Coronavirus prep

Replies

• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    am I a lone wolf? I like being back in the office. I only stay remote when Covid is spiking. When I saw it dropping again I went back in mid Feb. If it spikes up again I will go remote. The flexibility is important to me. Of course I have a very short commute also.

I'd like to go back, only downside is I have a 80 mile RT commute and my SUV gets 20 MPG so a bit pricey.
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,846 Member
    am I a lone wolf? I like being back in the office. I only stay remote when Covid is spiking. When I saw it dropping again I went back in mid Feb. If it spikes up again I will go remote. The flexibility is important to me. Of course I have a very short commute also.

Hubby and I have been retired for a long time, but, of the next gen, DD is happy to have the office available to her again, though she also appreciates the flexility of location that has come about. For instance, they are flying to us in Florida in a week, so she is doing work from home this week to lessen the likelihood getting sick and missing this trip she has hoped to do since before COVID. For the guys, both are software, DS found work at home less distracting since people were always coming by his desk with questions. DSIL works a lot over zoom and Skype. Two of his team even live in Ukraine. So I doubt a business office differs much from his home office.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    SModa61 wrote: »
    @kimny72 I agree about long covid not being worth the risk.

On the topic of tremors, for about the past two months, for random stretches in the day, I get twitching in the area of my eyes. Only one area at a time. I have felt twitching like this randomly in my life, but not with such frequency. I believe that it is not visible (I really should look in the mirror.) I am curious about the why now. My imagination comes up with booster shot, or my cold from hell that my pcp feels was COVID despite 5 family tests all coming out negative. But both of those events were in the first weeks of December. Anyhow, it is likely just life at 60. We'll see if they continue.

I had "post viral syndrome" starting in 2020 and had the eye twitch for 8 + months, it was so annoying. (I also had daily headaches, crushing fatigue and facial pain.) Supposedly not from Covid, but it seems really similar to what people call "long covid" so who knows, maybe my test was a false negative.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited March 2022
    am I a lone wolf? I like being back in the office.

I also much prefer to work from the office and mostly do so. Having some flexibility is nice also, though.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    33gail33 wrote: »
    So the last few weeks I realized a pattern where I smell a smokey smell randomly. Started to worry me so I mentioned it to my husband and he has been experiencing he same thing - since he had Covid in December. Except I never had Covid - tested negative multiple times.

It is so weird to me that I suspect I might have been infected twice now (per my post above - which quoted weird and was supposed to be in response to someone). I was surprised that I didn't get Omicron when my husband had it in December, now I am wondering if I actually did have an asymptomatic case - but then why do I always test negative?

The test is not infallible.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member

Hubby and I have been retired for a long time, but, of the next gen, DD is happy to have the office available to her again, though she also appreciates the flexility of location that has come about. For instance, they are flying to us in Florida in a week, so she is doing work from home this week to lessen the likelihood getting sick and missing this trip she has hoped to do since before COVID. For the guys, both are software, DS found work at home less distracting since people were always coming by his desk with questions. DSIL works a lot over zoom and Skype. Two of his team even live in Ukraine. So I doubt a business office differs much from his home office.

Don't they have some instant messaging app? To me having those pop up every 5 minutes is much more distracting than someone walking up. So many people are sort of lazy, they won't walk 100 ft to talk to someone but will IM for things they wouldn't bother moving for.
  • SModa61
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »

Don't they have some instant messaging app? To me having those pop up every 5 minutes is much more distracting than someone walking up. So many people are sort of lazy, they won't walk 100 ft to talk to someone but will IM for things they wouldn't bother moving for.

I have no idea what system(s) was/were available at his company. He is employee #6 at a software startup, so he tends to know about lots of aspect of the code. When someone is trying to figure something out, he is more accessible than the founders. And the questions are not typically those quick answers that are easy by text.
  • SModa61
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Yes, I worked with a contractor in Ukraine for 12 years. We kept in touch after I lost that job and especially now. He's from Kharkiv and fled with his family the day of the invasion. They made it safely to Poland and are now in Germany. So in addition to the regular news, I've been getting news from a refugee I know personally. Another contractor was originally in Ukraine but last year married a Russian woman and moved there. Russia and Ukraine are so interconnected...it would be like the US invading Canada...

