introduce yourself

Very 1st day - VERY Nervous, Trying to focus on positive - the hope of a Support group, NOT anyone to shame me! I'm NOT good w this app on my phone, so i'll have to MAKE myself pull out laptop to enter food& daily exercise. MUCH Pain in my body, & during recent doctoring for an injury, the blood pressure seems to be consistently elevated, I know losing the weight WILL help, blood pressue and other health issues. NO support from the Family in the house.

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,721 Member
    You can do this!

I think most people here are quite supportive, really want to help. You may find that some have a more blunt, "tough love" communication style than others, but if you tune into the people who are communicating on your wavelength, there's much to be gained from participating actively in the Community. IMO, it's a rare, rare thing that someone posting/replying doesn't have good intentions.

I joined MFP myself when I was 59, had had borderline to high blood pressure, high cholesterol/triglycerides for a long time. Getting my body weight into a healthy range made a big, positive difference. I'm still at a healthy weight now (now age 66), and those tests are all routinely in normal range.

As far as others in your house being non-supportive: I'm not sure what that means in your case, but when I committed to lose weight, I made it a point not to talk about that (other than on rare occasions with someone who I knew was doing a similar thing). If I didn't bring it up, or be showy about what I was doing, it didn't become a topic of conversation.

If eating less/differently, and people comment on that, I'd just go with "had a heavy lunch, not that hungry now" or "it's been a long time since I've had a nice salad, so this sounds good to me right now" - just making it routine small talk, not some kind of Diet Drama. IME, reacting to others' jibes just makes them more likely to continue, while making it a non-big-deal tends to bore them out of repetition. YMMV.

This is your path, not someone else's. You're in charge. Wishing you success!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    Welcome! You've taken a great step toward improving your quality of life.
  • Sinisterbarbie1
    Sinisterbarbie1 Posts: 712 Member
    `hi and welcome! To quote an old song… dont worry, be happy! You have done the first hard thing, decided to focus on your own health needs. Now take a little pride in that and use it to take the next step, and the next, and so on. Each positive thing you do for yourself and your health will also make you stronger in your convictions that you are doing the right thing and make it easier to ignore unhelpful voices and signals.
    Also, a thing about high blood pressure - losing weight will definitely help, and it will also likely help with some pain pain management issues and pain/inflammation contributes to high blood pressure, so it is all connected.
    Good luck!