Less Alcohol ~ ☘MARCH 2022 ~ One Day At A Time

Replies

• globalhiker
    globalhiker Posts: 1,511 Member
    2 fizzy mini- brut rose wines last night. Not worth it. Today will be AF so I can feel great Sunday morning for a long-ish run.

@Lilylady3k, I used to live in Spain and my best friend lives there. She just cycled through all of northern Spain and I can ask her which spots she recommends and how to book less expensively. I want to say she loved Cantabria. There's the nearby basque region of France too that I've heard is quite nice from a former British co-worker and under-the-radar so less $$.

I have the Portuguese island of Madeira on my bucket list for an off-season trip, maybe next year.

Out the door I go for a run.
  • Lilylady3k
    Lilylady3k Posts: 3,814 Member
    2 fizzy mini- brut rose wines last night. Not worth it. Today will be AF so I can feel great Sunday morning for a long-ish run.

@Lilylady3k, I used to live in Spain and my best friend lives there. She just cycled through all of northern Spain and I can ask her which spots she recommends and how to book less expensively. I want to say she loved Cantabria. There's the nearby basque region of France too that I've heard is quite nice from a former British co-worker and under-the-radar so less $$.

I have the Portuguese island of Madeira on my bucket list for an off-season trip, maybe next year.

Out the door I go for a run.

Thanks for anything that you can discover regarding advice from friends!
  • globalhiker
    globalhiker Posts: 1,511 Member
    @Lilylady3k, my Spanish friend uses booking.com since there's no booking fee and they have "holiday home" rentals. English is spoken in the cities and in the tourist information centers; in the interior it's good to know basic Spanish. Best to go mid-June to mid-Sept. to avoid the rain. She recommends to stay in the Cantabria region because it's somewhat central. Generally, lodging and rentals will be "basic" compared to southern Spain where higher-end accomodations are more common and plentiful.

She herself does sections of Camino de Santiago and stays in homes like our B&Bs only they include dinner. To save money, one can also only rent a car on days it's needed. Most of the seaside locations are very walkable. Otherwise, lodging is expensive because it's high season and demand is up.

More stuff:

-Santillana del Mar (her favorite) - eat nearby in "Potes" where lunch prices are decent (20 euros)
    -Take tram up to Picos de Europa (must-do)
    -Paleolithic caves and monasteries

-Comillas - recommended, visit palace of Marques de Comillas

-Santander- very nice; where the rich people from Madrid have their seaside lodging

-Basque country - great food

-Bilbao - avoid (very industrial)

-Biarritz - on French side but very close to Spain, very nice, visit mini-palaces

-Pamplona - avoid anytime near July 7 - Running of the Bulls, lodging and restaurants usually full

-Galicia - find albarino wine here, good seafood; but generally a poorer area

• Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    MissMay wrote: »
    LOOK CLOSELY at first you see the romance between the good life and alcohol. BUT this is actually an ad for MOCKTAILS. I love this so much.
    m4ck25rpq4ow.jpg

Yaaaaaassssss

This is what I've been saying for the past few years, businesses need to get on board with the sobriety trend or they'll end up stale.

I was just writing about how I recently skewered a high end restaurant in a world class concert venue for not having *any* mocktail options when I was there a few days ago.

I said something like "get you act together, you're being outclassed by box chain restaurants"
  • Lilylady3k
    Thank you @globalhiker !!!! We've been to Spain a couple of times but not stayed beyond a week to 10 days. Looking forward to an extended visit.

We've been to Barcelona, Madrid and up to the Galicia area (which we both loved). This time I was looking at the Santander or San Sebastián with a few trips into Basque area in Spain and the Bordeaux area in France. We have friends that retired and moved to Aquitaine area of France that we hoped to visit during our stay.

Thank you for the info!
  • dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,515 Member
    @ahoy_m8

I was unfamiliar with the dish that you mentioned, so googled.

