What is everyone thinking about making for Easter?

ahoy_m8
ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
For those who celebrate Easter, how do you celebrate? Do you have dishes that are family favorites or new things you are going to try?

We downsized to just our nuclear family of 5 when the pandemic first broke out, and then went to my Mom's the next couple years because she is seriously not mobile but she wants it to be at my house this year. Not really sure how many we will have, but the range is 7-10 adults. Just starting to think about what to serve and looking for inspo. TIA!

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,959 Member
    We pretty much always do a ham, with "spring" sides like potato salad, cole slaw, deviled eggs, fruit salad, maybe asparagus or pasta salad with veggies, and rolls. Sometimes a jello "salad" for dessert.
    Except for the ham, pretty much everything can be scaled up or down for the number of people you have.
  • ahoy_m8
    Do you serve the ham warm? We make it seems like dozens of recipes with ham but I’ve never actually served ham as the main thing
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    We do a Greek Easter.

Roasted leg of lamb, roasted potatoes, spanakopita, dolmades, green beans, Greek salad, and a tomato-cinnamon sauce that cooks ALL DAY and goes on almost everything. That sauce is the reason I look forward to Easter.

Of course, my parents don't mind spending all day cooking dinner, but you might not want to do that. :D
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    Do you serve the ham warm? We make it seems like dozens of recipes with ham but I’ve never actually served ham as the main thing

We do ham at Christmas and serve it warm as the main dish. But, it doesn't have to be warm...can be cold or room temp. I'd definitely take it out of the fridge for a while so it's not ice cold.

If you have a Costco, they have excellent spiral sliced hams around Easter.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
    The only Easter foods that interest me will be (hopefully) a good sale on eggs a week or two before and clearance priced candy sales the day after.
  • Idontcareyoupick
    Idontcareyoupick Posts: 2,809 Member
    There's a new cinnamon toast crunch baking mix that I'm going to make and the rest of the menu will be based on how I'm feeling. Maybe risotto and seafood
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    My SIL usually makes this ridiculous cheesy potato casserole with sliced potatoes, sour cream, green olives, probably some onions and seasonings, I don't know what-all kinds of cheese (several). She makes a big casserole of it with bacon for the multitudes, and a super generous smaller casserole dish without the meat, just for funky vegetarian me. It's got like 8 million calories per teaspoon, and I gotta tell you I'm all about eating it. 😋🤣 If there's any left, it goes home with me.

The group thinks the with-bacon version goes nicely with the ham. I can't speak to that.

I usually take cole slaw. My BIL likes it with mayonnaise, so I do that. My not-so-secret ingredient is Granny Smith apples, grated fine, for a little tart sweetness. Shredded cabbage, shredded carrots, grated apple, a little minced onion (sweet onions if available, white or yellow otherwise), a tiny bit of finely minced garlic (they don't like garlic, they claim), just enough mayo to moisten, salt if/as needed.

None of this is radical, obvs.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    We do a Greek Easter.

Roasted leg of lamb, roasted potatoes, spanakopita, dolmades, green beans, Greek salad, and a tomato-cinnamon sauce that cooks ALL DAY and goes on almost everything. That sauce is the reason I look forward to Easter.

Of course, my parents don't mind spending all day cooking dinner, but you might not want to do that. :D

This sounds amazing.

I always do some sort of lamb, although it varies depending on how many people and how fancy I want it, plus potatoes some way, and some sort of spring veg mix, usually. Deviled eggs as an appetizer.
  • ahoy_m8
    I agree that sounds amazing, @SuzySunshine99!