What Was Your Work Out Today?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,974 Member
    Back on the stationary bike for another 10k+3'CD. Moderate, little over half Z3, remainder below; peak only at around 68% reserve. 11,092 pseudo-meters and 29' overall. 100W average for the 10k piece.
    yirara wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Higher moderate intensity, subjectively, I guess . . . 40% Z4, 49% Z3, remainder below. Topped out at 156bpm, mid Z4. Around the last 3' of the 2nd piece were at 220 minus age or above, so that ought to be reassuring to folks who think that's a number where everyone's heart explodes or something, rather than just a poor approximation of an average statistical HRmax. (It's about what I'd estimate to be 86% max, for me, or 80% reserve - not massively high.)

Haha! A HR of 184 during workout would make me 12 years younger, assuming I hit the maxHR there 😜

Yeah. I suspect my HRmax is probably still near the 180 it was tested at, some years back. I hardly ever do max-effort stuff anymore, so hard to be sure, but the HR ranges calculated using 180 as max feel pretty close to what I'd expect, RPE-wise. That's a "26 year" discrepancy, if one wants to think of it that way . . . which of course doesn't follow, the estimating formula itself being the SWAG-ish factor. (Just genetics, mostly, nothing those with unusual HRmax deserve blame or credit for, IMU.)

IIRC, @yirara, don't you experience some unusual HR response sometimes? Or am I misremembering? My HR response seems to have normal behavior patterns, it's just that the max doesn't match 220-age.

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Everything else: Giggles!
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    IIRC, @yirara, don't you experience some unusual HR response sometimes? Or am I misremembering? My HR response seems to have normal behavior patterns, it's just that the max doesn't match 220-age.

Well... not really. Just a slightly high HRmax. But if Fox et al., sometimeearly70s has a standard deviation of 12 then I'm 3 from the mean. Just about. In a normal distribution, still nearly 5% of a population fall into this. So... not super extreme :D
    Talking to a sports scientist, and he wonders whether my heart beats so fast when exercising to get enough oxygen into my muscles, which he thinks might be a problem for me. But no idea yet.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    HR glitch from Friday's all out 1K seemed to have been my app. When I went back and looked at strictly the rower's stored HR stats, everything looked normal (actually very controlled).

Anyway, relief to know my app was erratic as opposed to my heart!

Did 70 minutes of easy stuff today - 6K on the rower and then 30 minutes on the LateralX machine (elliptical on steroids) with both the lateral setting and resistance on their highest setting. Did a great job keeping all HR under 70% max. My hard days have been brutal lately so I really need to control my easy cardio days better.
  • yirara
    edited March 2022
    Did kettlebell workouts again. Realized that my problem with turkish get-ups is the arm holding the kettlebell. Yeah, it hits muscles that I generally have problems with. But I still enjoy doing it because I love complex, slow movements. Maximum HR today: 184 :D I think from clean and press. Which I also love.
  • AnnPT77
    Today is supposed to be a rest day, but it was Just Glorious: Sunny, mid 50s F (around 12 C), when it's been as low as the teens (F, or about -10 C) overnight (and snowy) recently here.

So I went for a walk, at a pace MFP thinks is between "very brisk" and "very, very brisk" (🤣) . . . and was in fact faster than usual for me, even though I haven't been walking much over the Winter: Average of 4.2mph for 3.16 miles. Got into Z4 for a couple of minutes on a hill, even (mostly Z3, which is high for walking).

I figured on a first walk of Spring, Garmin would ding me in walking "fitness age", especially given that heart rate thing. But no: Fool thing still estimates 20. 🤣🤣🤣

It was delightful. Plus there are Tommie crocus springing up all over my back yard, way out into the lawn, amongst the many remaining snowdrops. 🌞😊
  • dralicephd
    dralicephd Posts: 401 Member
    Joints are feeling ok today, so I mowed the lawn. No, not much of a workout, but it isn't a small lawn and is a hill. So, it certainly helped with NEAT.

It was nice to get outside and enjoy the sunshine (upper 60sF/~19C here today)! Happy first day of Spring! :smile:
  • mrmota70
    mrmota70 Posts: 523 Member
    Drove 6 hrs on Saturday to attend nephews wedding. Got to the hotel and immediately changed and jogged 5 miles on the hotels gym then woke up this morning and before getting on the road and head back I did my usual 30 min. minimum Sunday WO. On both days I sprinted the last 2 mins at 7.5 mph. Surprised myself that both of these jogs felt so easy.
  • Mangoperson88
    Mangoperson88 Posts: 339 Member
    I did a 9 km walk early this morning and a Caroline Girvan chest and triceps video around mid morning but i ruined the day with half a sandwich and a couple of pastries :D
  • UberAya
    UberAya Posts: 94 Member
    Fusion 30 Pop with Paige Howell (Echelon Connect)
    Find me on EchelonFit: @-=V=-
  • MikePfirrman
    Last night was proud of myself. Got my hour of cardio in but had brunch with dear friends and played some board games and just talked. By the time we got back home, it was 8 PM and I still managed to get in a short lift. Not long but enough. For me, sometimes it's more about consistency than obsession.

