Biryani

Is chicken biryani healthy? Especially when u r trying to lose some weight

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,847 Member
    If you eat such large portions that you are unable to stay within your calorie budget that would make losing weight challenging, but there is nothing unhealthy about chicken biryani, per se.

If you're making it yourself you could reduce calories by reducing the ghee/oil/butter.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Depends. How many calories are you eating and how does it fit into your overall nutrition and macro balance?

No single food is, on its own and in complete isolation, "unhealthy " and will make you fat.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member
    Restaurant/take away Biryani can contain a massive amount of ghee/oil/butter, and thus a lot of calories. If you make it yourself then you know what goes in and how many calories it has. Which reminds me: I finally want to cook biryani again!
  • perryc05
    perryc05 Posts: 206 Member
    Yeah I would say it is more on the calorific side depending on the preparation method. Rice itself is a bit of a slippery slope and I always have to measure the amount I eat -- I just don't get full from it. I would say enjoy the dish but measure its calorific value honestly and just try to fit it into your day.
  • NishaJoyClint
    NishaJoyClint Posts: 4 Member
    You can still lose weight while eating chicken biryani. Just make sure it fits into your daily calorie intake.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    It's fine. It tends to be calorie dense so I would say either mind your portion or just treat it as something special and not an everyday type of thing and move on. "Healthy" requires context...I tend to take a global perspective on my nutrition rather than getting all wrapped up in the minutia of one particular food or one particular meal. I tend to play by the 80/20 rule and look at my overall nutrition at a daily and weekly level...if 80% of what I'm eating is really good nutrition, I have 20% left over for just fun or more nutritionally void choices.

Example...we're ordering pizza tonight as we often do on Fridays at my home...it's not exactly void of nutrition, but it's not a nutritional powerhouse either, and it's calorie dense...but my overall nutrition this week has been pretty on-point, so having some pizza tonight is pretty much nutritionally immaterial when taking a global perspective on my diet. I take the same approach with my evening deserts...having a couple of cookies after dinner doesn't really add much to my nutritional profile...but they are tasty and fun and don't magically undo all of the other nutrition I've taken in for the day. There is no extra credit for more broccoli.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Not healthy if you are the chicken ;) but can be part of an overall healthy diet for humans.