This April I Will....

themedalist
themedalist Posts: 3,211 Member
edited April 2022 in Social Groups
kk5ztumd0ixa.png

Since April is the month where most of us see real changes in our environment with a resurgence of budding trees and flowers, lawns, and songbirds, Maddie and I thought we’d leverage this season of environmental change by encouraging you to make a few changes in your own environment. What do we have in mind?

Well, imagine you walk into your living room one morning, coffee cup in hand, intent on watching your morning news show. Only one problem: someone has removed all the couches and chairs and there’s no place to sit. Overnight, your living room environment has been radically altered. You can’t sit and watch TV. Your daily morning habit has been broken because your environment has changed.

Of course, this is an extreme example. But it illustrates how our environment influences and sometimes even dictates our habits and behaviors. We might want to watch less Netflix, but with the couches and chairs all facing the TV, it’s way too easy to just keep streaming.

Our homes, offices, and other spaces, together with the objects and people in these spaces, have enormous sway over our habits and behavior. As such, it’s not surprising that changing our environment is one of the most recommended strategies for changing our habits. Want to eat more fruits and veggies? Put a bowl out on the countertop for easy access. Want to get more steps in? Put a mini elliptical under your desk and cycle while you respond to emails. (I do this and it works great). Maddie keeps the food cues out of her kitchen by putting groceries in the refrigerator or cupboards. And she’s made walking outdoors even easier by keeping everything she needs for all weather walking close at hand. @biketheworld made a simple, yet powerful environmental shift in March by setting a timer to limit sitting and iPad scrolling.

Changing our habits by changing our environment has a terrific upside: these are one time changes. Set it and forget it. We don’t have to change ourselves and learn new behaviors. We’ve changed what impacts our behaviors.

Maddie and I have been so excited to see your positive responses to identify based-habits. If you want to reinforce or create a new identity in April, by all means go for it. We are here to support you. But we also hope you’ll spend some time this month critically looking at your environment for things you can change to make habit building easier. How can you make it easier to create the habits you want and how can you make the habits you want to shed more difficult to do? There are lots of possibilities.

But maybe keep the living room furniture? 😀

🌷Denise & 🌸Maddie
@themedalist & @MadisonMolly2017

New to Our Group and Habit Building?
Please read our Newcomer's Guide and our Nuts and Bolts of Habit Building. They will help make your habit stick!

Learn More:

Motivation is Overvalued. Environment Often Matters More:

https://jamesclear.com/power-of-environment

How to Stick With Good Habits Even When Your Willpower is Gone

https://jamesclear.com/choice-architecture

Replies

• donna25trinity
    donna25trinity Posts: 2,989 Member
    Habits April 2022
    *I am a person who measures her food accurately, doesnt cheat and is honest with tracking what she puts in her mouth.
    * I am a person who can be comfortable eating at maintaince calories without feeling like I always need to be loosing weight.
    * I am a person who uses a tape measure to measure her results instead of being controlled by a number on the scale.
    * I am a woman who knows Weekend intentional exercise works wonders for my mood.
    * I am a person who goes for a walk in her lunch break.
    *I am a person who does not feel the need to over explain herself.
    *I am a person who feels best wen she has an attitude of gratitude.

Love this topic @ themedalist.. There are def some changes i can make to reduce temptation. I have some cake and ice cream that calls my name, did it to me late last night actually. So I will make sure I move them to the freezer in the garage outside to make it less tempting. Xo
  • themedalist
    edited April 2022
    I’m glad our April challenge resonates with you, @donna25trinity and I really like your bulleted list of personal affirmations!

I wanted to share my favorite environmental change that I’ve made recently. My husband and I eat a fair amount of bread. It’s a staple and we always have it on hand. Always buy the same kind of bread too. I realized if I switched to a thinner sliced bread (assuming we still liked it!) it would be a modest calorie savings, especially for my husband who eats a lot of bread.

Switching to a loaf that has 70 cal per slice instead of 110 cal per slice, doesn’t seem like that big a deal. But done every day, this 80 cal difference would result in 8.3 pounds lost in a year, if everything else stays the same (ceteris paribus, for all you refugees from intro to economic theory 😀). When I looked at it that way, it made me want to make more simple changes in our grocery buying habits, because what comes into my kitchen becomes part of my environment.

I’m not sure what I’m going to change in my environment this month. But I am committed to changing one or two things.
  • themedalist
    Also, here’s a new habit tracker that I saw in another group I’m part of. Each month has a space for each day to be filled in.

kn2es5d0pqno.jpeg
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,748 Member
    Great idea for the April habit - cleaning up our environment to help our habits happen.

