Downsizers Team Chat - APRIL 2022

Replies

• lindamtuck2018
    lindamtuck2018 Posts: 9,477 Member
    edited April 2022
  • lindamtuck2018
    @Morethanjustanumber
    Great goals for the month. Your loss to date is amazing. The only way I have ever drank my tea or coffee is black. I have heard of Jason Fung before but I never read any of his books. I need to get back to faithfully doing intermittent fasting. I think my blood sugars were way better when I was doing it.
  • Morethanjustanumber
    Morethanjustanumber Posts: 656 Member
    @Morethanjustanumber
    Great goals for the month. Your loss to date is amazing. The only way I have ever drank my tea or coffee is black. I have heard of Jason Fung before but I never read any of his books. I need to get back to faithfully doing intermittent fasting. I think my blood sugars were way better when I was doing it.

I have always had a high fasting blood sugar ( over 100 but under 120) and is a big part of why I tried this. This morning my fasting BS was 94 which is a normal reading for me now. Honestly it is so easy for me to do IF that I don’t think I will ever go back to eating 3 meals and snacks a day. I do occasionally have a snack but it more from a social eating than from hunger. Another good book about fasting styles and options is Fast, Feast, Repeat by Gin Stephens. She is the one who advocates for a clean fast.
  • peng123
    peng123 Posts: 352 Member
    edited April 2022
    1ap4mo5v76xc.jpg

Happy Sunday, Downsizers - and - hello to the month of April! We are going to do great things this month!

My name is Cara and I joined this amazing team at the end of November. I began this weight loss journey on April 11, 2021 at a weight of 250. I was really beginning to feel the physical effects of being overweight: joints hurt, out of breath, acid reflux, not being able to sleep through the night, etc. So, I went to visit my doctor and he helped me put together a weight loss plan that is sustainable for the rest of my life. I'm happy to report that a few weeks ago, with the help of my Downsizer friends, I reached my goal weight of 150 - my goal had been to lose 100 pounds in a year. I am currently in maintenance mode - although I continue to stick with my plan of eating 1,200 calories per day and exercise 3-5 days per week. My doctor and I will begin to adjust calories in a few weeks.

Here's my daily check-in:

4/2:
    Calories: 1,162 - a little lower than usual - I was at the adoption stand all day yesterday so I just had yogurt and grapefruit for lunch
    Exercise: 70 minutes on the elliptical
    Steps: 13,599

I had a great workout yesterday - today was supposed to be a recovery day for me - but it's such a nice day - and - I have trouble getting my 10,000 steps on recovery days - so I decided to go outside for a walk/jog - it was awesome and I ended up doing 4 miles. I actually felt great - so I think I'm going to do a couch-to-10k program beginning this week.

@tahm42 Your goals for this month are so impressive - you are in such great shape!

@gharvey2753 Holy smokes! Look at you losing a lot of weight this week! Congrats!

@Morethanjustanumber Another hard-working member losing some impressive weight this week - go you!

I hope you all have a wonderful day!!

Cara
  • tahm42
    tahm42 Posts: 4,758 Member
    @lindamtuck2018 You asked on thye March thread if I swim Butterfly... Yes I can but it is a stroke the really puts great stress on my lungs. I have limp lungs...lol. I grew up with asthma and still have it but I control it and swimming has always been how I improve lung volume. I have not done it in a while but if I do make a 50 meter sprint I will let you know when that happens.
  • peng123
    g4occ91ef6no.png

A huge Downsizer welcome to

@KarlyM59
    @Cheesy567
    @roz0810
    @MsAmes77

We are so happy that you're here! Check-in often and let us know how we can be of help!

Cara
  • peng123
    @cormierannie Great loss this week - congratulations! Keep going!!
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 38,903 Member
    Good Morning Everyone ..Happy April ...If you would like to be added, removed , change your step goal for our step challenge ...Please let me know thanks :)
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    edited April 2022
    6s6kwcc3aapb.png

Here is my friendly reminder of the people's steps I need ...Please have your steps in no later than Tuesday Evening (4/5) so that I can post the results for the week and also post the results for the entire month ...If I do not have them in by then I will have no choice but to zero them out ...Thanks for understanding and your cooperation :)

@tahm42 3/27- 4/2
    @Beautyofdreams 3/27- 4/2
    @Jpedno 4/2
    @2BThinAgain5 3/27- 4/2
    @melissadreed903 3/28- 4/2
  • Gwiz401
    Gwiz401 Posts: 20 Member
    User name: Gwiz401
    Weigh Day: Saturday
    SW: 179.8 (1/7/22)
    PW: 175.2
    CW: 176.6
    LTD: 3.2

Up 3.4 lbs in 2 weeks!#?@ I shouldn't be surprised, given the "mouth parties" that I've been having.

However I'm employing a new strategy this month. I will be significantly upping my protein and getting back on track with taking vitamins.

