I’m not pooping!

What the hell is going on? I’ve always worked out pretty consistently but I’ve focused on my diet more heat lately and I don’t poop. I read I need more fiber or water. I take a fiber pill and probiotic and I feel like I drink a lot of water almost 55 ounces a day. I literally never get the urge. Should I be concerned or what? I can’t be the only one. If someone has some knowledge on this matter I’d appreciate it! Thanks

Replies

• KimberlinaB
    KimberlinaB Posts: 4,016 Member
    I’ve heard from a bodybuilder friend that it’s helpful to have a fat bomb meal (greasy) to get things moving but not sure if this works for everyone.
    Prune juice couldn’t hurt either.
  • Hollis100
    Hollis100 Posts: 1,408 Member
    I would check with your doctor to rule out a medical problem.

Other than that, perhaps change your foods. Try eating oatmeal/steel cut oats, salads, broccoli, and cabbage and see if they help.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    A common reason among people on MFP is not getting enough dietary fats. People cut fat way down to save calories, but a certain minimum is needed to . . . maintain smooth throughput, not to mention to absorb fat-soluble vitamins (A, D, E, K), balance hormones, build healthy cells, and more.

If you've not defecated in multiple days, and have eaten plenty of fiber, see a doctor. There can be acute problems that are dangerous. Generally those things would cause discomfort, but I wouldn't take chances. Call the doctor's office, at least, if it's been days.

If it's not that extreme, take a look at fat intake. Think in terms of 0.35-0.45 grams daily per pound of body weight, as a minimum. If you're not there, have some nuts, seeds, peanut butter, olive oil, avocados . . . etc.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,366 Member
    Probiotics tend to be super constipating for me. I had pretty horrible prolonged diarrhea when my appendix ruptured last year, was advised to take probiotics and electrolyte replacement (I got badly dehydrated) and taking Align definitely reversed the diarrhea. A few months later I came across the remainder of the Align capsules and because I'd paid a stupid amount of money for the things (and probiotics are supposed to be good for you, right?) I decided to finish them off and my digestive system promptly ground to a halt. Maybe they're creating similar issues for you?
  • retta87
    retta87 Posts: 35 Member
    I don’t know if I’m replying right. But this could be the issue. I’m thinking about drinking a laxative tea and see what happens and ditch the probiotic. So last year not to get to gross I had diarrhea constantly and I started the probiotic to help my gut and it stopped the diarrhea. So I think you’re on to something here!
    ythannah wrote: »
    Probiotics tend to be super constipating for me. I had pretty horrible prolonged diarrhea when my appendix ruptured last year, was advised to take probiotics and electrolyte replacement (I got badly dehydrated) and taking Align definitely reversed the diarrhea. A few months later I came across the remainder of the Align capsules and because I'd paid a stupid amount of money for the things (and probiotics are supposed to be good for you, right?) I decided to finish them off and my digestive system promptly ground to a halt. Maybe they're creating similar issues for you?

• ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,366 Member
    retta87 wrote: »
    I don’t know if I’m replying right. But this could be the issue. I’m thinking about drinking a laxative tea and see what happens and ditch the probiotic. So last year not to get to gross I had diarrhea constantly and I started the probiotic to help my gut and it stopped the diarrhea. So I think you’re on to something here!

Can't hurt to try. Long before this I had a friend who was urging me to try kombucha because it was so great for the digestive system and it had exactly the same effect, I think it's similar to a probiotic?

I ended up using PEG (Miralax) to counteract the Align.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,668 Member
    When I was doing very low carb dieting I had the same problem. Fiber tablets helped, but it wasn't the same as eating my usual bran cereal.
  • justanotherloser007
    justanotherloser007 Posts: 578 Member
    Also, if your fiber is right and things are weird and you got the green light from the doc... I mean, magnesium. Seriously keep the water up with it however!! I drink a gallon a day, so that wasn't a problem for me - but it is what they use for the elderly, and before surgery. Can't go wrong.
  • justanotherloser007
    justanotherloser007 Posts: 578 Member
    Magnesium citrate to be exact
  • Bridgie3
    Bridgie3 Posts: 139 Member
    When you have a baby, you're told that baby might poo 7 times a day, or once every 7 days. That is extreme, but it is natural. When you say you're not pooping, do you mean never at all, or just... far less? Going low carb, cutting out breads and potatoes nad starchy vegetables, I went down to just pooping little sheep pellets. it was... well it was weird, but I'm used to it now.

I think so long as you are pooping at all, then the passageway is still working and is not blocked. But if you have not pooped at all, then that is extremely bad, and can end in sudden agonising death. :disappointed:

Sorry for scary idea. If you haven't pooped in 5 days go to the doctor.
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    When you say not pooping... for how long?

