I’m not pooping!

Replies

• LiveOnceBeHappy
    LiveOnceBeHappy Posts: 432 Member
    A (one) fiber pill is nearly nothing. If you're taking Metamucil the dosage is 5 pills at a time for just 2 grams of fiber! I've taken to eating apples and oatmeal for more fiber.
  • Bridgie3
    Bridgie3 Posts: 139 Member
    retta87 wrote: »
    I have cut down on my fat and that could be a big component. Honestly I don’t know what is a healthy fat. I know avacados are but I hate them. But if you could give me some ideas for healthy fats, I’d appreciate it.
    Deviette wrote: »
    When you say not pooping... for how long?

While many of us think of a BM (bowel movement) as being a once a day activity, it's not uncommon for it to happen multiple times a day, or once every other day and for that to be normal (and it's not a problem). If you're regularly getting to day three then maybe it is something to be looked at (especially if your BM are painful or uncomfortable). Something to bare in mind is that if you have reduced your calorie intake and/or volume of food, you will have less waste to remove from your digestive tract, often I find that when I first go on a cut, my BM pattern will change. Often from once a day to once every other day, but it can change completely differently.

A note on fibre is that there is a sweet spot between too much and too little. Depending on what your diet is like normally, it might be that the fibre pill isn't helping, and is could potentially be making things worse. Is this a new addition? And has it made a difference? If you eat a reasonably high volume of fibre anyway, the pill may not be necessary.

Something that if often forgotten as well is that fat helps BMs. From the sounds of it you're changing up your diet, and if that includes dramatically reducing the amount of fat in it, then that might be the answer. Fat is an important macro nutrient and making sure you get enough does help with BMs.

Healthy fats are natural fats that you would find around you 300 yrs ago. Unhealthy fats are manufactured oils, usually, eg rapeseed/ canola oil, 'salad' oil, soya oil, - stuff that comes out of a huge factory.

Olive oil is just pressed from an olive. Coconut fat is just fat from a coconut. They are both safe.

Margarine is the carbon monoxide of fats: it binds with fat receptors and stops those receptors from being able to access actual fat and perform their function.

Fats solid at room temperature are fine if they are from an animal or coconut. Provided you don't superheat them they are good for you.

Oils heated and reheated (eg from the fish n chip shop) despite being unsaturated are terrifyingly bad for you.

• ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Walnuts, almonds, most nuts are good fats as well, right? Trouble is with fats that taste so good, a little goes a long way and it's hard to stop.
  • retta87
    retta87 Posts: 35 Member
    Very true 1 probably doesn’t do much!
    A (one) fiber pill is nearly nothing. If you're taking Metamucil the dosage is 5 pills at a time for just 2 grams of fiber! I've taken to eating apples and oatmeal for more fiber.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member

Speaking from experience: If fiber isn't the problem, a dry pill with even a little extra is just going to make the problem worse.

Are you logging your food on MFP? If so, how many grams of fiber daily are you getting from food, typically? How many grams of fats?
  • retta87
    retta87 Posts: 35 Member
    I’m really low on my fiber! Like ridiculously low. My fat I’m okay on. Sheesh there literally is a science to all this! I really appreciate the help.
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Speaking from experience: If fiber isn't the problem, a dry pill with even a little extra is just going to make the problem worse.

Are you logging your food on MFP? If so, how many grams of fiber daily are you getting from food, typically? How many grams of fats?

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    edited March 2022
    I’m really low on my fiber! Like ridiculously low. My fat I’m okay on. Sheesh there literally is a science to all this! I really appreciate the help.

It would be good to try to get to around 25 grams of fiber daily. You can use something like psyllium as a supplement as a transitional thing, but it would be good to chip away at getting more of it from foods like beans, veggies, fruits, whole grains, other foods folks have mentioned on this thread - any forms of those you like eating, that have some fiber. As a bonus, most people find those foods filling, and most of them are pretty nutrient-dense.

If you're logging your food, if you want to, you can replace one of your current nutrient columns (whichever one you're least concerned about) with fiber, so you can track it better. I see that you sent me a friend request - thank you. I'm in maintenance now, have different calorie needs than you do (and almost certainly different food preferences, that I wouldn't try to force on anyone else!), but if you want to, you can look at my diary and see where my 40-some grams of fiber on a typical day are coming from.