Since entering my 50th decade the scale likes to stay within the same 10 lb range.

• MsAmes77
    MsAmes77 Posts: 4 Member
    Hey everyone- I’m new to the group and this challenge so thought I would introduce myself.

I am a single mum of two girls (13 and 10) living in Alberta, Canada.

I work full time so between that and the kids, I am pretty busy. In my free time I like to read, catch up on shows, spend time with family and friends and in the summer be outside as much a possible.

I have been on and off mfp for ages and this is the first time I’ve joined a group or challenge. I am looking forward to the motivation to get back on track!

Quick question for a newbie posting in groups. If I want to respond to a specific post, do I use the quote button in that post to reply?

Thanks and have a great day!
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    MsAmes77 wrote: »
    Hey everyone- I’m new to the group and this challenge so thought I would introduce myself.

I work full time so between that and the kids, I am pretty busy. In my free time I like to read, catch up on shows, spend time with family and friends and in the summer be outside as much a possible.

I have been on and off mfp for ages and this is the first time I’ve joined a group or challenge. I am looking forward to the motivation to get back on track!

Quick question for a newbie posting in groups. If I want to respond to a specific post, do I use the quote button in that post to reply?

Welcome to our amazing team ..Glad to have you join us ... Yes if you want to respond to a specific post you will use the quote button :)
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Weigh-in Sunday
    Cheesy567
    HW 330
    PW 232.2
    CW 230.2

Hi, I live in the north where there’s still some snow hanging around and signs of spring are slowly appearing. Hiking trails are gradually thawing out. My dog and I are typically pretty muddy these days. I live with a neuromuscular disease called Myasthenia Gravis that makes exercise tricky. I love the outdoors and being active, but too much activity and exercise can leave me paralyzed and sometimes on a ventilator; “predictably unpredictable” is how it’s described. My weightloss is mainly based on diet/ calories-in, therefore, and exercise is a fun bonus that I look forward to, not a staple of burning excess calories.

I enjoy walking routinely and hiking when I can. I have an elliptical for when the weather doesn’t cooperate. Before the pandemic I was swimming, I’m happy to see swimmers here, I’ll live vicariously through you until I can get back to the pool logistically! I’m working in physical therapy on strengthening and have mid-range goals of getting back to a weight training program.

I joined the challenge to get a jump-start on my weightloss for this year. I typically go into maintenance for the fall and winter, and start losing again over the late spring and summer. I had joined another challenge for Jan-March, which helped (I lost about 10lb) but ended. I thought I’d try this one. Plus, I’ll be on a planned road trip for part of April and can use the added support. I have many skills for staying on-plan while traveling, but can use some external accountability for the trip.

@Megan_smartiepants1970 I don’t know if I’d be a good candidate for the steps challenge or not? My step count can vary widely, and I can’t always push it. I always give best effort, but sometimes that’s 1,500 and sometimes that’s 8,000. Would that throw off your stats?

@Gwiz401 I hope the protein increase helps you, it really helps me with satiety when I’m struggling!
  • lindamtuck2018
    MsAmes77 wrote: »

Welcome to the team! I lived in Edmonton for about 6 years. I was in the military. I love Alberta. One day I hope to go visit your beautiful province again.
  • lindamtuck2018
    edited April 2022
    @Gwiz401
    Like that term, mouth parties. Hope the protein helps. I know the older I get the harder I find weight loss.

@Morethanjustanumber
    I don’t know the conversion but mine has been around 8 to 9 in the mornings which is way to high. I am afraid to see my A1C. I think I need to get back into fasting. I must read the book. I know when I am good with fasting I have nothing but black coffee and water.

@cormierannie
    Awesome loss!

@peng123
    I don’t blame you for walking in the nice weather. Great steps!

@tahm42
    I would love to take lessons to learn it but I think it would be hard on my shoulder. Actually, it wouldn’t hurt me to brush up on my other strokes.

@Cheesy567
    Fantastic loss! Your illness sounds very scary. Swimming is my go to exercise so I understand how you like it so much. I hope you find the team very helpful.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    @Megan_smartiepants1970 I don’t know if I’d be a good candidate for the steps challenge or not? My step count can vary widely, and I can’t always push it. I always give best effort, but sometimes that’s 1,500 and sometimes that’s 8,000. Would that throw off your stats?

@Cheesy567 if you would like to participate in the step challenge .. Just give me a step pledged that you think you can hit daily and post your steps in our chat either daily or weekly ... Also I can convert most exercise into steps for example your ellipitical :)
  • minstrelofsarcasm
    minstrelofsarcasm Posts: 2,204 Member
    n1bx52w74edw.png

ks0ey57ugxpg.png
    9z8i10vvdd1y.png

Leaderboardgraphic.png

Team Results
    By Percentage
    3zukgpttl8r2.png

By Pounds
    5r6zirom7i5n.png

Individual Results