Breakfast

Need help with breakfast 🤦‍♀️ I have 30g of oats made with water & its 113 calories and a lot of carbs.
Any ideas for breakfast !!!!

Replies

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    How many calories do you want your breakfast to be?
    Do you have a medical reason to avoid carbs?

In any case, what about eggs and/or yogurt? Relatively low calories and carbs and good amounts of protein.
  • sandielewis2001
    sandielewis2001 Posts: 318 Member
    I mostly have cottage cheese with fresh sliced pear or berries with a bit of honey for breakfast. I also sometimes make chia pudding with unsweetened vanilla coconut milk, chia seeds, honey and cinnamon. Hope you are able to find something that works well for you!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    80 grams of rolled oats, milk, evaporated milk, sugar.
    Then again my dietary preferences and needs might be different to yours. Context matters Claire!

BTW - Do you actually enjoy oats made with water? Sounds grim to me.

(Mostly though I skip breakfast.)
  • OnceAndFutureAthlete
    OnceAndFutureAthlete Posts: 192 Member
    edited February 2022
    Oats can be a great start, as long as their the plain kind (not the flavored packet) and from what I vaguely remember reading, the regular kind (vs. "quick") are marginally better (more fiber?).

30 g of oats are a common breakfast of mine. I add 1t cinnamon, 15 g almonds (ground in my Nutribullet) and, after cooking (2 minutes in the microwave) 40-60 g of some kind of fruit (berries, apples, raisins, applesauce in a pinch). I add a little more water than the recipe calls for (just under 1 cup) and let it sit, and it reaches a good consistency and also adds just that much more water to my day. Sometimes I substitute peanut powder for the almonds. Whole thing is <270 calories.

I just read an article that adding chia seeds can be a good way to "bulk up" the meal with a little protein and more fiber. But I haven't tried this yet.

Also, there are lots of good recipes for "savory oats" that have more protein-based additions if you want more protein in your b-fast.

[ETA calories]
  • Bluebirdday72
    Bluebirdday72 Posts: 11 Member
    My go to is one whole egg mixed with a 1/2 cup of egg whites to make scrambled eggs. Sometimes I add a sprinkle of shredded cheese or feta. Low carb/high protein which sustains me for hours. Whenever I eat oats, I am hungry again within an hour.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    Nothing wrong with oats, they're good for a lot of things. They have a good amount of fiber which might be important to you. Nothing wrong with carbs either, but oats on their own are definitely mostly carbs.

When I make them I add protein powder, flax, blueberries, milk, walnuts. That balances out the macros nicely and keeps me full for a long time.

There are also great savory recipes online for oatmeal with added protein like egg or cheeses. It doesn't have to be a sweet dish, that's just a traditional preparation.

Heck, sometimes I have spaghetti for breakfast. That's one of the joys of being all grown up. :)

• LiveOnceBeHappy
    LiveOnceBeHappy Posts: 420 Member
    I eat 1/2 cup oats (one of the only things I measure by volume--just easier for me in the am) made with water and 60 grams of blueberries in it with 1 tsp of sugar. I eat this most days. 200 calories. Oats are good for you! They provide a lot of fiber and are filling.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 865 Member
    The oats you're starting with is fine....as long as you don't have a medical reason to avoid carbs. I also make mine with water often - so I also think that's fine.

I usually sweeten mine with one mashed up banana (but you can use any sweetener you like - sugar, maple syrup, jam, or something sugar free if you want).

I'd think about how you can add some protein and fat to that. I always toast my oats in butter before adding the liquid I'm cooking them in...get a little bit of brown on them. You could also add fat by adding nuts or seeds of some sort (chia/flax/hemp hearts) or peanut butter. I actually use Kodiak oats so they already have protein added, but you could throw in a scoop of protein powder if you have it. Or sometimes I cut my oats with quinoa too. You could also add yogurt for some protein.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    Need help with breakfast 🤦‍♀️ I have 30g of oats made with water & its 113 calories and a lot of carbs.
    Any ideas for breakfast !!!!

I have oats nearly everyday for breakfast during the week...they are whole grains and whole grains are largely carbohydrates...mostly starch and fiber. They are also a good source of vitamins and minerals and a decent plant based source of protein. I usually have mine with a few sliced strawberries and a couple boiled eggs.

In and of themselves, there's nothing wrong with carbohydrates and whole grains like oats are very heart healthy and of great benefit for those trying to control blood serum LDL cholesterol levels. Carbohydrates are just one of three macro-nutrients and despite what a lot of people think, aren't "bad" and do not in and of themselves have anything to do with fat gain or loss.

Unless you have a specific reason to avoid or limit carbohydrates, I wouldn't really concern myself with avoiding oats. There are many sources of carbohydrates that are also nutritional power houses.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    I have the same thing every day 6 days a week for 20 years. 352 calories.

66 grams of cereal Wheaties, raw rolled oats and granola. Mix doesn't matter - they all have about the same cal/g.

6 ounces of 1% milk. Banana, strawberry and blueberry in moderation.
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    I have a smoothie for breakfast majority of the time; handful of spinach, zucchini (courgette), carrot, green apple, frozen blueberries, scoop chocolate diet whey protein powder, a bit of oat milk & some water. Getting some veg , fibre & protein! Works well for me.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    I usually add some seeds and fresh or dried fruit to my porridge. I make it with water as well, not a fan of it with milk. Nothing wrong with carbs 🤷🏼‍♀️
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 978 Member
    Like scarlett_k, I also add seeds and fresh fruit (raspberries or blueberries or diced apple) or dried fruit (blueberries or cranberries) to my porridge, usually along with a sprinkling of ground cinnamon. And I too make it with water. Although it's high in carbs (something I do watch as I'm diabetic), oats are slow-release and considered 'good'.

My alternative breakfast is 100 or 125g sugar-free soya yoghurt with 15g chia seeds, 19g 4-seed mix and either 32g raspberries / blueberries or 15g dried fruit. The seeds bump up the calories such that, along with the two hard boiled eggs that I have, my breakfast is typically around 360 cals. But it's only 3g carbs and gives me 10g of fibre. It also keeps me full until lunchtime.
  • Bridgie3
    Bridgie3 Posts: 139 Member
    edited February 2022
    egg on toast? Sardines on toast, cheese on toast... (spot the theme)
    omelet?
    Oats are so good for you, but maybe go half and half with milk if you're not intolerant. It's not that they're 'so high in carbs' it's more that all they are is carbs. There's nothing else there.

Have them if you like them, but then also something like a piece of wholegrain toast with a big hunk of cheese on it to keep you going.