I have already made changes to help my habits. I avoid having salty snacks in the house order to resist eating them. Hmm... i'll be thinking about other changes to make.
  • jamcnewman
    jamcnewman Posts: 4,044 Member
    Thank you Denise and Maddie for the articles and opener for the April Habits thread! @themedalist @MadisonMolly2017 🌷🌷

You don’t have to be the victim of your environment. You can also be the architect of it.” This quote really hit home for me! I have been struggling with the challenges the presence of Covid and the lack of government health policy has created in my life as a person living with an immune compromised state. I honestly need to be finished wallowing about this now and am ready to take more control of more of that which is within my control. Some aspects of my environment could be changed to better support my success and your opener and the articles helped me to realize this. Grateful to you both. 💐

I had already made some physical changes to facilitate more success for my February and March habits (without knowing that is what I was doing 😂😂😂) and I am going to take one of them further:

If you want to drink more water, fill up a few water bottles each morning and place them in common locations around the house.” I had been taking up a 750ml (24 oz) bottle of water each night to my bedside so that I could drink 500ml/16oz immediately upon rising. That has continued and is so helpful to me. Now I have extended that with MORE placement of filled water bottles around the house. 💡💡💡

One more change I made yesterday and will hope it serves to help me with temptation: I converted three of the baskets in the cube unit by the back door to each serve to hold sweet, salty, and cracker snacks. My thinking:

- Out of sight; out of mind: items are no longer visible in the general pantry cupboard area
    - I must intentionally take the basket out to retrieve a “snack”
    - By using the baskets, I can visually confirm that I am dedicating too much of my purchasing and storage to these rarely eaten items.
    - When they were all through my pantry shelves, it was a) hard to see that there was so much “stuff”; and b) I hadn’t picked up on why I felt so tempted so often: I was seeing it everywhere. 🧐
    - At some point soon, the one basket should be sufficient for sweet and salty to share space.
    - I already sent some items out of the house and home with our daughter and her partner (they were in town visiting this weekend) to enjoy over the coming weeks.

So two bigger changes for me to try out for April: water bottles and snack storage.

I’ll keep thinking about this and what else could help me be successful both by eliminating old habits or starting new ones.
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,334 Member
    Hi everyone! Denise and Maddie, I love this month's focus! I am going to read the linked articles and think a bit before I decide what I can change in my environment. I think it's a great idea!

I've got a stress test tomorrow morning so I'll hop back on afterward and set some April goals!

Thanks for all your work putting this together. I'm excited!

Tracie
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,970 Member
    Also, here’s a new habit tracker that I saw in another group I’m part of. Each month has a space for each day to be filled in.

kn2es5d0pqno.jpeg

I love this! I printed it out :))
    Thank you @themedalist xx
  • MadisonMolly2017
    I have successfully switched to eating my raw nuts in 14g servings, which I measured at the time of my meal.

1. Now, I’m going to switch to pre measuring them into the little containers that I used to use. This way I just go into the big containers a couple of times a week ie not many times a day! I’ll make some at 7g & some at 14g.

I also switched to only eating nuts, if I’m going to eat them, at my 3 meals & with my 10:30 pm evening meds.

2. I’m going to stop the evening snack (for the meds) as I’m pretty sure there’s plenty of food in my body still from dinner.

3. So I will be eating 3 times a day.
    The summer heat is starting today, so I’ll be moving back downstairs (cooler) which is closer to the kitchen. By eating 3 meals, I think I’ll be more successful this summer.

4. Once these are in place & going well, I know the next thing is to pre-wash & chop vegetables.

5. I might set up a mini-fridge in my art studio for water & sparkling water (so I’m not going into the fridge for those.)

Basically I tend to gain a few pounds in the hot months. Part of it is being uncomfortable the heat (I still tend to eat when uncomfortable physically); part is being closer to the kitchen, and last year I noticed snacking is a slippery slope.

I’ll try this plan for the next week & thenbre-assess.

Oh & having the weights in our kitchen counter has worked great the past two days for my upper body. I’m going to print Denise’s yearly tracker out a few times, one for each of these changes. Thank you @themedalist!

How are you all doing?
    🌸Maddie
  • 77tes
    @MadisonMolly2017 - I hear you about the heat. I need to start getting my walk early to beat the heat. I like your mini fridge idea.

One thing I’m doing for my environment is setting out my clothes the night before. I used to do this when I was working - I also packed my gym bag. But since working from home and now being retired I haven’t bothered. That was a good habit and especially important since I need to get out walking earlier.
  • randypandy5001
    randypandy5001 Posts: 14 Member
    Hello! My name is Randy.

