Weight No More Team Chat - MARCH 2022

Replies

• sherry9999
    sherry9999 Posts: 30 Member
    weigh in day: Friday
    SW: 184.6
    PW 181.9
    CW 182

I have to get my mindset back in order. Going the wrong way I know.
  • bumpbreakcar
    bumpbreakcar Posts: 191 Member
    Bumpbreakcar
    Weigh In Day: Thursday, weighing in late ... sorry!
    PW (Previous Weight):144.6 (March 17)
    CW (Current Weight): 143.5 (March 25) Friday
  • minstrelofsarcasm
    minstrelofsarcasm Posts: 2,157 Member
    ~ Some Mathematical Insight ~

Hi folks! Happy Friday!

My gym uses an InBody scanner to track progress and provide us with a set of numbers to base our fitness on outside of standard weight measurements. This morning, I did my end-of-challenge scan (the challenge started about eight weeks ago), and I'd like to share some of my numbers just to give you an idea of how weight alone is a bad measurement of your fitness.

My start-of-challenge scan was on January 21st, 2022:

Intercellular Water: 56.2 lbs (this is the water stored IN my cells)
    Extracellular Water: 33.5 lbs (this is the water stored outside of my cells, good measure of hydration)
    Muscle Mass: 68.8 lbs (skeletal muscle mass includes bone and water stored in muscles)
    Body Fat Mass: 50.8 lbs (All fat. Good and bad. All colors. All varieties)

Overall Weight: 174.2 lbs (early in the morning, after drinking at least 16oz water, wearing clothes)
    Lean Body Weight: 123.5 lbs (Lean = Overall - Body Fat)

BMI: 27.3 kg/m3
    Body Fat: 29.1%

My end-of-challenge scan was today:

Intercellular Water: 58.2 lbs (numerical proof of water retention!)
    Extracellular Water: 35.1 lbs (#hydratebeforeyoudiedrate)
    Muscle Mass: 71.4 lbs (2.6 lb muscle gained in two months!)
    Body Fat Mass: 48.1 lbs (2.7 lb fat lost!)

Overall Weight: 176.4 lbs (early in the morning, after 16+ oz water, wearing clothes)
    Lean Body Weight: 128.3 lbs (higher than previous scan because of additional muscle and water retention)

BMI: 27.6 (higher because my WEIGHT is higher and my height has not changed)
    Body Fat: 27.2% (lower because my body lost fat and gained muscle)

There are a bunch of other numbers on my results sheet, but I figured these would be of the most interest.

Q&A:
    • Did I gain weight? Yes.
    • Did my BMI increase? Yes.
    • Is this increase from fat? No.
    • Is this a "good" increase? I think so!
    • Should BMI ever be used as a sole indication of health? Absolutely not. No. Just no.
    • Is weight a better indicator? No. There's a million factors that go into our weight at any given time.
    • Where can I find more info about BMI? I wrote something! It's write (heh) here!
    • What about water retention? Try this one!
    • Do you have any others? Ask and I'll do my best to answer!

Moral of the Story:

Too much emphasis is put on weight. I am fluctuating back and forth in my overall weight, but the rest of my numbers are moving in the right direction, and that was an incredible relief this morning, when I've spent quite a bit of this month stressing about my weight and not paying enough attention to anything else.
  • seltzer_lover
    seltzer_lover Posts: 261 Member
    Do you go to OTF @minstrelofsarcasm ?? We're wrapping up our Transformation Challenge with InBody scans this week, too!

Congrats on putting on some good muscle!
  • minstrelofsarcasm
    Do you go to OTF @minstrelofsarcasm ?? We're wrapping up our Transformation Challenge with InBody scans this week, too!

