Does eating bread make anyone else hungrier?

13»

Replies

• fatty2begone
    fatty2begone Posts: 249 Member
    Bread for me is a trigger food. I avoid it purposefully or I will start to binge. Starts with bread and then anything I can get me hands on. So yes, makes me hungry.

Switched to the Ole Xtreme Wellness Wraps and does not have the same effect.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Yep, anything with carbs increases my cravings for more carbs. :( Bread, pasta, and we won't even whisper the word pancakes or donuts. For some reason rice doesn't do it for me though because that's a 'take it or leave it' food for me.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    This thread is over a year old. Why start up again?

Haha why not? And here we are 9 years later. The more things change, the more they stay the same. Right? :)
  • chris89topher
    chris89topher Posts: 389 Member
    Bread definitely is a trigger food for me and makes me want more more more. I try to avoid it as much as I can for that reason but I get weak sometimes, lol.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,932 Member
    edited March 2022
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    This thread is over a year old. Why start up again?

Haha why not? And here we are 9 years later. The more things change, the more they stay the same. Right? :)

apparently. :-|

Bread/wheat is one of those things that cause the moremoremore thing with some people but not others, like sugar and alcohol. I know I will over-eat breads, cereals, crackers and other wheat-based things in a compulsive way. Same with sugary things (with or without the fat, before someone jumps on this.) Yes, I'll eat a whole bag of hard candies (no fat! How can this be true!?) Yes, I'll eat sugar from the bowl. In the past I would grab a bowl of brown sugar and eat over a half cup of it at a time. I've gotten better but it's taken years, more than a decade.

..and this is why I quit drinking alcohol too. That compulsion that happens. Some people deny it's even a thing, and that's because they don't experience it. Just read any of the many "addiction" threads. I believe it's part physical and part psychological, but it's definitely real.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,379 Member
    No. Bread keeps me full for quite a while compared to fatty foods and protein. And so does rice, pasta, potatoes, etc. Besides, bread is love.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,970 Member
    No - eating bread does not make me hungrier.

I find it quite filling for the calories it has.

However I do find wholemeal bread fills me up better than white bread - presumably because of the increased fibre.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    Alas, I didn't bake any bread this fall/winter as regular bread just isn't filling at all for me. I could easily demolish half a standard loaf of freshly baked bread (and butter) in a very short time. I do have a better experience with bread that was sprouted, presumably due to the higher fiber or otherwise slower digesting.

I don't find pasta especially filling either - rice and potatoes are far more satiating to me.

I made some potato leek ham soup a few times this year which I find super filling and have been eating for breakfast.

(No matter how much I add to oatmeal, I can't make it enjoyable for a reasonable amount of calories.)
  • Bridgie3
    Bridgie3 Posts: 139 Member
    edited March 2022
    REman wrote: »
    When I first started using MFP, I immediately dropped bread because I noticed how many calories are in it. Now, about 6 months later, I found a type of bread with only 50 cals per slice, Nature's Own. I've been eating it, and because I've gone so long without it, I'm able to clearly see how my body reacts to it. Quite frankly, I feel it makes me hungrier.

Has anyone else experienced this? I feel as if you won't really know unless you go without it for a long time and start eating it again, otherwise you won't have a basis for comparison.

My experience is that white bread is like sugar, so it gets used up fast and I get a sugar low.

But Vogels bread not so. I keep a loaf in the freezer and whenever I really can't get by without something, I grab a couple of slices, and have vogels toast with butter and peanut butter.

The fat slows the carb absorption down, as does the high fibre, so my blood sugar curve is lower (but longer) and it just hits the spot.

When it comes to fresh baked bread and lashings of butter... I just don't even let myself go there, even in my head. Just parking it for now, till I'm thinner and my insulin resistance goes down.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Nope...I eat sandwiches a few times per week for lunch...no issue. I use Dave's Killer 21 grain and seed. Every Saturday I make a breakfast sandwich using a toasted English muffin, fried egg (broken yolk), ham, and swiss cheese. Pretty regularly have sourdough with various soups and stews for mopping. I never just eat bread on it's own though...it would never occur to me to just grab a slice of bread and eat it.
  • FoxySprinkles
    FoxySprinkles Posts: 32 Member
    Yes
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    No, but I don't like bread all that much in the first place, unless it's something really special (according to my tastes). That may be relevant?

I do like soft pretzels from a local artisan bakery, and also their focaccia . . . if I have some, I sometimes want more, but - trust me on interpreting my own feelings - it's not hunger operating, it's hedonism.

I don't disbelieve others who say "eating X provokes hunger" for them, for any value of X. Those kinds of things tend to be pretty individualized, though of course there are some patterns that are more statistically common than others. 🤷‍♀️
  • Walkywalkerson
    Walkywalkerson Posts: 453 Member
    Bread ❤
    Marks and Spencers bakery does this amazing cheddar and red lecister crusty cob loaf and I could and I have eaten the whole thing in one sitting 😳
    Within an hour I could eat again!
    So yes bread makes me more hungry- any carbs do to be honest regardless of their GI etc ..
  • FoxySprinkles
    FoxySprinkles Posts: 32 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I do like soft pretzels from a local artisan bakery, and also their focaccia . . . if I have some, I sometimes want more, but - trust me on interpreting my own feelings - it's not hunger operating, it's hedonism.

Soft pretzels are the best! Haven't had one in so long.