Protein amount for my macros

I am doing the 50-30-20 macros, but I do not understand how much protein to take; myfitnesspal suggests a minimum amount of 60grams, but I go to the gym M-F. So, what's a good amount?

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Percentages can an awful way to set a protein goal as they are heavily influenced by the size of your food allowance.
    And as you have selected the minimum calorie goal this app will set for you (1200 + exercise calories) it makes it an even worse way to set a pretty important goal. For the other end of the spectrum when I'm eating 4000+ calories that 20% would be rather more than required.

Better to set a minimum goal in grams.
    My preference when losing weight was 1g of protein per pound of estimated lean mass as a minimum goal.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member
    You can change the macros any way you like. If the standard doesn't work for you because you're left hungry or grumpy then change them. Some people say that fats and proteins are considered minimums to get sufficient nutrition. Agree, but ask someone who thrives on carbs (anyone called for me? :D ). Also, you're supposed to log your exercise and eat back the extra calories you get. That will also add to your total protein. However, the exercise database is probably not always fit for purpose and exaggerates a bit. Why not start with eating back 3/4 of those exercise calories, observe for a month how your weightloss is going and then eat more or less.
  • silexelix
    silexelix Posts: 7 Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    Percentages can an awful way to set a protein goal as they are heavily influenced by the size of your food allowance.
    And as you have selected the minimum calorie goal this app will set for you (1200 + exercise calories) it makes it an even worse way to set a pretty important goal. For the other end of the spectrum when I'm eating 4000+ calories that 20% would be rather more than required.

Better to set a minimum goal in grams.
    My preference when losing weight was 1g of protein per pound of estimated lean mass as a minimum goal.

How do I know then the amount of estimated lean mass? My BMI is estiamated at 22.3 and Body Fat is at 25.1
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    @silexelix Lean mass is everything left after body fat is removed, so it’s 100%-body fat. For you that’d be 100%-25.1%, or about 75% lean mass.

To calculate your individual lean mass (at this point in time) multiply your weight in pounds by 0.75. That would give you your approximate pounds of lean body weight.

In the future, as your weight and body fat percentage changes, your lean mass will change too. You might have to recalculate your BF% and recalculate.
  • sijomial
    Precision not required!

The post above gives you the maths to get a perfectly reasonable estimate.
  • silexelix
    silexelix Posts: 7 Member
    Cheesy567 wrote: »
    @silexelix Lean mass is everything left after body fat is removed, so it’s 100%-body fat. For you that’d be 100%-25.1%, or about 75% lean mass.

To calculate your individual lean mass (at this point in time) multiply your weight in pounds by 0.75. That would give you your approximate pounds of lean body weight.

In the future, as your weight and body fat percentage changes, your lean mass will change too. You might have to recalculate your BF% and recalculate.

so I am 120lbs and I am 5'3", so if I multiply I get 90. Is 90 my lean mass or the grams I have to put in daily in terms of protein? I'm getting mixed information.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    silexelix wrote: »
    Cheesy567 wrote: »

so I am 120lbs and I am 5'3", so if I multiply I get 90. Is 90 my lean mass or the grams I have to put in daily in terms of protein? I'm getting mixed information.

It is your lean mass AND it is the suggested number of grams of protein, if you're using the "1 gram per pound of lean body mass" rule of thumb.
  • RockingWithLJ
    RockingWithLJ Posts: 243 Member
    edited April 2022
    It depends on your goal and your weight. .3-.7 grams per pound, higher if youre weight training, lower if youre not. It is simplier then whatever calculus formula the dude above me is giving people
  • sijomial
    It depends on your goal and your weight. .3-.7 grams per pound, higher if youre weight training, lower if youre not. It is simplier then whatever calculus formula the dude above me is giving people

Poor advice.
    Avoiding nutritional deficiency and optimising intake (or approaching optimal levels) while training and dieting are two very different things.
  • jasbabyp
    jasbabyp Posts: 3 Member
    I recently switched to macro tracking (and loving it). I found using the IIFYM calculator was good in determining ratios as it takes into consideration your weight lifting/cardio, estimated fat percentage, age, height and daily activity level. If you google it I believe its the first thing to come up -iifym.com

Of course it is a guide only however it is similar to what my nutrition coach had me eating in terms if calorie amount.

Best of luck with your journey 😊
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    Here's a reputable protein calculator:

https://examine.com/nutrition/protein-intake-calculator/

I shoot for 400 - 500 calories of exercise per day, and when I achieve that, using the MFP default of 20% protein aligns with the protein recommendation from examine. If I were completely sedentary, I'd need to bump it up to 30%.