Nope! Used to have an OTF membership before I left for France in 2019. Now I go to F45 and really enjoy it! (although my home location is temporarily shutting down soon, so I have to make a couple decisions)
  • seltzer_lover
    seltzer_lover Posts: 261 Member

Nope! Used to have an OTF membership before I left for France in 2019. Now I go to F45 and really enjoy it! (although my home location is temporarily shutting down soon, so I have to make a couple decisions)

Gotcha - there's not an F45 in my area to check them out, unfortunately. But I really love my orange family. I have my InBody scan this weekend, so I'm hoping for some decent fat loss and muscle gains. I like what you said about looking at the bigger picture and not just the number on the scale.
  • ljdanny
    ljdanny Posts: 2,053 Member
    Ljdanny
    Thursday
    Pw 188.6
    Cw 187.2
  • TwinMama91521
    TwinMama91521 Posts: 47 Member
    TwinMama91521
    Friday
    PW: 145.8
    CW: 144.4
  • MotylekOkruchy
    MotylekOkruchy Posts: 196 Member
    MotylekOkruchy

Fridays

PW: 134.4
    CW: 139.4

Have I gained 5 pounds in a week? No.
    It's Spring Break week, filled with a lot of out of ordinary events, some joyful, some stressful. Most of them resulting in temporary "gain". I am sorry to screw up the team's overall results for this week but promise to make up for it next week.
  • rachelrjh
    rachelrjh Posts: 258 Member
    Rachelrjh
    Weigh in Friday
    Pw: 133.5
    Cw: 134

I’d like to do an In-Body scan. I’ll have to look for one in my area.
  • dbrinkmeyer
    dbrinkmeyer Posts: 94 Member
    dbrinkmeyer
    Fridays
    PW: 186.4
    CW: 186.4

:( Stalled out on my losses. Have been traveling and not getting outside. Committed to changing that this week as we go into better Spring weather.
  • melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,290 Member
    Melaniedscott
    PW: ?
    CW: 223.4

Pretty sure this is higher, likely some from water. I've been a salt fiend the past couple days. Having trouble keeping my brain on track and I've concluded some of it is stress affecting my GERD. I used to do 2-3 rounds of prilosec a year but since I changed jobs, I have not needed any. My vertigo issues, family stuff, and some wotk stuff have, I think, caused it to flare. What makes me think that? My stomach is at a low level ache all the time (which, I keep interpreting as hungry, and eat, which does not help), gas, bloating, obvious reflux several times a week. So...a round of prilosec is in order, starting today.
  • jessicakrall8
    jessicakrall8 Posts: 5,007 Member
    You asked, I heard you...and thus our Week 5 Group Challenge was born...join us this week as we awaken all the senses and take care of ourselves. Here's your link:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10859980/march-week-5-group-challenge-taking-care-of-me#latest

Hope to see you there!
    Jessica :blush:
  • pacsnc6
    pacsnc6 Posts: 978 Member
    @minstrelofsarcasm I'm ready to come back to the group. My weight this morning is 154.7 and I think that would be a good starting point. I will weigh in on Thursdays.
  • minstrelofsarcasm
    pacsnc6 wrote: »
    @minstrelofsarcasm I'm ready to come back to the group. My weight this morning is 154.7 and I think that would be a good starting point. I will weigh in on Thursdays.

@pacsnc6 - Sounds great! I'll have you officially added back for April, but feel free to weigh in next week if you want! Glad to have you back :)
  • minstrelofsarcasm
    n1bx52w74edw.png

b50144nqbme7.png
    678jqt7qcfxh.png

Leaderboardgraphic.png

Team Results
    By Percentage
    g8yfo7t7vqer.png

By Pounds
    7or9vp77stke.png

Individual Results
    By Percentage
    te6i128b7ei9.png

By Pounds
    fe97d283csca.png
    wnmkyd8ivggz.png

Find Additional Statistics Here

Team Winners
    qbth9n79a134.png
    jurs4me4nead.png
    vnt1cd7qf373.png
    iq3dmtbhy7wi.png
    myc9bkwxz0zs.png

• IDebraK
    IDebraK Posts: 139 Member
    I'm late to weigh in again. High winds yesterday left us with connectivity issues. All is resolved. I couldn't do much on the internet or watch tv, so I got my granddaughter (7 months old), and we played.

