.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,094 Member
    15 to 20k steps per day is certainly above lightly active. Try active and log your strength training, as suggested above.
    And then keep an eye on your weight trend: if you're losing faster than expected you might need to bump it up to very active.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    You went in the right direction but you are far more than lightly active.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,546 Member
    edited February 2022
    On days where you're put in your work shift and hit the 15 to 20K step level you are at or above the very active setting of MFP.

A specific exercise such as weight training would normally be considered separately as an exercise and not as part of your activity level.

As an aside, not in terms of health nor in terms of perceived exertion or even in terms of benefit you derive, but purely as a caloric burn: your weight training session burns significantly less calories in total than running around a grocery store for 6 hours.

I am not saying that each minute of lifting weights burns less. But you're probably not holding the weights up off the ground for a full six hours either!

Regardless of activity or attempted deficit, your end results will depend on your logging abilities and on how closely you end up aligning with population averages.

Since this is not known ahead of time, the best strategy is to collect information (calories in, calories out, expected weight change, actual weight change) and then apply corrections based on your own results once you have enough data. While large mistakes may be obvious fairly quickly, many females need a full menstrual cycle and 4 to 6 weeks of data before they can form a reliable opinion as to what is happening.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    I agree with those above who say the highest level of activity setting..."Very Active," and log your purposeful exercise separately. That's how this site is designed to work.

Then log food for 4-6 weeks and adjust.

I am set at "Active" and I'm retired, live in a tiny place and have very little physical requirements. Then I log my daily outdoor walk separately.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Based on your step count, you are very active.