Senior Golden Sneakers

Replies

• jacAth3
    jacAth3 Posts: 1,682 Member
    A long exhausting day and now I’m tucked up in my warm bed with George at my feet and Betty hogging the pillow next to me. 1130pm so an early night for me and since wind and rain are promised tomorrow, I will catch you all up with news in the morning.
    Jackie 🥰
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,904 Member
    :)Anne My clothing collection is much like yours. I have five pairs of identical jeans that I wear year round. In the winter I wear fleece leggings underneath for warmth. I have a few each of sweaters, long sleeve and short sleeve shirts and sweatshirts. I wear more layers in winter than in spring or summer. I, too, replace things only when they wear out.

🌻Barbie
  • JillyBurg7
    JillyBurg7 Posts: 473 Member
    You know what BARBIE. I had a feeling we would be similar when it came to clothes, however no similarities when it comes to dancing, although I might leap about in private. I have two left feet as they say. Isn't life so much less complicated when everything is in the same colour range once you've found what shades suit you the best. Its just grab and go but I confess to having a summer and a winter "best" outfit should I be suddenly invited to dinner at the palace or the White House. Lol

After a very cold winter, Bean and I found ourselves in a sunny spot in the garden, me in jeans and a sweater. Bean amused herself with sniffing everything in sight or barking at two and four legged beings having the audacity to pass our fence, whilst I actually cut back some dead flowers from last year, left on to protect the plants. Everything had new growth, bulbs popping up everywhere and all seems to have survived. Ain't nature and spring marvellous.

We are at the "getting up" stage here so I'll love you all and leave you for now and see what my water logged little [literally she's 4ft 10ins] cous is up to in Australia. She's a very keen gardener and is forever telling me about plants I have never heard of! Snakes too, wrapped around bushes!

Cheers, ANNE.
  • jacAth3
    edited April 2022
    So here we are, Wednesday already! After walking George and Betty yesterday, I left them snoozing in my car and drove to the allotments to check friend Linda was there because she had offered to help me transfer some of my raised beds wood home. She was busy on her plot so I brought the pooches home, changed into gardening clothes and boots, then drove back. Friend Richard’s trusty backwards drill did it’s job and after a couple of hours the planks were separated and stacked ready to be brought home… some in the back of my car but most in Linda’s. While I was working I noticed the not so pleasant controlling individual standing behind me watching so I stopped to see what he might say. Nothing but hello before wandering off, clipboard clasped under one arm but when Linda got home she phoned to tell me she has received a letter accusing her of not cultivating her plot which is crazy when she spends more time there than most. So, the nastiness continues and I don’t feel I can resign while Linda needs my support but at least I can now continue creating my mini allotment in my garden.
    Another phone call came from someone I worked with 40 years ago telling me his wife has weeks to live after a cancer diagnosis and how guilty he now feels about affairs he had all those years ago; not with me I hasten to add!! What could I say other than we all have certain regrets as we get older but it’s never too late to show his love and support her as best he can.

It was raining earlier this morning so we walked locally about 1030 but not far because George has an upset tummy and was also sick as we headed home. Before 6 am yesterday I was woken up by the sound of a dog barking and realised George had slipped through the cat flap and wanted to get back in which is a sign he’s struggling to control his bowels. I’ll hold off feeding him until this evening.

Anne, since you mentioned you can’t see the pound a week club, I’ve been meaning to suggest if you look at the top left of this page, just above SENIOR GOLDEN SNEAKERS you should see ‘Viewing the message boards in English and under that, in pale blue lettering: Home > Groups > The Senior Golden Sneakers. If you click on that blue line of lettering it will take you to our front page that lists everything from birthdays to pound a week and sections we haven’t used in years! Just don’t get lost or I’ll be in trouble! 🙃

Patsy, Chrissie used to give Bella a calming chew whenever she was going to have strangers in the home to carry out work. When I helped Katie to move Bella just half a mile to Heather’s home she chewed on a couple and was incredibly calm, considering what was happening.

Bon Voyage Sandy, jetting away to warmer climes! Have a wonderful break.

Lin, I hope you aren’t worrying about those Aster seeds doing harm. Ukraine’s economy is built on agriculture and European laws ban anything nasty, including GM crops. The flower looks fascinating so I’m going to get some myself and toss them over my flower beds in a carefree way!