Here goes weigh in
    IDebraK
    Supposed to be: Saturday
    PW: 123.4
    CW: 122

Goal Weight: 122
    Goal Zone: 118-126

STEPS:
    Sat: 8177
    Sun: 1983
    Mon: 15299
    Tues: 17336
    Wed: 18192
    Thurs: 13111
    Fri: 10052
  • CassieGetsFit2013
    CassieGetsFit2013 Posts: 570 Member
    Username: CassieGetsFit2013
    Weigh In Day: Sunday
    PW (Previous Weight): 230
    CW (Current Weight): 229.4

Well, I guess I'll take that. I'm on my period so any kind of a loss and no big gain, is good for me! Hopefully next weigh in, I'll see a bigger loss. My BP has been high for the past 3 days, like it won't come down. I'm not on any medication for it right now because my Dr's. Are trying to see how much my anxiety is related to my Hypertension. Well, for the past 4 days, I've taken it morning and night and my HR HASN'T been elevated, but ny BP has been high! My hands are staying puffy and tight, my feet and ankles a little too and I can feel it in my face, mostly cheeks feel puffy and are lightly flushed. I don't think I've evet went where it stayed high for such a long period. I'm worried I'm gonna have a stroke or heart attack. On another note, I started drinking decaffeinated green tea about a week ago and then my Mom tells me that it still has a little caffeine in it, so I'm wondering is it the decaffeinated green tea that's raising my BP or having any other bad effects on me than the good stuff? Cause I thought it was gonna be helpful, not harmful! What do you guys think?? I see my Dr. Wednesday, should I just wait til then about my high BP or go to the Hospital? Like, it's not going higher and higher, just leveling out and staying around 149/103 for 3-4 days now.

• melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,290 Member
    edited March 2022
    Username: CassieGetsFit2013
    Weigh In Day: Sunday
    PW (Previous Weight): 230
    CW (Current Weight): 229.4

Yay! Congrats.
    My BP has been high for the past 3 days, like it won't come down. I'm not on any medication for it right now because my Dr's. Are trying to see how much my anxiety is related to my Hypertension. Well, for the past 4 days, I've taken it morning and night and my HR HASN'T been elevated, but ny BP has been high!

If you have been taking the meds and it is still that high...that's a concern. I don't know that it is a go to the ER concern.
    I'm worried I'm gonna have a stroke or heart attack. ...I see my Dr. Wednesday, should I just wait til then about my high BP or go to the Hospital? Like, it's not going higher and higher, just leveling out and staying around 149/103 " 3-4 days now.

Def call the doc first thing today. I wouldn't stress about heart attack/stroke just yet. Partially because that (stressing) can raise BP and partially because those conditions usually happen at much higher BP.
    On another note, I started drinking decaffeinated green tea about a week ago and then my Mom tells me that it still has a little caffeine in it, so I'm wondering is it the decaffeinated green tea that's raising my BP or having any other bad effects on me than the good stuff?

I've never seen green tea raise BP that much, though some people are sensitive to the processes they use to decaffinate. Not sure what that sensitivity looks like. Have you tried meditation at all? It can help some. There are even apps now. Which I find weird as tech generally raises my BP.

Sodium levels are more likely to cause BP increases...have you looked at salt intake? You'd be surprised how much soduim is ineverything! I need to work on reducing mine but it is challenging, as I am, I've mentioned before, a salt fiend. But there are other things that can influence, too. OTC pain meds, decongestants, birth control, potassium deficency (this one can wreak true havock--my great gran had trouble with this.. boy, the stories!), kidney problems, sleep apnea.

The good news is physical activity can help--maybe take a couple walks during the day (15-20 mins)? Listen to quiet music...I love The Piano Guys or Enya when I need calm (to balance the White Zombie days).
This discussion has been closed.