Today was 6K X 2 again. Got just a bit carried away on the 2nd half and went a bit too hard. Consistently seeing 2:26 pace for "easy" stuff @ 120 DF, an improvement for me on easy days.

Sometimes, pace improvements are more apparent when you're going faster with similar HRs as you were 3 or 4 months prior. Still not very fast (my easy stuff used to be around 2:13/2:14 pace), but seeing steady improvements consistently.

• AnnPT77
    Squeezed in a rowing machine session before a doctor's appointment, 3 x (2k on, 2' off) again, shooting for sub 2:30 on the pieces for duration predictability **: 2:28.5/22spm, 2:27.5/20 spm, 2:27.4/20 spm; about 35:33 and 6,785m overall; only 1:17 in Z4 by a couple of bpm at the end, majority Z3.

** For non-rowers, 2:30 = 10 minutes per 2k, so it's easy arithmetic.

Still working on extending from the shoulders, quick arms-away/body-over out of the finish. I guess that's my main thing this Winter, by default? The extension from the shoulders is not a shoulder strain as long as shoulders are down and upper body connection is in place: Engaged lats take the load from the legs, not the smaller shoulder muscles. The fast arms/body then relax seems to be good for a couple of seconds of split at low energy cost. I'll take it. 😉
  • dralicephd
    Back to my 45 min. elliptical "run". I followed this with my mini-strength training routine, but less reps and sets so I don't irritate the joints. Like @MikePfirrman said, it's more about consistency (and, in my case, avoiding injury).
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    I got an ok from the chiropractor to resume riding, so I took an easy outdoor spin for an hour last night. Strength session this morning, then maybe a hike later. No running quite yet, will give it another week.

Sixteen weeks to race day, so staying healthy is my most important training goal.
  • MikePfirrman
    edited March 2022
    Same interval session from last Tuesday (after supersets in the AM) -- 4 X 2K / 3 rest.

Slight improvement from last week. 2:06.3 pace (from 2:06.6 last week) average. I remember why this is such a hard workout to do every time I do it. 8 minute X 4 is one of the best cardio workouts, though, for improving VO2 max. It just sucks when you're doing it.

Felt pretty controlled throughout. HR only got to around 92% max today.
  • AnnPT77
    edited March 2022
    Same audience-boring routine, stationary bike edition: 10k + 3' CD, easy pace (All but 14" Z3 and below, mostly Z3; average 93W on the 10k.)

@djproulx: Sending wishes for a smooth return to full intensity for you!

Bodies: Hard to live with 'em sometimes, impossible to live without 'em.
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 980 Member
    My logging has been weak. I've been pretty active, though.

Today was a 15 mile walk, followed by deadlifts. I got 130 kgs (which is 2*bodyweight) for 2 sets of 5. Hook grip for the win.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    @MikePfirrman Those 8 minute intervals must have been tough. Most people can hang on pretty effectively during high intensity blocks that are 1-2 minutes, but beyond that, they seem to last a lifetime!! 8 minute blocks allow plenty of suffering time. I'd bet that you'll really notice increased VO2 after a few of those sessions.

Thanks, @Ann - I will be fine as long as I don't forget that I'm not a 20 year old when at the gym. ;)

Did a little more in the pool today. The usual warmups, drills, etc, then 16 x 25 hard with pull buoy w/10s recovery, followed by 16 x 50 hard with PB and 15s recovery. Really got the heart rate up and worked the pulling muscles, while not putting any stress on the legs. 1800 yds total.

Strength session with trainer and tri club ride on Zwift planned for tomorrow.
  • dralicephd
    In news that will shock no one that reads this thread regularly: I used the elliptical. Again. ;)

45 minutes-ish... Split between Zone 2 and 3, with a small dip into Zone 4 (~4 minutes) at the peak of some intervals.

I was going to take it easy today, but changed my mind with some interval training because a relative is coming over tonight with pizza and I wanted some extra calorie room. :smiley:
  • yirara
    Just doing my kettlebell workout again. Getting more intense according to my garmin watch. And while I don't manage to get 'anaerobic' points from running, some part of this workout does register as anaerobic. Cool.
  • AnnPT77
    edited March 2022
    Lazily shortcutting the rowing machine workout at 11:04PM 🙄, 2 x (2500m on, 2' off), pieces at 12:25.6 (2:29.1 pace/23spm/106W) and 12:16.9 (2:27.3/22spm/109W); overall 28:49, 5,557m, about 4' Z4, mostly Z3, some below.