P.S. Don't increase fiber by a lot all at once! Do it gradually.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    edited March 2022
    The vast majority of people have constipation due to low fiber intake, not low fat intake. Definitely increase the fiber in your diet.
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    What the hell is going on? I’ve always worked out pretty consistently but I’ve focused on my diet more heat lately and I don’t poop. I read I need more fiber or water. I take a fiber pill and probiotic and I feel like I drink a lot of water almost 55 ounces a day. I literally never get the urge. Should I be concerned or what? I can’t be the only one. If someone has some knowledge on this matter I’d appreciate it! Thanks

Everyone's body behaves differently but I know in the past when I was taking psyllium husk it slowed down my movements compared to just eating fresh vegetables and kimchi. Pill form probiotics have always been weird for me so I try to stay away from them. These days I don't have any issues. I also drink coffee every morning which helps facilitate things, sometimes I just have to smell fresh ground coffee to get the ball rolling so to speak. If I eat a lot of cheese that will affect my day to day as well so I moderate that.

1-3 times a day is normal for me. If I went more than a couple days without going I would probably consult a doctor to make sure I don't have a blockage of some sort especially if nothing else worked.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    edited March 2022

It would be good to try to get to around 25 grams of fiber daily. You can use something like psyllium as a supplement as a transitional thing, but it would be good to chip away at getting more of it from foods like beans, veggies, fruits, whole grains, other foods folks have mentioned on this thread - any forms of those you like eating, that have some fiber. As a bonus, most people find those foods filling, and most of them are pretty nutrient-dense.

If you're logging your food, if you want to, you can replace one of your current nutrient columns (whichever one you're least concerned about) with fiber, so you can track it better. I see that you sent me a friend request - thank you. I'm in maintenance now, have different calorie needs than you do (and almost certainly different food preferences, that I wouldn't try to force on anyone else!), but if you want to, you can look at my diary and see where my 40-some grams of fiber on a typical day are coming from.

P.S. Don't increase fiber by a lot all at once! Do it gradually.

Yes, hitting my fiber (and protein) goal is crucial for me feeling full and thus being able to stay within my calorie budget. I have no reason to track Sodium and swapped that out for Fiber years ago.

Having one serving of beans and one or two servings of berries, plus other foods mentioned above, make hitting my fiber goal easy.

Another vote for increasing fiber gradually :)

Split pea soup has tons of fiber but it's a food my family and I, all fiber consumers, have to be careful to not overindulge in to prevent unpleasant gastro-intestinal symptoms.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    If you are on any medication- check for the side effects. My doctor changed one of my medicines and I got the most horrible constipation. Which was only relieved though the use of ex-lax- but I finally called his office and I was put on a different medicine without this side effect. so check your medicines(goggle side effects)- you would be surprised.
  • ReenieHJ
    Just read a blurb on the internet so it's gotta be true, drink warm water morning and night. :)
    And actually one of my neighbors had mentioned this awhile back. Warm water can stimulate your digestive tract whereas cold water slows it down. Is it true? I don't know but anything is worth a try. :)
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Just read a blurb on the internet so it's gotta be true, drink warm water morning and night. :)
    And actually one of my neighbors had mentioned this awhile back. Warm water can stimulate your digestive tract whereas cold water slows it down. Is it true? I don't know but anything is worth a try. :)

Well some people swear by coffee as a bowel stimulant so maybe hot liquids do have an effect?

I don't think cold water stays cold for long though. I suspect it's warmed up to body temperature long before it reaches the intestines.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Pills, pills, pills. People have to stop this nonsense.

Get a box of All Bran, work it into your food plan and when you have finished it and maybe a second, come back and report.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    edited March 2022
    Whats wrong with a fibre supplement like psyllium husk? It's certainly a lot fewer calories than 2 bowls of All Bran, which some people in a deficit may not be able to fit in. You can buy capsules without other additives or even the husks in a bag to mix into things you already eat.

ETA Many people did also mention how to increase fibre through food consumption and that longer term this is a good goal. Supplements are just that: to supplement when you don't get enough in your diet.
  • ReenieHJ
    ythannah wrote: »
    ReenieHJ wrote: »

Well some people swear by coffee as a bowel stimulant so maybe hot liquids do have an effect?

I don't think cold water stays cold for long though. I suspect it's warmed up to body temperature long before it reaches the intestines.

Coffee seems to do it for me every morning. Or maybe it's just an odd coincidence, timing, whatever else might be going on that time of day.
  • zenvoyage
    zenvoyage Posts: 3 Member
    I have been constipated for years (especially after giving birth to my son ( now 15). I use Senna twice a week which my doc said ok to, but many naturopaths told me otherwise. I started taking magnesium but not daily, so i may have to UP that ( magnesium is supposed to help ) Also Right now I eat 50% protein the rest is fat and carbs so I am assuming that is not helping but I have 20 pounds to lose so I am not sure what to attack first. When I eat more ( good) fat, it helps. At this point I am just taking Senna and Senna teas and drinking water and dealing with it.. If anybody has some suggestions or has trouble with this as well, feel free to comment ...