Why am I gaining?!

I have been a yoyo for years. I am 51 years old and need to lose at least 20lbs for health reasons more than just being overweight. A couple weeks ago I started getting serious. I am logging my food, exercise, and getting as much sleep as I am able to (not as much as I should be). I work out (aerobic and weight training) in the morning before work, walk at lunch, and either walk the treadmill or outside in the evenings. The first two weeks I was losing something every day. A couple ounces a pound, something. Yesterday I got up and gained almost a pound and then today another 6 ounces. I know I can't lose every day, but to gain that much in two days almost a pound and a half is scaring me! I measured when I started and only my thighs lost. Nothing else. The more I gain and the less I see change in measurements, the harder I am working. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Bridgie3
    Bridgie3 Posts: 139 Member
    I have been a yoyo for years. I am 51 years old and need to lose at least 20lbs for health reasons more than just being overweight. A couple weeks ago I started getting serious. I am logging my food, exercise, and getting as much sleep as I am able to (not as much as I should be). I work out (aerobic and weight training) in the morning before work, walk at lunch, and either walk the treadmill or outside in the evenings. The first two weeks I was losing something every day. A couple ounces a pound, something. Yesterday I got up and gained almost a pound and then today another 6 ounces. I know I can't lose every day, but to gain that much in two days almost a pound and a half is scaring me! I measured when I started and only my thighs lost. Nothing else. The more I gain and the less I see change in measurements, the harder I am working. Any suggestions?

Take a couple of days off exercise and see if you pee a lot of water weight out. Also; when is/was your period? do you still have them, are they irregular? no need to answer me, just really wondering if you're ready for a tsunami in a week and have been building up to it. :D (I have fibroids, so shark week involves a sou-wester and galoshes).

Also it could be that you have changed your diet to lower carbs but haven't upped the salad and so you have more food sitting in your digestive system right now?

Or perhaps your daily calorie goal is off on its calculations somehow? I imagine you have checked that a few times already tho...

In closing: making sure you have a good quality kitchen scale and you take the time to identify all foods you eat by their own packets, and don't automatically trust the macros entered by members here.
    But again I imagine you have been doing that for decades, so I don't really think it's the most likely reason.

• Thanks! I am in full menopause. So no cycles to monitor. I have salads for lunch or steamed vegetables. I Scan and measure everything. I eat berries in the morning in either cottage cheese or oatmeal. I have a handful of pistachios if I need a snack during the day and I have a protein and veggies for dinner. I am exercising 3 times a day in some capacity. I will keep at it.

I really appreciate the input!
  • Ann P, thank you so much for that link! I just read it and feel like that has been my life! It certainly puts my mind at ease. I will keep at it and hopefully see the fat drop. Again, thank you!!!
  • JustTrackinIt
    JustTrackinIt Posts: 26 Member
    Check your thyroid function as well if you are logging for an extended period of time and counting calories right. As you age you need to check to make sure your thyroid is functioning properly.
  • I do take thyroid meds and get tested every 6 months
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    edited April 2022
    For me weight loss has never been linear it always fluctuates and it can take months. So I keep track of things on a long term trend and don't focus on the scale so much. In general its more about how I am feeling and if my energy levels are higher than before. Also I can see changes in how my clothes fit now compared to a few months ago. Building muscle to replace fat might result slower weight loss but my overall health is better. For me this approach takes the pressure off 1-2lb weight fluctuations that just normally happen. Plus stress will derail my progress and path forward.

In my 40s it took time to lose weight and get in shape and I know as I age I just need to have patience with the process. The last time I went LCHF I dropped ~15lbs rather quickly and then it was ~1-2 lbs over the long haul and I even gain back weight when I started lifting again and after a long plateau I started dropping again and I looked a lot better and had a better state of mind.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Thanks! I am in full menopause. So no cycles to monitor. I have salads for lunch or steamed vegetables. I Scan and measure everything. I eat berries in the morning in either cottage cheese or oatmeal. I have a handful of pistachios if I need a snack during the day and I have a protein and veggies for dinner. I am exercising 3 times a day in some capacity. I will keep at it.

You may not have cycles, but you still have hormones (even if you're not on HRT). And their impact may be more sporadic.

Double check the scanned entries. I find LOTS of errors when I scan barcodes. The scans are only as good as the last update which might not have been for a while.

And be sure to weigh the "handful" of pistachios. Nuts are really calorie dense.
  • anneg50
    anneg50 Posts: 16 Member
    Maybe check a calorie calculator to see if your intake is too high for you. I use healthline.com calculator and stick to a middle number between the lose weight and lose weight fast. Or just see a dietician who can help you set up a plan right for you. Good luck
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    If you’re losing a pound some days, that is not all fat. Some is water weight and it will go up and down.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,883 Member
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    Thanks! I am in full menopause. So no cycles to monitor. I have salads for lunch or steamed vegetables. I Scan and measure everything. I eat berries in the morning in either cottage cheese or oatmeal. I have a handful of pistachios if I need a snack during the day and I have a protein and veggies for dinner. I am exercising 3 times a day in some capacity. I will keep at it.

You may not have cycles, but you still have hormones (even if you're not on HRT). And their impact may be more sporadic.

Double check the scanned entries. I find LOTS of errors when I scan barcodes. The scans are only as good as the last update which might not have been for a while.

And be sure to weigh the "handful" of pistachios. Nuts are really calorie dense.

I was so sad when I got a digital food scale and learned how small 2 T of peanut butter really is :cry:

Here's my standard answer regarding accurate entries:

Unfortunately, the green check marks in the MFP database are used for both USER-created entries and ADMIN-created entries that MFP pulled from the USDA database. A green check mark for USER-created entries just means enough people have upvoted the entry - it is not necessarily correct.

To find ADMIN entries for whole foods, I get the syntax from the USDA database and paste that into MFP. All ADMIN entries from the USDA will have weights as an option BUT there is a glitch whereby sometimes 1g is the option but the values are actually for 100g. This is pretty easy to spot though, as when added the calories are 100x more than is reasonable.

https://fdc.nal.usda.gov

Use the “SR Legacy” tab - that seems to be what MFP used to pull in entries.

Note: any MFP entry that includes "USDA" was USER entered.

For packaged foods, I verify the label against what I find in MFP. (Alas, you cannot just scan with your phone and assume what you get is correct.)
  • Pipsqueak1965
    Pipsqueak1965 Posts: 397 Member
    Anne is correct - 2 weeks is absolutely no time at all! Weight is affected by many factors, fat being only one of them. Keep to a sensible deficit over a few months and your weight will gradually trend down x
  • I'm still at it. Just over a month now. Scale is stalled. Have only lost about an inch around my waistline. Going to continue as I guess even some small progress is better than no progress. Thank you everyone for your comments!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,540 Member
    edited April 2022
    My first comment is that you should use your one time name change option and privatize your account a little bit 🙀

My second question is are you using a weight trend application and how often are you feeding it data?

My first comment is that depending on your starting point 1in is far from insignificant.

My second comment is that depending on your answers we will have a better picture of what may be taking place!