OMG, this is what it said:

"Originally, Pozole was made from the human meat of prisoners whose hearts had been ripped out in ritual sacrifice. Thankfully, after the Spanish conquest in the 1500's, cannibalism was banned and the meat in this dish was replaced with pork."
  • dawnbgethealthy
    I am Dawn. My ongoing goal is 16-20 AF days per month. I was a daily drinker when I began on this thread in November of 2018.

Diary style is how I keep track.

Tuesday March 22nd - AF - I am working a split tomorrow at the restaurant, with Foster Grant jobs before that and during my afternoon break. Planning on having a couple of drinks tomorrow night in a nice bubble bath.
    Wednesday March 23rd - 2 drinks. Long work day, it was really nice to get home and into my jammies.
    Thursday March 24 - AF - Super great weather today, went for a nice walk after work. Took a gazillion photos as usual. I will post some. Planned drinks over the weekend. Happy to hit my 16, as usual.
    Friday March 25 - Drinks, had a bunch, but kept them to 1/2 ounce each. Not sure if I will have drinks on Saturday or not.

Rolling total: 16 AF days out of 25 days
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,532 Member
    @ahoy_m8

"Originally, Pozole was made from the human meat of prisoners whose hearts had been ripped out in ritual sacrifice. Thankfully, after the Spanish conquest in the 1500's, cannibalism was banned and the meat in this dish was replaced with pork."

YIKES!!!!!!😳😳😳
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,048 Member
    @ahoy_m8

Omg that’s awful!!! Never heard that!!! It’s an ancho Chile soup with hominy and pork. Good grief!
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,532 Member
    MrsAER wrote: »
    Hi, I'm Anna and after an alcohol free January, I kept February AF on weekdays but March has definitely slipped the wrong way so I am so glad to find a group for some accountability.

Today will be A (Mother's Day) but the end of the month AF. Looking forward to sticking with you for April 😊

Hello and WELCOME @MrsAER. YES that is exactly what I was mentioning earlier this week. The influence of more alcohol can slowly start to creep back up on us. You've come to the right place for support and accountability. Every month I put out a new thread to start fresh, allows those to take a break if they want and encourages new or even past participants to join in again. Low key, no drama and SUPER supportive people on here.

How great you were able to keep your drinks to weekends only for February.
  • Lilylady3k
    Not sure I want to try Pozole now ... hmmm LOL
  • dawnbgethealthy
    Lilylady3k wrote: »
    Not sure I want to try Pozole now ... hmmm LOL

Haha, there are likely lots of historical things that we don't know about.

I thought that you would have known this dish, being such a gourmet. Sounds delicious. Traditional Christmas Eve dinner in Mexico apparently.

I had to Google Hominy too, I had heard the word but have never had it (well, maybe I have in Mexico or somewhere, but didn't know that I was eating it). Nothing ghastly there lol, field corn treated with lye, nixtamalization. Easier to absorb the nutrients from it than regular white corn.

I am getting such an education!

When I first moved out of a big city to a small town, the library was only open 4 hours twice per week. How did we look anything up back then? Encyclopedias?
    Can't lie, I really enjoy having Google at all times : - )

• dawnbgethealthy
    I am Dawn. My ongoing goal is 16-20 AF days per month. I was a daily drinker when I began on this thread in November of 2018.

Diary style is how I keep track.

Tuesday March 22nd - AF - I am working a split tomorrow at the restaurant, with Foster Grant jobs before that and during my afternoon break. Planning on having a couple of drinks tomorrow night in a nice bubble bath.
    Wednesday March 23rd - 2 drinks. Long work day, it was really nice to get home and into my jammies.
    Thursday March 24 - AF - Super great weather today, went for a nice walk after work. Took a gazillion photos as usual. I will post some. Planned drinks over the weekend. Happy to hit my 16, as usual.
    Friday March 25 - Drinks, had a bunch, but kept them to 1/2 ounce each. Not sure if I will have drinks on Saturday or not.
    Saturday March 26 - AF - Walked a hydrocut, watched hockey at night. Could have had drinks, but am still trying to take some weight off, so didn't.

Rolling total: 17 AF days out of 26 days