This month I am going to be accountable to myself. I have to maintain an honest discussion with myself about what I am eating. Just because I forget to track it does not mean I did not eat it. I will stop eating in shame.
  • 77tes
    Hello! My name is Randy.

This month I am going to be accountable to myself. I have to maintain an honest discussion with myself about what I am eating. Just because I forget to track it does not mean I did not eat it. I will stop eating in shame.

Hi @randypandy5001 (cute user name), Welcome to the group! It's so true about having an honest discussion with yourself about what your truly eating. I do that too. I get 'Too busy to log." Who am I kidding, right. :D There's also my wildly underestimating of portion if I don't use my food scale. As in, "hmm... this apple the size of a cantaloupe is probably 100g." >:) Great habit to work on.
  • donna25trinity
    donna25trinity Posts: 2,989 Member
    Report, Morning all, this first week of April going well. I hve increased my hours at work since starring a couple of weeks ago and bub is sick but dispite those hiccups I hve been committed to tracking honestly. I still graze but now track it. I do find myself getting in the old habit of over explaining myself at work so that's something I'll need to work on. Hve a great day. Xo
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Hello! My name is Randy.

This may be THE essential
    Skill for success in dieting/healthy eating/maintenance/habits/exercise/etc.

Many folks will keep a promise to a friend but not to themselves.

I learned to only create promises to myself that I was willing to really do whole-heartedly. Soon, it becomes a part of who you are.

The reason I track all I eat is it allows me to know exactly what I can eat - on average- and not gain. The data is very valuable but only if it’s accurate!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    “April! 🌷🌻🥀
    Beginning today, April 4, while my morning tea or coffee is brewing, I will do 10 sets with dumbbells of an arm exercise.

When that feels easy, I’ll do 2 sets, etc.

I will also continue my designated serving sizes of a 34g serving of healthy peanut butter & 14g servings of raw nuts.”

This is what I’m really doing this month.
    April 4✅ 5✅ 6✅ 7✅

I’m also setting boundaries on how busy/stressed I let myself get.
  • randypandy5001
    randypandy5001 Posts: 14 Member
    @77tes Thank you :) The only time I do not use a food scale is for non starchy veggies like: carrots, tomatoes, cucumbers, spinach, mushrooms, cauliflower, and broccoli. I tend to fill up on those veggies first. They make great snacks.
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,056 Member
    Several changes I have made:
    1. I made up my own nuts mix and now weight out 10g helpings.
    2. I preweigh popcorn into 20g helpings.
    Both of these are low calorie snacks.
    🐸🐥🐰🐥🐸🐥🐰🐥🐸
    🐸BUILDING HEALTHY HABITS🐸
    🐸🐥🐰APRIL 2022🐰🐥🐸
    🐸🐥🐰🐥🐸🐥🐰🐥🐸
    2022 WOTY: CONSOLIDATE
    🔹consolidate current habits
    🔹Explore Identity-based Habit setting
    🔹Solid Habits 30/31

Investigating positive Identity-based habits.

Who am I?
    I am a person who values the health and fitness of my body, mind, and spirit.

💡I hadn’t been keeping an eye on my macros very well recently, and discovered that my CI Fat %age had crept up quite a bit. It hasn’t impinge on my body fat %age yet, but I was beginning to suffer from my old reflux problem, so I need to address this.

This April I will ….
    …. work on keeping my CI Fat %age within 2% of my goal.

🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷
    🌷

March Habit
    Allowing myself a few Pass days going forward. I will add this to my list of solid habits.
    I am a person who refrains from eating after 9pm 90% of the time to assist efficient overnight digestion of food

🦄 Terri

• makattack220
    makattack220 Posts: 219 Member
    Hi there, I'm Mak. I know some of you from the UAC group (thanks again for reminding me about this group @MadisonMolly2017 😁💗) and am looking forward to interacting with everyone here! Mindset and habit change have been my focus since Nov 2021 when I steered my "weight loss" journey towards positive, sustainable lifestyle changes focused on overall health and wellness (physically AND mentally).

I'm feeling a bit of kismet this morning as I read the topic for April @themedalist . I am reading Atomic Habits and literally just read chapter 6 "Motivation is Overrated; Environment Often Matters More" yesterday. I made a list of 3 actionable ideas to rearrange my environment and did one right away (cleared everything but two bowls of fresh fruit off my kitchen island). The other changes are two steps in removing everything not related to my work from my home office and dedicating that space to my work. As James Clear says in chapter 6: "One space, one use." I'm grateful to have a home/situation where I can do this. It will take some creativity as we downsized significantly in our last move but I'm confident I can and will make this change! As this is a bigger project, I will dedicate at least one hour, one weekday per week to this project. My work schedule varies but looking ahead, I believe the remaining 3 Tuesdays in April will be the dedicated days. I suspect once I get going it may be something I do more frequently (until done!) but want to also set realistic goals as small, sustainable changes have been the key to success for me.

