What Was Your Work Out Today?

Replies

• drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 972 Member
    I went climbing yesterday. It started off really badly; I fell off everything. Then suddenly (and unexpectedly), I improved and I sent nearly everything. In retrospect, maybe I should have warmed up for more than 5 minutes.

I went into the office, which is only my second time in since lockdown. I had to rely on public transport to get get around, and by the time I left the gym (at 10 p.m., when it shut), the trains had broken. So I ended up getting home just before midnight for what should have been a 20 minute journey. The upside is my revised route home had a lot of walking - I got around 14 miles in total throughout the day.
  • Mangoperson88
    Mangoperson88 Posts: 339 Member
    I walked 8 kms today. I was really exhausted so couldn't do 10 kms. Well i still got two days to do that.
  • Mangoperson88
    If i wish to then I shall do a strength training video later in the evening
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited March 2022
    13K on the rower. Easy-ish paces. Missed yesterday's steady state workout -- getting a Passport for a trip later in the year overseas.

It was 80 today at lunch and supposed to be warmer tomorrow and next week. Really need to temper my expectations of pace improvements with the heat and just go by HR and form. It's all you can do. Summers are brutal here and I still keep the rower outside. The Swamp Cooler might take the edge off and make it feel (only, LOL) 95 or 96, but that's still brutal as anything.

I also have to always keep in mind I'm at nearly a mile (roughly 4500 ft) up in elevation as well on top of that.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Trainer session this morning. 8 minute rounds of two paired movements (one upper body, one lower body) then a short cardio blast on assault bike, skier, sled, etc. Felt pretty good.
    Did a 70 minute club ride on Zwift tonight. Commiserating on Discord app during climbs helped to pass the time.

Its supposed to be 60 degrees here tomorrow afternoon, so I'm going to leave work early to ride outdoors. We have a 40 mile route planned, weather permitting.
  • JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    Home workout

Dumbbell Chest Press
    One arm dumbbell rows
    Dumbbell shoulder press
    Stability ball leg curls
    500m row
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    Another stationary bike day, the usual 10k +3' CD, but a little more slack at just 89W average on the 10k. Overall, 11,062 pseudo-meters in 29:21, Z3 and below.

That followed a super casual 3.26 mile walk (only about 2mph when moving, stop and go, wandering around in the woods, chatting with a friend who was also taking photos, mostly of birds). This one barely got out of Z1 🤣. Despite being non-challenging, the cool weather left me feeling a little sleepy, which may account for the less energetic bike ride . . . but laziness is also a plausible hypothesis. 😉
  • dralicephd
    dralicephd Posts: 401 Member
    honeybee_s wrote: »
    I know this will sound lame, but today was cleaning day. The whole house. New here. Day 1.

It's not lame. It's movement. We all have to start somewhere. Keep it up! :smile:
  • Mangoperson88
    Another 10 km walk this morning. So I've done almost 40 kms this week and my legs are jelly :D so weekend is going to be purely strength training, either upper or full body depending on my legs.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Of all things, my left hand was really hurting last night. Guessing it's from increasing the Drag Factor on the rower and learning guitar at the same time.

Decided to do Assault Bike today and supersets earlier in the AM. Did 12 X 99 seconds/30 seconds rest. Was tougher than I thought it would be. Legs were dead by the last couple of intervals.

Have my day off tomorrow. That should rest the hand enough.
  • dralicephd
    Of all things, my left hand was really hurting last night. Guessing it's from increasing the Drag Factor on the rower and learning guitar at the same time.

I think my shoulder irritation from last month was a combo of trying to increase pushups and learning to play piano. Apparently music and working out requires some careful balancing!

