What Was Your Work Out Today?

Replies

• dralicephd
    dralicephd Posts: 401 Member
    45 min. elliptical with most in Zone 3 today. Ever have those days when you just want to be done exercising and somehow your brain translates that to "move faster"? Maybe it's just me. haha..

My shoulder is still a mess, so no pushups for now. Instead I spent some time with the foam roller and then did the tennis ball/wall thing to try and loosen things up.

Despite the upper body issues, I went on with some squats, bridges, and crunches.
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 972 Member
    edited March 2022
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    drmwc wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Garmin says 646 "intensity minutes" (an artificial construct) for the week, on a default goal of 150. "T'is enough, t'will serve.", I guess. 😉🤷‍♀️

Fitbit claimed 490 for me. It's not a metric I ever pay much attention to. I believe the 150 minutes is the WHO recommendation, although it doesn't seem particularly ambitious to me.

Yeah, they're trying to approximate the standard governmental (US anyway, and WHO) recommendation to get "at least 150 minutes a week of moderate-intensity, or 75 minutes a week of vigorous-intensity aerobic physical activity, or an equivalent combination." (<= that's the US formulation; I assume WHO is similar).

I think the way Garmin estimates it is a little odd, and I don't give it much mind, either . . . but I figure if 150 is the goal, I'm not risking my health by skipping a workout when I'm tired, and their estimate is 646 already. 🤷‍♀️ I'm more concerned just to stay active, but manage fatigue. I should probably upgrade to a Garmin that would give me fatigue metrics; now I just use the feelz plus resting HR, mostly.

I'm surprised Fitbit gives you such a low number, given the huge volume of activity you do compared to average people, but maybe it's a different kind of algorithm in Fitbits. . . and if it relies on heart rate, I'm betting yours most likely runs pretty low for things like walking, since you do so much of it.

I believe Fitbit does some calculation as to what your heart rate should be to count, which comes to around 100 per minute for me. If I'm walking alone, I may well be over that as I tend to go quite quickly; but quite a lot of walking recently has been with friends which tends to be slower. This tends not to count. I don't take it into caves, as it is not robust enough to cope; and a decent caving trip may well be 15 hours over a weekend. Climbing is always well over the threshold; but I typically only last for 90 minutes to two hours, around 3 times per week. IF I'm lifting, I'm generally below the threshold. I may go above it very briefly during a set, but it recovers quickly afterwards.

Anyway, yesterday was climbing for 90 minutes in a very decent session, and 10 miles walk in total.

In non-excercise news, my company was purchased today. I joined it whilst it was still a start-up - I was the sixth person to join. So I had a little equity, and should get a nice lump sum.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    PT this afternoon. Hopefully I get cleared to get back into the weight room. I was going to Zwift this evening, but my oldest starts track and field and has his first practice today so I have to pick him up later this evening and it's my cooking night, so I'll be busy as soon as I walk in the door. I'm planning to go for a walk at lunch, but this week is kind of wacky at work and that might not work out. Spin class tomorrow evening though.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited March 2022
    Did a harder 2K X 4 today/3' (3 minute) rest between. Went OK. Considering I did some lifting this morning, including 32kg KB Swings (70 lbs), I felt good. I only did four lifting reps. Need to get a few more done this afternoon - I like to do at least six supersets on my 3 lifting days.

HR got up to 95% max, which is to be expected on this hard of an interval workout. 2:08.3 pace total average among the four sets. Averaged 28 SPM (strokes per minute) on 3 of the four and 27 for the other, good for me with a 118 Drag Factor -- which means the flywheel slows down sooner, what some mistakenly refer to as "resistance" on the rower.

I did a 2:06.5 pace around 7 weeks ago but that was with six minutes rest. Moving from 6 minutes rest to 3 and getting this average made me very happy about this workout.
  • jmf552
    jmf552 Posts: 47 Member
    One hour Brazilian Jiu Jitsu class starting at 6 AM
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    1 Elliptical session today 230 minutes for 17.14 miles.
  • dralicephd
    edited March 2022
    30 min. after work elliptical... all zone 2.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    Took an extra rest day yesterday yesterday (Monday) in addition to Sunday. Think I will go for a light week this week, still feel like I'm dragging for some reason (don't seem to be sick).

Today, easy-pace stationary bike, trying to hang around around a low 75W (averaged 76 including the 3' CD), took just a bit above half an hour for 11,019m, Z2 and below.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    I remain slowed by a cranky calf. It felt Ok to ride indoors on Friday, ok on elliptical Saturday, then inflamed by walking over crusty snow pack on Sunday. Ugh. Guess I'll have to be patient and resist the urge to return to hiking/running until I've done some rehab exercises.

Rode a Zwift workout under one of their 70.3 triathlon training plans last night. 1:05:00 focused on strength endurance. Warm up outputs, then 9 rounds of 4min at 70.3 race output/ 2min easy fast spin recovery. The 4min blocks were done at low cadences (55-65rpm) to simulate a heavier load on the muscles.

Morning gym workout today. KB rows, elevated pushups, med ball overhead situps transferring ball to feet then back, TRX pull ups from seated position,etc. No calf stretching or calf loading done.

Will swim later today, then group rides on Zwift planned for the next two evenings.

Oh, and I'm ready for Spring weather. ;)
  • MikePfirrman
    @Djproulx -- Spring is around the corner because it's hot as hell here today -- close to 90! Today and tomorrow will be close to record heat and the rest of the week is back to pleasant. My days on the deck are numbered at this point -- I'll soon be back in the garage next to my "swamp cooler".

