April 6

13»

Replies

• LazyBlondeChef
    LazyBlondeChef Posts: 2,809 Member
    pass day again
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,364 Member
    April 6 report: ✅✅✅ (exercise - 10 mins arm exercises and 30 minutes of exergame walking.

Monthly report: ❌❌✅✅❌✅

• makattack220
    makattack220 Posts: 219 Member
    @MadisonMolly2017 Thank you for posting this! I just read it and thought "other group... other group...🤔" and checked my groups -- and remembered about the Healthy Habits group! I cannot thank you enough for mentioning this. I joined both UAC and that group (and a few others) around the same time and apparently didn't start posting in any but UAC. (I was brand new to community/groups posting at the time and to be honest it was hard to remember to post regularly at first.😬) I'm heading over there right now to read/re-read and post!

For anyone else interested in a healthy habit building group, here's the link!
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/52-building-healthy-habits
  • Maggie_MJ
    Maggie_MJ Posts: 654 Member
    edited April 2022
    • 4 hrs on the highway but still managed 6,700+ steps
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • jamcnewman
    jamcnewman Posts: 3,973 Member
    Maggie_MJ wrote: »
    • 4 hrs on the highway but still managed 6,700+ steps
    • Yes
    • Yes
    Super job @Maggie_MJ 🌟
  • majork29
    majork29 Posts: 709 Member
    4/06

Yes
    Yes
    Yes

1 of 3
  • Elbee1
    Elbee1 Posts: 2,023 Member
    Apr 6
    No all 3
    Passes left: 0
  • donna25trinity
    donna25trinity Posts: 2,977 Member
    How to Choose a Habit that Sticks
    (Adapted from James Clear’s free e-course)

I wanted to share my notes from the first lesson in the free email course offered by James Clear, author of Atomic Habits. Thanks to many of you here in the UAC quoting and recommending it, I’m also reading the book simultaneously and am putting that knowledge to action this month! So, here are the "highlights" from lesson 1:

We naturally tend to choose outcome based habits (“I want to lose 50lbs” or “I want to run a 10k”). An alternative is to choose identity-based habits (“I want to be someone who puts their physical and mental health first” or “I want to be someone who exercises every day”).

Long-term changes are hard to sustain if we don’t shift the belief we hold behind the behavior. It’s easy to hit the gym or meal prep once or twice but improvements are only temporary until they become a part of who you are. “The ultimate form of intrinsic motivation is when a habit becomes a part of your identity.” In practice, this means taking identity-based habits to the next level by saying “I am the type of person who IS this” (vs. “I am the type of person who wants this).

Your identity and habits are a feedback loop: the more you repeat a behavior, the more you reinforce the identity associated with that behavior and the more you reinforce the identity, the more natural it will feel to repeat the behavior. "Every action you take is a vote for the type of person you wish to become.”

Think about your desired identity and ask “Who is the type of person that could get the outcome I want?” This points you toward the habit to focus on. It is far more important to focus on becoming that type of person, not getting a particular outcome. Remember, change is gradual but with each “vote” for your desired identity your internal belief system starts to shift.

Who is the type of person that could get the outcome you want?

Here is a link for the free e-course “30 Days to Better Habits” in case you’re interested:
    https://jamesclear.com/30-days

Love James clear I read the book in Nov after also hearing it reccomended on here and it was life changing... seeing my habits, choices and motivators in a totally different light. I took up running, stretching, consistent mediation and journal writing since then. Xo
  • makattack220
    Love this @donna25trinity thank you for sharing! 💗
  • seilidhe
    seilidhe Posts: 1,042 Member
    4/6/22
    Exercise? Yes
    Tracking? Yes
    Calories? No
  • StayFITTer
    StayFITTer Posts: 549 Member

I love this prompt and I feel I'm going to flesh this out in my journal! But I'd say a person who embrace risk and imperfection can help me overcome "living with the breaks on" or the tendency of waiting on things to be perfect before taking action. I need to override the identity label of being a perfectionist.

@makattack220 I love James Clear and I love this post. Thank you so much for sharing. It's so important to focus on your "who" and not solely on your "do". Who you are helps to inform what you do. I find that focusing on actions causes me to be myopic in my point of view, less gracious and to overgeneralize when I do make mistakes. In my experience, when you focus on who you are becoming, you begin to enjoy the journey and embrace the process.
  • makattack220
    StayFITTer wrote: »
    I love this prompt and I feel I'm going to flesh this out in my journal! But I'd say a person who embrace risk and imperfection can help me overcome "living with the breaks on" or the tendency of waiting on things to be perfect before taking action. I need to override the identity label of being a perfectionist.

@makattack220 I love James Clear and I love this post. Thank you so much for sharing. It's so important to focus on your "who" and not solely on your "do". Who you are helps to inform what you do. I find that focusing on actions causes me to be myopic in my point of view, less gracious and to overgeneralize when I do make mistakes. In my experience, when you focus on who you are becoming, you begin to enjoy the journey and embrace the process.

Love this! @StayFITTer thank you for sharing!