Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Public vs private food diaries on MFP

RockingWithLJ
RockingWithLJ Posts: 243 Member
I would like to know what your food diary is set to. Tell us if you have your setting to public, shared with friends or private, and why.

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    Another thing is that I eat basically the same things each day with only slight variations. I can pre-log my week days weeks in advance with what I eat between 11:30 am (when I start eating) and 6 pm (just before dinner) because 90% of the time, it will be the same. Dinner may vary slightly.

I'm pretty sure that wouldn't inspire anyone but it works for me.

And pre-logging my food, for my own personal viewing helps me determine if I've got room to add something if I'm feeling hungry one evening, or not.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,571 Member
    A little of what everyone else said along with, while I'm pretty open about saying/typing the words of what I eat, people would probably have heart attacks actually seeing it logged. :)

I don't think I've ever looked at someone else's diary unless they asked people to look at it.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,571 Member
    I guess I'll go first. I have mine set to share with friends. I also prefer to have friends who have it set to share. I do this because I want to inspire people by what I eat and the activities that I do. I also like to see them so I'm inspired to eat certain things or try new activities. I don't understand the point of a private diary

I have mine set to private
    I don't care about the "friend" feature here on this site. I interact in the forums, but the few "friends" I do have I don't interact with outside the forums, other than a couple people I talk to in private messages. I don't even look at the Home page newsfeed. I lost all my weight (80-ish pounds) in 2007 and I've kept it off without sharing my food diary. Heck, I don't even discuss weight or food with people in real life. I learned that lesson! :lol:
    I don't really believe that having my food and/or exercise diary public would "inspire" anyone, and any feedback anyone offered would not be something I'd like.
    I don't understand the point of a public diary.
    To each their own, I guess.

I agree with you. The idea of "inspiring" people by the way you eat just seems......well,.....a little,......

But, you inspire me to eat more pizza and pasta. ;)

I...cannot...moderate...pasta.

Or else I'd move to Italy.

Or, at least, visit. 😀
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,311 Member
    I've had my diary open for 9 years. When I joined MFP your food diary was automatically public, then they changed it to automatically private. I don't care one way or another. Very few have ever commented because my diary is in Italian with Italian products and imagine very few know what I'm eating. Since I live in Italy, we follow the Mediterranean diet as most do here. I eat pasta, pizza, risotto, fruits and vegetables, legumes, and EVOO is our main fat. Carbs are an important part of the diet. Love the "carbs are evil threads".

I kind of feel like I want to actively dislike you now. I LOVE Italian food! I am so jealous you live there! Had the best ever pizza in Sorrento a few years ago, it was just amazing. And, strangely for me, cheeseless. I love making risotto - obviously nowhere near as good as the authentic dish, but it’s so soothing to make.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,366 Member
    I have mine set to private as I use MFP to ensure I eat the right foods to fuel my sport. I totally understand the benefit of motivation, but I’m not trying to lose weight or inspire others - I’m just trying to make sure I eat enough protein and don’t exist solely on fruit and chocolate (which I would totally do, with some cheese).

^^ this

The only people who would potentially be "inspired" by my diary are other high protein, sodium-restricted pescetarians who live in Canada (because I tend to use a lot of products that are exclusive to a Canadian grocery chain) and aren't trying to lose weight.

I haven't added a ton of friends on here and most of us are middle-aged-ish women who are more interested in one another's workouts than eating habits.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,311 Member
    I've had my diary open for 9 years. When I joined MFP your food diary was automatically public, then they changed it to automatically private. I don't care one way or another. Very few have ever commented because my diary is in Italian with Italian products and imagine very few know what I'm eating. Since I live in Italy, we follow the Mediterranean diet as most do here. I eat pasta, pizza, risotto, fruits and vegetables, legumes, and EVOO is our main fat. Carbs are an important part of the diet. Love the "carbs are evil threads".

I kind of feel like I want to actively dislike you now. I LOVE Italian food! I am so jealous you live there! Had the best ever pizza in Sorrento a few years ago, it was just amazing. And, strangely for me, cheeseless. I love making risotto - obviously nowhere near as good as the authentic dish, but it’s so soothing to make.

If you like risotto--yesterday I made a family favorite that was my MIL's specialty.

Riso e Patata (Rice w Potatoes)

Get a type of rice that has the biggest kernels that you can find.
    The recipe uses 1/2 rice and 1/2 potatoes
    Put the rice in a deep saucepan--pour water and rinse it (I swirl it around and then gently pour it off)
    Then put enough water to cover it by an inch--turn on heat (keep it low, once the water boils--you want a simmer here)
    Peel potatoes and cut into small cubes (I eyeball the potatoes to be about the same volume as the rice--don't stress over this)
    My rice takes almost half an hour to cook, I put the potatoes in 10 min before the rice is done and cook w the rice.
    I keep adding water as needed and the rice absorbs.
    I use vegetable broth crystals, if you use real broth, it takes the place of water.
    Broth is usually salty so I don't add more.
    I do add pepper.
    When the rice is almost ready I add--gasp! butter--I eyeball. A good chunk (I'm feeding 4 men--all thin)
    Then (and your rice should be creamy, not watery) I shut off the heat and let it "rest" a few minutes.
    Last I add grated Parmigiano Reggiano and mix.

OMG - that sounds amazing! Oh wow, I need to try that 🤤
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member

If you like risotto--yesterday I made a family favorite that was my MIL's specialty.

Riso e Patata (Rice w Potatoes)

Get a type of rice that has the biggest kernels that you can find.
    The recipe uses 1/2 rice and 1/2 potatoes
    Put the rice in a deep saucepan--pour water and rinse it (I swirl it around and then gently pour it off)
    Then put enough water to cover it by an inch--turn on heat (keep it low, once the water boils--you want a simmer here)
    Peel potatoes and cut into small cubes (I eyeball the potatoes to be about the same volume as the rice--don't stress over this)
    My rice takes almost half an hour to cook, I put the potatoes in 10 min before the rice is done and cook w the rice.
    I keep adding water as needed and the rice absorbs.
    I use vegetable broth crystals, if you use real broth, it takes the place of water.
    Broth is usually salty so I don't add more.
    I do add pepper.
    When the rice is almost ready I add--gasp! butter--I eyeball. A good chunk (I'm feeding 4 men--all thin)
    Then (and your rice should be creamy, not watery) I shut off the heat and let it "rest" a few minutes.
    Last I add grated Parmigiano Reggiano and mix.

OMG - that sounds amazing! Oh wow, I need to try that 🤤

Every time I make it, there is nothing left. I don't make it often. Let me know if it works out for you. :)