Sunshine and showers so perhaps it’s time for housework. Lunch first!
    Jackie🥰

• JillyBurg7
    Will do JACKIE, Anne.
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,072 Member
    Leaving in a bit to see if I will be able to receive a shingles shot today. It is cold and the wind is gusting. Some snow flakes may arrive a bit later.

I am weepy as I just saw this news.

442uliqgzhs6.jpeg

Back later.

Lin
  • jacAth3
    Oh Lin, that’s so sad. Such an amazing ambassador, loved by the thousands of his followers and devoted family. I just read about his perfect send off that was so fitting for the star he was. Great to know not all veterinary practices are just about money.

Jackie 🥰
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    A sunny cool day today. Yea! Feels so nice but I understand we have some rain working it’s way here tomorrow and for most of the weekend. Oh well!

Our big news is that our county health department is offering drive by booster shots bu appointment. We will get our appointment today. The CDC approved additional boosters so our doc said GET IT!
    I have had no real adverse reactions to any of the shots. Maybe fatigue and sore arm but not too bad considering the alternative.

The sad news about Max brought back so many memories of our dearest furry family. They all lived a good long life but never long enough in my opinion. Since I don’t have a Facebook account, I was unaware of this magnificent dog, Max. He had such a sweet face and when Lin shared the photos , it made me yearn to know more. These animals are such a gift to us. I am so sorry that he is no longer with us.

Hearing about Anne and Barbie’s organized closet, I took a look at my own. Gasp! Okay dear ones, I may not be able to affect a personality change or develop much discipline. I have those jeans with embroidery and lace on various pockets and patches. Some with glue on jewels…some jewels are coming off, I have jeans that are too small and some too large. You get the picture I am sure. Patsy is a an undisciplined kook. Just like Popeye, “I am what I am!”

Must get my Covid vaccination card and a good warm sweater, this drive by shot is very interesting. I guess these new variants could take us oldies down fast. So grateful for the change to get a shot. I hope I don’t regret this.🤞🏻

Patsy☘️🚘😷

• jacAth3
    Sandy, that’s the cutest little furry pooch in the whole wide world! ❤️

Jackie
  • JillyBurg7
    edited April 2022
    PATSY, DON'T CHANGE! We love you just as you are, a very interesting. talented and artistic lady. Wouldn't the world be a boring place if we were all the same! I'm like I am because of necessity originally but the Anne of 9 years old was far more interesting before she became a ruddy secretary confronted with filing systems etc. Jeans covered in lace and jewels are not exactly me but anyway we all had to conform in my place of work. In fact one girl was sent home because she wore white pants with underpants showing through of multi coloured polka dots and the designers weren't concentrating on designing engines anymore when she bent down! Last I heard she'd met a fellow and was sailing to the South Pacific with him on his yacht. Now THERE was a free spirit!
    Is it to late to find the Anne of long ago. Guess so. There's hope, Mary Jo calls me trouble at times.

As for booster shots I DID have an adverse reaction, and I'm still scratching, so I'd have to be pinned down to have another needle stuck in me, BUT, I'm all for folk who don't have adverse reactions having a booster so.......... go for it girl!

There is no for sale notice up next door, but various folk are showing up with a suited and agent looking man. I guess for now the owners are going for a private sale and hope the neighbours haven't seen the "for sale" on the internet.

I'm afraid I only knew about Max from LIN and JACKIE. but it's always sad to say goodbye to a much loved pet.
    Teatime for me and my much loved pet,
    ANNE
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,904 Member
    :) I keep my life simple with few clothing choices, few food choices, and simple activities and it saves me from decision fatigue. I am happy with what I have and don't put any energy wondering about the things I don't have. It is a good life. One of the signs on my fridge says "We already have everything we need " and the other says, "A secret of my life. I don't mind what happens "
    🌻Barbie
  • jacAth3
    Here’s a Max story from last year.

https://youtu.be/kWm24gNznBQ
  • JillyBurg7
    Thank you JACKIE. Beautiful dog and lovely story. Bonus, I got to see the Lake District again as well. Teary eyed on both counts.
    Anne.
  • linder4866
    edited April 2022
    I am sorry I did not get back. There was a backup of people trying to get the second Covid booster. Luckily I had not, you must be 30 days out from any other vaccination to get the Shingrix shot. Also our must wait a month after the shingles shot before scheduling a Covid shot.

