Should we have a cheat day? I am on vacation and I find it hard to stick to the regimen.

If so , how often should we have a cheat day without feeling guilty? Please comment below

Should we have a cheat day? I am on vacation and I find it hard to stick to the regimen. 31 votes

Yes , cheat days are okay.
90%
jarelary4cfischer81KarlyK929alung2k3jeri30deannasawyertobistatlerjaeliarunningtothefuturemelissaTwinmomYolliB2014cathcarrdusmusicfan68Nicoles0305Mise_enPlaceangelnuggetemmasollyn23l2Hollis100ReenieHJasellitti6523 28 votes
No, you must have discipline and Will power.
9%
sherinshajanRuby2020Agooooofer 3 votes

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,525 Member
    Regiment? I tried to discover ways of eating that I could continue to employ long term while I was losing weight. 🤷🏻‍♂️
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Do what is right for yourself. Personally, I have no planned cheat days. Seems counterproductive for me, and leads to the slippery slope I was on for too many years. “I’ll start over tomorrow”.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Have a search on the forums for "cheat day", you will find lots of threads about it which show many different approaches. You will find ideas on ways to look at balancing your calories that don't need to make you feel guilty or like you have failed to stick to something. For me, it's about finding an approach that works for your lifestyle and that you can sustain long term.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Deviette wrote: »

And my thoughts on vacations? This is a time to relax and enjoy yourself. Give yourself a break. Put your process on pause, eat at maintenance, don't feel bad if you overeat, and then start back up when you get home.

This says it all. Good and different foods are part of enjoying a vacation. Life is to be enjoyed. Don't stress about it. When you get back home, you'll lose any weight you gained, as long as you don't allow your vacation eating to become your normal eating. :) Plus, many vacations can include lots of physical activity.....walking, hiking, swimming, biking, etc.
  • azuki84
    azuki84 Posts: 212 Member
    I find it humorous for people to try to validate cheat days as something enjoyable. There are so many other things to feel happy/accomplished about. Cheat days are not one of them.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Why connote negative? All foods in moderation, staying in your calorie budget. Find positive words, no bad foods, no cheating, maybe become just food and occasionally going over calorie budget. Building habits for a lifetime healthy weight, with positive results. We’re all human, allow yourself to not be perfect.
  • cfischer81
    cfischer81 Posts: 111 Member
    You’re a normal human who’s going to go on vacation, birthday parties, restaurants, etc, right? There’s no “cheating”. You’re living your life, and that will include the occasional splurge meal or dessert. Everything and anything in moderation. Unless you’re never going to eat carbs, sweets, whatever for life, it’s unrealistic to completely omit them from your diet. We are trying to learn how to be these people forever! That includes living your life to the fullest! 😁 So, obviously, it vote HECK YEAH! You’re on vacation! C’mon!
  • Ashleemurdochh
    Ashleemurdochh Posts: 3 Member
    I feel like this question depends on the person. I personally do not have cheat meals when I am on prep or trying to lose weight. I will reward myself with a cheat meal once the hard work is done.
    For someone who would rather have a cheat day or cheat meal during their weight lose, I would suggest having a cheat MEAL once a week. Doing this is perfectly fine and you will not feel guilt after consuming the cheat meal (depending on what your relationship with food is). I wouldn't have a cheat DAY though, as you may go way over your calorie count that day! Since you're on vacation, I believe it is good to enjoy the food and eat what you want in moderation!
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,582 Member
    I seriously cannot get past this part: If so , how often should we have a cheat day without feeling guilty?

Like it's a requirement.

And what constitutes cheating anyway? Some people think it's not logging every little morsel. Some think it's eating a cookie you bought from the store when the rest of your diet is whole foods. Some think it's just plain going past your allotted daily calorie goal.

"Cheating" on your diet is NOT a federal crime. There are people out there who murder others and not feel guilty about it. You're going to feel guilty over whatever food you said you'd never ever ever eat again? While on vacation? Really?

And has anyone asked where this vacation is taking place? Is the food even worth it? :)

OP, relax. Have fun. Don't be so stringent but don't go so crazy that whatever weight you may or may not gain isn't just water weight plus one or two real pounds.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    glassyo wrote: »

"Cheating" on your diet is NOT a federal crime. There are people out there who murder others and not feel guilty about it. You're going to feel guilty over whatever food you said you'd never ever ever eat again? While on vacation? Really?

That's a damn relief. I don't look good in stripes!
    :)
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,582 Member
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    glassyo wrote: »

That's a damn relief. I don't look good in stripes!
    :)

How do you look in orange? Cuz orange is the new black.

Or was before it ended. :)
  • Yes , cheat days are okay.
    I work long rotating shifts: 2 days, 3 nights, 5 off. It's a struggle to keep with my goals during my workday but using a "cheat" day helps me keep some sanity and take the pressure off when I'm the most stressed and fatigued. On my last night shift my cheat day starts at midnight, often I treat myself to a choclate bar to get through the last few hours. My dinner after I wake up is usually whatever I feel like on the day and a glass of wine or a beer or two.

I still track all of my calories (even if it's really bad) and I started off feeling guilty but what I have found on my journey is that more often then not I end up staying inside my goals as I'm making more sensible choices every day.

10.8kg down so far and the impact of a cheat day is minimal across the 10 day "week"
  • LifeChangz
    LifeChangz Posts: 457 Member
    edited March 2022
    we adjust our foods and eating for various legitimate reasons, so it is reasonable to consider alternatives, plan an approach then practice the approach.

f. ex, we change how we eat when we are sick.
    former approach ~ chicken noodle soup stuffed with saltines
    trying alternative ~ stuffed/loaded with non-starchy veggies.

feast days
    former approach ~ graze all day, lots and lots of extra food at meals (multiple plates and multiple dessrts.)
    trying alternative ~ skip in-between grazing. for meals, 1 plate not 6 platefuls; a nice spoonful of dishes I want to sample, and sample 1 or 2 or 3 desserts instead of some/1 of each.

personally, vacations are special/rare occasions. I don't want to spend it sleepy from over-eating, so I try to enjoy something I would like to try at each meal, but regular sized breakfast/lunches or a special snack, and at dinner use my feast approach of a nice plateful of something I really want to enjoy as I would a special holiday feast meal.