Hope the hand feels better soon. :smile:
  • dralicephd
    My standard 45 minutes on the elliptical. All HR zone 2 and below. I also did my normal mini strength training but had to cut the squats short as my knee was acting weird. No injuries!!
  • JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    Only a 1000 metre row today, which took me just over 5 minutes.
  • mrmota70
    mrmota70 Posts: 523 Member
    edited March 2022
    Went for a casual 10k lunch jog. Had some decent consistent times across the entire jog.

ptucziwp7eo1.jpeg
  • AnnPT77
    Rowing machine, same ol' 3 x (2k on, 2' off/CD). Not excited about it, just decided to try to hold under 2:30 split, letting the rating (spm) fall someplace that wasn't very strength-y. (That's to be knee-sparing, in the context of adding some early-Spring outdoor walks this week: Walking has an edge, for me, need to manage the narrow border between "hurts while I do it" and "causes more damage". I don't think there is a "feels fine" for me, but staying conditioned to some few-miles walking is important to my overall quality of life.)

So, 6,762m rowed overall (with the CD and row in/out) in about 35:41. Mostly Z3 (24'), about 5' at the end in the lower half of Z4, remainder below; peak HR at 75% reserve, 83% max.

2k pieces at:
    9:55.7, 2:28.9 pace, 23spm, 106W.
    9:51.6, 2:27.9 pace, 22spm, 108W.
    9:49.3, 2:27.3 pace, 20spm, 109W.

I don't much mess with the DF, last I checked it was . . . can't recall exactly . . . somewhere between 100 and 110? I just try to make it feel "boat-y", for my commonest boats.

It's still episodically pretty cold here, not to mention rainy, windy, and sometimes snowy . . . but I'm getting pretty out of patience with this indoor workout stuff, TBH.
    dralicephd wrote: »

I think my shoulder irritation from last month was a combo of trying to increase pushups and learning to play piano. Apparently music and working out requires some careful balancing!

Hope the hand feels better soon. :smile:

That's alarming . . . so far, I haven't had any cross-injuries between rowing and banjo playing. Maybe the secret is to be truly awful at the musical instrument part? 😉😆

I won't try to convince either of you to try s*cking at music, though . . . and I hope you're able to find a happy solution, plus speedy resolution of any acute issues!
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    We believed the weather hype and three of us got outdoors for a first training type effort today. The conditions turned quite a bit cooler and windier than expected, but we squeezed in 38 miles before dark. Nothing crazy for intensity, since I did both strength and indoor riding yesterday. My legs felt fresh once I got warmed up. We averaged 15.8mph and got in just over 2k in climbing while remaining conversational during the ride.

I'm very happy to be back on the bike. My fitness isn't perfect, but I was fairly pleased with my climbing improvements due to weight loss so far this spring. The climbing should continue to improve with more outdoor miles and losing the remaining off-season weight.
  • dralicephd
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    That's alarming . . . so far, I haven't had any cross-injuries between rowing and banjo playing. Maybe the secret is to be truly awful at the musical instrument part? 😉😆

I won't try to convince either of you to try s*cking at music, though . . .

I never said I was GOOD. I just try really hard! (Clearly, a little too hard.) :D
  • Mangoperson88
    https://youtu.be/pY4MAI6oHZA

Arm day by Caroline Girvan
  • AnnPT77
    Stationary bike, of course, 10k + 3' CD. On the bike, I just set off, get myself above 75-80W, then settle in wherever it feels good that day . . . and play games on my phone as a distraction. Or should I say, stay seated in aero position? That sounds better than "hunched over my phone playing games" . . . 😉.

Today, apparently I failed to hit the start button on my Garmin, so no details. Bike said 103W on the 10k piece, which took 28:19 overall including the CD, and accumulated 11,091 pseudo-meters. HR seems to have peaked at around 75% reserve and 83% max, based on what Garmin saw without a workout started . . . but it might have gone a little higher (from past experience), dunno.

Tomorrow's a rest day, which might be good. Left ankle is a little wonky for some reason, maybe hyperextended at some point doing I dunno what? I did raise my bike-seat height by one click, but I don't think the ankle thing is that. Hoping the rest day will take care of it, whatever the trigger.