And then aha, forgot, I had a Zoom meeting this evening. Just got off a meeting that started about 2 hours ago.

I have enjoyed watching Max, Harry and Paddy each and every day. I will truly miss Max. My eyes have been puddling all day. Great dog. I suppose I really latched on to these dogs as I don’t have one, Kerry is wonderful with the dogs and the scenery is magnified. So Jackie, thank you for the video.

Must run along now. Will read your posts in detail tomorrow. Am not feeling great after the shot.

Hugs.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

yyibsgjqpqgz.jpeg
  • OhDD65
    OhDD65 Posts: 177 Member
    Before the evening ends I thought I would say hello to everyone and catch you up on the happenings in our life.

We have actually had about 3 days this week with temps in the 78-85 degree range. Brought out the wicker rockers and tables from the garage placing my printed bird cushions where needed. So love this great weather as do the birds that flock to our feeder. Quail appear pretty regularly too. Do hope we get some more rain this spring before our summer heat hits us hard and the forest fires begin again.

Yesterday we were called upon to pick up our 12 yr old granddaughter from school. We brought her back to our house. She has grown up so much since our days when we took her to school and back home for the school year when she was 5. Because of that we have a much stronger bond with her than the other grandkids. She joined us going for a walk with the dog for 1.5 miles in our neighborhood. Always something new to look at landscaping wise in our neighborhood.

When our daughter picked her up she informed us they will be new owners of 2 more goats making that 5. They bought a home about 9 months ago with 6.5 acres and they are learning quickly all about the work involved in maintaining their place. So much spring grass that the herd had to be increased. Our granddaughter is loving her outside chores as is Dad. There is a pond with a canoe that she paddles around on. I frequently see ducks, geese and deer in early am photos from their deck. Since the family has always been outdoorsy people they are loving everything about it.

Not much out of the ordinary here. I am trying to increase my walking to at least 5 days a week. I need to be increasing my exercise and losing some wt. Out of shape means sore feet and knees after my walks. I have learned which shoes are headed to the garbage, but I have hopes that staying with it will pay off. My dr informed me I was prediabetic now again, but not far from diabetes. I beat that one before, so exercising and adhering to a healthier diet again I am hoping will pay off. Not ready for the next stage. Difficult enough watching my salt and sugar.

Patsy I am thinking of you with your sore hip and how difficult and painful that must be. Glad that you were able to get some help. As hard as we try to avoid mishaps sometimes these things just happen. Know about 2 broken baby toes.....

Enjoy your Arizona trip Sandy. You know where to go to get out of the cold. Isn't the heat delightful ? I think so right now. I am sure you and Babe will find your way to settle in together again. Just give it a bit of time.

Lin I am hoping you are starting to feel better after your last shot and it isn't fatiguing you too much. Get some rest or maybe just put your feet up and read. Thinking of you.

Jackie I see your green thumb is encouraging new plants again. Oh would I ever love to have a green house like you, especially during those days when I planted seedlings for our veggie garden. Now here it gets way too hot, so I doubt things would survive, but if I was in a cooler environment I definitely would make use of it. Trying to keep the plants I have alive is challenging enough.

Anne I like your clothing ideas too. My clothes are pretty traditional too, but I am finding I am loving my jeans these days with sweaters and sweatshirts. The cold just goes thru me these days. Before long I will be in my cool summer clothes and sandals.... very welcoming attire in our hot summer days.

We are preparing to get a new HVAC system installed on Monday. It will be an all day affair. Definitely a challenge for me trying to keep track of our dog and out of trouble. Naturally his groomer isn't open that day. However it will be comforting to know that our ac will keep working during our heat spills.

Well hello to those I missed also.