While many of us think of a BM (bowel movement) as being a once a day activity, it's not uncommon for it to happen multiple times a day, or once every other day and for that to be normal (and it's not a problem). If you're regularly getting to day three then maybe it is something to be looked at (especially if your BM are painful or uncomfortable). Something to bare in mind is that if you have reduced your calorie intake and/or volume of food, you will have less waste to remove from your digestive tract, often I find that when I first go on a cut, my BM pattern will change. Often from once a day to once every other day, but it can change completely differently.

A note on fibre is that there is a sweet spot between too much and too little. Depending on what your diet is like normally, it might be that the fibre pill isn't helping, and is could potentially be making things worse. Is this a new addition? And has it made a difference? If you eat a reasonably high volume of fibre anyway, the pill may not be necessary.

Something that if often forgotten as well is that fat helps BMs. From the sounds of it you're changing up your diet, and if that includes dramatically reducing the amount of fat in it, then that might be the answer. Fat is an important macro nutrient and making sure you get enough does help with BMs.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    I believe less fat and more dairy products has caused my system to change. I eat veggies and drink water, though probably not nearly enough. I still go but the consistency is very different.

Hope you get your issues resolved soon, it's not a fun feeling. It wouldn't hurt to make a call to your doctor and I highly doubt it's anything serious, just a change in diet might be needed.
  • cianag
    cianag Posts: 29 Member
    Before I started IF I was very regular, I knew exactly when I would have a BM every morning. Now I'm on a 20:4 IF schedule and I will go 2 or 3 days without a BM. If it gets past 3 days, I drink a glass of water with 1 tablespoon of Epsom Salts (Magnesium Sulfate). In the past I used to use laxative tea, but that takes longer to work.
  • Seasonal_One
    Seasonal_One Posts: 49 Member
    I agree that IF can modify a previously predictable schedule. Most diets do.
  • retta87
    retta87 Posts: 35 Member
    I have cut down on my fat and that could be a big component. Honestly I don’t know what is a healthy fat. I know avacados are but I hate them. But if you could give me some ideas for healthy fats, I’d appreciate it.
    Deviette wrote: »

While many of us think of a BM (bowel movement) as being a once a day activity, it's not uncommon for it to happen multiple times a day, or once every other day and for that to be normal (and it's not a problem). If you're regularly getting to day three then maybe it is something to be looked at (especially if your BM are painful or uncomfortable). Something to bare in mind is that if you have reduced your calorie intake and/or volume of food, you will have less waste to remove from your digestive tract, often I find that when I first go on a cut, my BM pattern will change. Often from once a day to once every other day, but it can change completely differently.

A note on fibre is that there is a sweet spot between too much and too little. Depending on what your diet is like normally, it might be that the fibre pill isn't helping, and is could potentially be making things worse. Is this a new addition? And has it made a difference? If you eat a reasonably high volume of fibre anyway, the pill may not be necessary.

Something that if often forgotten as well is that fat helps BMs. From the sounds of it you're changing up your diet, and if that includes dramatically reducing the amount of fat in it, then that might be the answer. Fat is an important macro nutrient and making sure you get enough does help with BMs.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    I have cut down on my fat and that could be a big component. Honestly I don’t know what is a healthy fat. I know avacados are but I hate them. But if you could give me some ideas for healthy fats, I’d appreciate it.
    Deviette wrote: »

Nuts, seeds, olive or most nut oils, cold-water fatty fish. Generally, because most people get enough (too much, relatively) saturated fat, you want to pursue monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fat sources (you can look these up, find foods you like); similarly, most people are overbalanced toward Omega-6 sources, so it can be good to pursue getting more Omega-3s. Avoid trans fats - entirely, if possible.

P.S. I'm another one for whom fiber pills were a bad plan. That was what my doctor recommended when I was struggling with constipation, some years back. That made things worse! He hadn't asked enough questions, and I was too ignorant then to realize: I was already getting plenty of fiber in my diet, from whole grains, veggies, fruits, etc. I wasn't drinking enough water, then. (I'm not saying it's water, for you - may be something else. But that's what it was for me, then.) Fats are important, too.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    If I were a betting man, I'd wager you've substantially cut dietary fat. I only say that because it's common to dieting...dietary fat is highly essential in general to good health and is also very important to regularity. High protein can also constipate.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    It could be water - 55 oz isn't all that much - especially if it isn't consistent. I eat 30-40 grams of fibre daily, and plenty of fat - but even one day of reduced water intake throws my digestion off for several days. Maybe try really watching your water intake for a few days before you make any big diet changes?
  • sarah7591
    sarah7591 Posts: 415 Member
    What is the tea you are speaking of?
  • Hollis100
    Hollis100 Posts: 1,408 Member
    edited March 2022

I like walnuts, shelled, unsalted. They're high in the good fats. They're also high calorie, so I can't mindlessly munch. I add them to salads and yogurt. Eating some now.

The package says;
    Calories per 1/4 cup: 200
    Total fat: 20 grams
    Saturated 2 grams
    Polyunsaturated 14 grams
    Monosaturated fat 2.5 grams
    Trans fat: none