Did a Steady State 12K again today -- 6K X 2 with one minute rest just to let HR settle. Pushed a bit too hard at the end -- was developing a blister under the arm of all places. All this lifting has me pushing XL shirts. Have to move up to double "big boy" as my wife likes to call them soon. I only need to lose around five pounds but I like shirts that are super loose when I row or it starts to chafe really bad (like runners do), especially around the arms -- and most shirts now are made thin there to start. I'm familiar with Glide and other products from my running days but I'd rather not have to get into all that.
  • AnnPT77
    edited March 2022
    Rowing machine, just 3 x (2k on, 2' off/cd), 2k pieces at 2:29.1/18spm; time for 2k pieces 29:49.4, overall time 35:55, overall meters 6719; 5' Z4, 22' Z3, remainder below.
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 972 Member
    I lifted yesterday, doing:
    • Jump rope warm up
    • Hangboarding
    • Bench, 65 kgs, 3 sets of 5. This is the heaviest I've managed since my diet three years ago. It is my body weight, so not particularly good, but I was still happy with it.
    • Deadlift, 110 kgs, 2 sets of 6.
  • MikePfirrman
    edited March 2022
    Just another 12K steady state work on the rower. Because what I do on my steady state days is mind-numbingly boring, I'm just working on evening out my stroke pace, HR and form. Small things that would bore most to tears, but they matter in rowing.

For instance, I noticed that (because I'm not terribly flexible and I need to lose around 5 to 10 lbs and it all goes to my gut first) that I had been getting lazy with my knees at "the catch". Basically turning my right foot in a bit to cheat (my toes in and my heels out, which is terrible) and reach further with my arms instead of really bending at the hip with the back straighter, like you should. This became a habit. Breaking habits like that is what I've working on so much. I'm seeing progressions, just slowly.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    @MikePfirrman - 90 is hot! I'm still riding indoors for a while. Will ride in Florida in April, but until then, cold weather gear will be needed. Re: sizes, I'm down a notch on the belt and a medium shirt size all day long, but in skin tight cycling/tri gear, I'll always wear the Single Big Boy size, lol.

Gym session this morning. Bunch of TRX, kb work, med ball stuff. Trainer gave me the March/April pep talk about my weight loss goals. I"m well on my way to racing weight, but can't slack off now or I'll regret it in July.

I'm looking forward and a bit nervous about my tri club Zwift ride tonight. It will be the first one I've done on the new Kickr SNAP. I"m still getting used to all the variables presented by Zwift, the companion app, and discord voice server and now the new smart trainer. Not to mention setting my garmin watch and turning on the fan!!

Riding was so much simpler when I used only a power meter and followed a structured workout sent to that device. ;)

• AnnPT77
    Stationary bike, an easy 10k+3'CD, mere 81W on the 10k, 30:23.5 overall, 11,051 imaginary meters, 95% Z2.
  • dralicephd
    45 min. elliptical yesterday - half Zone 3, half Zone 2.
  • MikePfirrman
    Djproulx wrote: »
    @MikePfirrman - 90 is hot! I'm still riding indoors for a while. Will ride in Florida in April, but until then, cold weather gear will be needed. Re: sizes, I'm down a notch on the belt and a medium shirt size all day long, but in skin tight cycling/tri gear, I'll always wear the Single Big Boy size, lol.

Gym session this morning. Bunch of TRX, kb work, med ball stuff. Trainer gave me the March/April pep talk about my weight loss goals. I"m well on my way to racing weight, but can't slack off now or I'll regret it in July.

I'm looking forward and a bit nervous about my tri club Zwift ride tonight. It will be the first one I've done on the new Kickr SNAP. I"m still getting used to all the variables presented by Zwift, the companion app, and discord voice server and now the new smart trainer. Not to mention setting my garmin watch and turning on the fan!!

Riding was so much simpler when I used only a power meter and followed a structured workout sent to that device. ;)

I've been considering getting EXR Rowing. It's a new app that's the rower's version of Zwift. For the same reasons you're talking about, at least currently, it's not worth all the set up. But EXR is still in its infancy. You can't interact with other rowers yet, though they are working on creating a simulated world much like Zwift. If they end up getting there, I'll be tempted. Good for you being down a size! Not me! My waist always gives me issues. Ongoing battle!

Did another 8 X 500m interval w/ 1 minute rests. Off from last week's pace but OK. 1:58.9 today average (1:58.1 last week). But last week I didn't do a 4 X 2K that same week and this week I didn't eat in the AM, something I typically do only on hard rowing interval days.

Had to do this one in the garage. Winds were 50 MPH today.

Also got some supersets in this AM too.
  • theworkoutreview
    theworkoutreview Posts: 41 Member
    I ate too many donuts
  • dralicephd
    45 min. elliptical (Zone 2 & 3) followed by lower body strength (squats, bridges, crunches). My shoulder and neck muscles are still cranky, so I just have to leave the upper body to the elliptical for now. Otherwise, everything felt good.
  • AnnPT77
    Decided to do straight 5k + 3' CD today on the rowing machine at moderate SS, for no better reason than I haven't done that in a while, and I was looking for a little shorter overall duration. It took 28:04, 25:04 of that for the 5k (of course), so 2:30.4 pace at 21spm. About 4' Z4, peaking at 150bpm (about 80% max, 75% reserve); 17' and change Z3; remainder below.

Almost through this lightened-up week, and feeling a little less depleted. Need to think where to go next week. Mysteries of the body! 😆