Time to call it a night....Night

Diane
  • JillyBurg7
    edited April 2022
    Wow, super post Diane. You live in a beautiful place but I don't think I could take the coming heat! I spend most of my days dressed just like you and why not, jeans can look great and quite classy with the right shirts. My summer mission now is a straw or cloth wide brimmed hat. They are out there. Our grandparents days of drab navy blue dresses and shapeless cardigans long gone.
    Back later because I must feed the Bean and have a shower before the groceries are delivered.
    Oh, well done LIN with the shingles shot. I'm so very glad you won't have shingles in your future!!!!!!!!!!
    Teapot is cute, can't help but love bunnies as well as dog and puss cats. Oh and donkeys. Love donkeys! If I was a rich woman I'd have a paddock with a couple of rescued donkeys in it.
    ANNE.
  • jacAth3
    edited April 2022
    A pleasant surprise today has been the lack of rain we had been promised. There’s still a keen wind but otherwise a day to enjoy so I was up and out by 8.30 to the supermarket having first mopped up the trickle of water that occurred after I left my fridge freezer to defrost overnight. A bag of frozen peas and piece of tuna steak went into the wormery but apart from that, no waste! On the way back from food shopping I detoured to buy George’s packs of frozen raw meat and Brady’s box of Whiskas food pouches then home and everything unpacked, including 2 large bags of potting compost. I took George and Betty up on the moor behind my home and that’s where the wind did show itself so at one point I struggled to walk into it without getting knocked over! It’s George’s favourite weather so he did lots of zoomies and tossed dry sheep poo over his shoulder while Betty kept out of his way!
    It’s Scruff’s mum’s birthday so I phoned to wish her a happy day then, on the way back from our walk, dropped off a card and potted blue grass plant in her porch as she was going out for the day.
    The hen house is mucked out and I’ve noticed Mizzle is looking a bit peaky so hope it’s nothing serious because vets that know about hens are scarce.
    My Blue Lake climbing French beans I sat on the heated propagator a few days ago are already showing signs of sprouting and in the post I received a pack of organic purple dwarf bean seeds and another of black mange tout peas so that will be plenty to fill my small raised beds.
    Lin, I tried to buy the Ukrainian Aster seeds online last night and received a poignant message to say they had to pause their business for now but hope to be back soon. After seeing ghastly footage of shallow graves in a plant nursery outside Kyiv yesterday it was even more upsetting.
    That cute cabbage teapot has to surely be 1950’s style.

My day to day clothes don’t alter in style as I’m comfortable in what we call jeggings, then there’s either roll neck knitted tops for walking in the Winter and since the Melanoma diagnosis, long sleeved cotton tops for warm summer days. I do have a couple of wide brimmed hats from Australia to protect my face but on a windy day worry I could take off like The Flying Nun… remember that series in the 70’s? I’ve forgotten what she got up to and will have to check online!

I always love your posts Diane and think the idea of adopting goats to tidy acreage a brilliant idea. Do they milk them too? In the fields next door to our allotments the owner has a couple of rescued donkeys and also Alpacas to protect the free ranging hens. Well that’s the idea but one afternoon last year we watched a fox creeping round their hen house while the Alpacas pretended they hadn’t seen it!
    I admire anyone strong willed enough to structure a healthy lifestyle to reverse Type 2 diabetes. It can’t be easy…. Says she who just enjoyed 2 Jaffa cakes with a cuppa!! Hopefully, once our temperatures go up enough to be outside for hours at a time, I’ll find enough self control to shake off the pounds gained since Christmas.

Here we go again Anne…. Prospective new neighbours who will hopefully be more savvy about older properties and the need for a professional survey. I just hope whoever it is will be a pleasant neighbour for you.

Patsy, I hope all went well on the booster trip and you are both feeling fine today. How’s that hip behaving too?

Time to rummage through the food salvaged last night from the back of my freezer. I’m thinking Prawns and smoked salmon with mixed salad and yogurt coleslaw so all I have to do is cook the prawns.

Jackie 🥰
  • linder4866
    edited April 2022
    Hello, still addressing Easter cards. Since postage is going up again, I ordered lots of stamps this morning. I may not send so many cards in the future. We will see. My Thursday morning friend did call today. She got her second Covid booster shot last week and plans to look into an updated pneumonia shot. She really keeps up on all the recommended injections. We discussed the possibility of trying to jump start our Thursday morning coffee group again. I am somewhat hesitant to bring up the topic. But maybe.

Also attended another Zoom meeting this morning. This one was on square foot gardening. I heard about it eons ago but I have never built any of the 4 X 4 slightly raised beds. You divide it into one foot squares and then plant each with the appropriate number of seeds or plants. One cherry tomato plant, a cabbage plant, 16 carrot seeds, etc. I guess I still will not try to build any of these beds. It continues to sound attractive.