It is all so complicated and devastating. The staff working with DSIL are also contractors and young men that did not exit early on. It quickly became women and children only. One headed to family near Poland and the other had family more south. I think they were both originally Kharkiv.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,959 Member
    So the last few weeks I realized a pattern where I smell a smokey smell randomly. Started to worry me so I mentioned it to my husband and he has been experiencing he same thing - since he had Covid in December. Except I never had Covid - tested negative multiple times.

It is so weird to me that I suspect I might have been infected twice now (per my post above - which quoted weird and was supposed to be in response to someone). I was surprised that I didn't get Omicron when my husband had it in December, now I am wondering if I actually did have an asymptomatic case - but then why do I always test negative?

Maybe don't discount the possibility that the smoky smell is real? Is this just happening in your home, or do you two smell it other places as well? Maybe you have an electrical short somewhere?

Over a period of about six months, I smelled natural gas (well, the stuff the gas company adds to natural gas to give it a smell) at the same street-side corner of my lot maybe half a dozen times, but every time it happened, the smell disappeared immediately, and even though I walked back and forth like a hound trying to reacquire the scent, I never could. I thought it was all in my head -- something about that spot that was triggering the memory of the natural gas additive smell -- until one day a guy from the gas company was out in the street in front of my house walking back and forth with a device that detects gas leaks. It turned out there was a leak in the underground pipe going to my neighbor's house, and I guess I smelled it when just the right breeze would waft it my way before it got too diffuse.

It happens everywhere, not just the house. Actually thought it was my car at first because that is the first place I noticed it.

OK, I got nothing then. Best of luck. I hope at least it's a good smoky smell, like ribs or brisket. :smile:
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    US public health authorities (CDC and FDA) approved 4th mRNA shots for those vulnerable and 50+. They said data is limited but sufficient to conclude benefits outweigh risks.

It's hard to set aside the problem of some places on the planet having a 2% vaccination rate. It's an obvious breeding ground for more serious and/or vaccine evasive variants. It's also an ethical problem. But I can't so anything about either of those except lament so setting that aside....

I had a brief correspondence with my GP (who responds to email questions in 20 minutes- it's great) about the optimal timing for a 4th shot. I timed my 3rd for the antibody flood to coincide with xmas and daughters' return home. One DD had covid while she was here and our boosters did their job! So I'm technically eligible for a 4th in early April. I'm wondering if I should time the 4th shot for the antibody response to coincide with Easter, family visiting from many places (lots of vectors), and the omicron BA.2 wave. Or wait and "save" the 4th shot for a more severe variant or, possibly, a new vaccine formulation with better T/B-cell training characteristics than a 4th shot of the same (limited data shows limited improvement). Also limited data suggests waiting a year between boosters prompts a more robust immune response than waiting a few months.

My GP responded there just isn't enough data to weigh the tradeoff. There is thought to be an incremental benefit to a 4th (in addition to the antibody response), but it's nothing like the 3rd. Before the FDA/CDC announcement he said he thinks I'm still well protected from my December shot. After the announcement he said "it's reasonable" to get another one in April.

How are others thinking about this?

• 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited March 2022

Maybe don't discount the possibility that the smoky smell is real? Is this just happening in your home, or do you two smell it other places as well? Maybe you have an electrical short somewhere?

Over a period of about six months, I smelled natural gas (well, the stuff the gas company adds to natural gas to give it a smell) at the same street-side corner of my lot maybe half a dozen times, but every time it happened, the smell disappeared immediately, and even though I walked back and forth like a hound trying to reacquire the scent, I never could. I thought it was all in my head -- something about that spot that was triggering the memory of the natural gas additive smell -- until one day a guy from the gas company was out in the street in front of my house walking back and forth with a device that detects gas leaks. It turned out there was a leak in the underground pipe going to my neighbor's house, and I guess I smelled it when just the right breeze would waft it my way before it got too diffuse.

It happens everywhere, not just the house. Actually thought it was my car at first because that is the first place I noticed it.

OK, I got nothing then. Best of luck. I hope at least it's a good smoky smell, like ribs or brisket. :smile:

Lol - I'm vegetarian. :smiley: But it's not horrible or anything, just like someone left a bagel in the toaster too long or something.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member

Lol - I'm vegetarian. :smiley: But it's not horrible or anything, just like someone left a bagel in the toaster too long or something.

Smoked tofu? Smoked (vegetable rennet) cheese? Wood-grilled veggies? 😉

Seriously: I'm sorry you're going through that. It's annoying.