Established habits I track daily (using the free HabitShare app) include: sleep duration, meditation, water intake, 20+ mins of exercise/activity, declutter at least 1 item, no calories after 8pm to aid digestion and sleep, sleep routine (no screens, set bedtime).

The two new daily habits I decided to work on in April are: reading Atomic Habits or listening to a mindset-focused podcast (a handful I rotate) and taking notes with a focus on my desired identity-based habits -and- as a continuation of working on eating more whole foods and "unprocessing" my diet, I'm excluding flour 5+ days/week. Here is what I have so far:

✔︎ read/listen/take notes with intention on subjects towards desired identity 5+ days/week
    📚-📚-📚-📚-📚–📚-📚-8-9-10-11-12-13-14-15-16-17-18-19-20-21-22-23-24-25-26-27-28-29-30
    ✔︎ more whole foods/less processed food, this month: no flour 5+ days/week
    🫐-🫐-🫐-🫐-🫐–🫐-🫐-8-9-10-11-12-13-14-15-16-17-18-19-20-21-22-23-24-25-26-27-28-29-30

Here's my tracker for the dedicated home office space (I'll add dates and 🖇 for any additional days):
    ✔︎ work on removing all items unrelated to home office use from office space for at least 1 hour
    🖇 April 12 - 19 - 26

🐉 Mak
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Hi there, I'm Mak. I know some of you from the UAC group (thanks again for reminding me about this group @MadisonMolly2017 😁💗) and am looking forward to interacting with everyone here! Mindset and habit change have been my focus since Nov 2021 when I steered my "weight loss" journey towards positive, sustainable lifestyle changes focused on overall health and wellness (physically AND mentally).

I'm feeling a bit of kismet this morning as I read the topic for April @themedalist . I am reading Atomic Habits and literally just read chapter 6 "Motivation is Overrated; Environment Often Matters More" yesterday. I made a list of 3 actionable ideas to rearrange my environment and did one right away (cleared everything but two bowls of fresh fruit off my kitchen island). The other changes are two steps in removing everything not related to my work from my home office and dedicating that space to my work. As James Clear says in chapter 6: "One space, one use." I'm grateful to have a home/situation where I can do this. It will take some creativity as we downsized significantly in our last move but I'm confident I can and will make this change! As this is a bigger project, I will dedicate at least one hour, one weekday per week to this project. My work schedule varies but looking ahead, I believe the remaining 3 Tuesdays in April will be the dedicated days. I suspect once I get going it may be something I do more frequently (until done!) but want to also set realistic goals as small, sustainable changes have been the key to success for me.

Established habits I track daily (using the free HabitShare app) include: sleep duration, meditation, water intake, 20+ mins of exercise/activity, declutter at least 1 item, no calories after 8pm to aid digestion and sleep, sleep routine (no screens, set bedtime).

The two new daily habits I decided to work on in April are: reading Atomic Habits or listening to a mindset-focused podcast (a handful I rotate) and taking notes with a focus on my desired identity-based habits -and- as a continuation of working on eating more whole foods and "unprocessing" my diet, I'm excluding flour 5+ days/week. Here is what I have so far:

✔︎ read/listen/take notes with intention on subjects towards desired identity 5+ days/week
    📚-📚-📚-📚-📚–📚-📚-8-9-10-11-12-13-14-15-16-17-18-19-20-21-22-23-24-25-26-27-28-29-30
    ✔︎ more whole foods/less processed food, this month: no flour 5+ days/week
    🫐-🫐-🫐-🫐-🫐–🫐-🫐-8-9-10-11-12-13-14-15-16-17-18-19-20-21-22-23-24-25-26-27-28-29-30

Here's my tracker for the dedicated home office space (I'll add dates and 🖇 for any additional days):
    ✔︎ work on removing all items unrelated to home office use from office space for at least 1 hour
    🖇 April 12 - 19 - 26

🐉 Mak

Oh fantastic @makattack220 !!
    I love your plan & LOVE that you are here❣️
  • MadisonMolly2017
    April! 🌷🌻🥀
    1. Beginning today, April 4, while my morning tea or coffee is brewing, I will do 10 sets with dumbbells of an arm exercise.

When that feels easy, I’ll do 2 sets, etc.

2. I will also continue my designated serving sizes of a 34g serving of healthy peanut butter & 14g servings of raw nuts.”

This is what I’m really doing this month.
    April 4✅ 5✅ 6✅ 7✅ 8✅

3.I’m also setting boundaries on how busy/stressed I let myself get.