Patsy, did you receive your booster? Feeling okay? As for your closet information, hey, I have all sorts of clothes that seemed a good idea when I got them. I love the same things I wore as a college student and young adult, married, farmer. T-shirts with decorated fronts, long sleeved shirts (tie dyed or decorated), flannel shirts, yoga pants or other comfortable long pants, lots of different types of socks and comfortable shoes or snow boots. And a number of hooded sweatshirts. You see, I cannot go anywhere that requires good clothes. But I am happy.

Anne and Barbie, both very sensible. Not an attribute of mine.

Diane, my goodness, your daughter’s family found a perfect spot to live and enjoy the outdoors. Great idea to have animals to eat the grass. We have several organizations that pay to have goats brought in, short term, to eat down weeds and long grass. They have lower mowing bills and people love to see them. You do have very warm weather. Good luck on the new HVAC installation. I hope it goes well.

Anne, please keep us up to date on the house next door. I hope the traffic to work on the house and of people viewing the house isn’t super busy. Jilly will lose her voice if things are hectic. I am with Jackie, I hope you get a good neighbor.

Jackie, did you try to order from this seed company?

https://rostok.com.ua/astra_krallen_angora_golubaya/

I think I will plant some seeds this weekend. Our heated mats are called a variety of things, heated germination mat is most common I think. But it is the same as your propagator. I do the same thing, plant seeds, put a dome over the top of the little trays and plug in the mat. Things sprout in a hurry. I remember the Flying Nun but the plots were quite silly as I remember them. Good job on defrosting! I have a chest freezer in the basement that needs it but it is full to the brim. Ooops.

I should get back to the cards.

Hello Barbie, Joy, and our vacationing Sandy.

Be safe.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

jc433c9x0ad3.jpeg
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Hello sweet friends! We have a lovely sunny day today. Katie insisted the deck door remain open. She is doing her favorite thing. After a fast game of ball, she loves the lie half in the house and half out on the deck. There are many trips out on the deck and out in the yard to chase birds, mainly our neighborhood crows. She is such a busy girl.

I grew up on a ranch and we had a variety of animals, we also boarded horses. I had a donkey as well as a bad behaved horse named Bugger. Our little donkey thought he was a puppy. He greeted us with that ear splitting honk that always sounded like a car accident! He followed me around and could reach inside my jacket pockets and sneak apples and carrots. That childhood is the reason I love most animals. Did everyone read about the rabid fox that was hanging around our nations White House? He attacked and bite several congressmen. Seriously….

Diane: great to hear from you. My hip is good most days but I still cannot raise my leg as high as I should. That will need some serious work. I cannot handle heat. I never liked it and much prefer a cool environment. My brain just stops working when I am hot. I get cranky and mean. All I can think about is how to get cooler.

Jackie: you are a very thoughtful friend. I have a hard time keeping track of birthdays. The notes and calendars do no good if I don’t refer to them regularly. I also need to clean out our freezer. I know I have a lot of antique food. John is the culprit here. He buys food and opens up the new packages leaving the older package to deteriorate. Maddening! But he likes to run to Costco or Walmart. It is an outing for him. I am lucky he likes to do the marketing. I do not!

Anne: I have discussed having groceries delivered. John wants to continue to do in person shopping for now. But there may come a time when this will change. My next booster shot is scheduled for April 13th. Things got tangled at the appointment scheduler’s desk. But no problem, we will go when they give us the high sign. I think we are now firmly scheduled for that Wednesday. New neighbors soon. I wonder if they will sell to other family or friends. Interesting developments there.

Sandy: great pool and fountain. Is that part of the condo where your daughter lives? Ohhhh my! That puppy is just way too cute! I would be tempted to try to discuss adopting that little baby. What a little love bug! Take care and hurry home to us safely!

Lin: grief over people and animals hurt just the same. The loss is felt like an arrow to the heart. I still have moments of incredible loss about Mazzie and MoMo. We were lucky to have known our spevial animals. They all leave us too soon.

Exercises in dungeon then on to the next task at hand.
    Patsy☘️🦮🎾🏋️‍♂️😎🧹🪣